What to eat when you are broke!!??

Options
Sooo its nearing the time before pay day again and we have run out of funds and I am almost completely out of healthy options. This is where my mind goes crazy and I am in need of support :O(

Replies

• rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest frozen veggies, eggs, whatever meat is on sale (often chicken thighs), whatever produce is on sale (salad makings), beans, and along that line. In my experience probably unhealthy foods can be just as expensive.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sooo its nearing the time before pay day again and we have run out of funds and I am almost completely out of healthy options. This is where my mind goes crazy and I am in need of support :O(

Dry beans, rice, pasta, whole chickens to break down if you can afford it, ground beef
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    In the summer veggies from my garden
    Every other month all the veggies from what I froze from the summer and fall.
  • bleedingdesu
    bleedingdesu Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    if you can find a store that does bulk foods (I know winco in the west does), quinoa is great! I can get it for two bucks a pound. Beans, rice, canned and frozen vegetables.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    When i am skint....which is alot.....I buy a big bag of potatoes, which can be jackets, boiled, or even wedges....beans and some meat thats on offer. I also freeze meat some times, so during the hard times I can still eat protein lol.
    Also make larger portions of thing and freeze some of it for anouther time. I live off frozen portions when my money runs out!!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, cheap, filing and they are good on protein, fiber and potassium.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

Dry beans, rice, pasta, whole chickens to break down if you can afford it, ground beef

Sam's Club has whole chickens for right around $5.00 & they're bigger than you'd find in most grocery stores.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Ramen and soup is cheap. I know they are higher in sodium, but when your broke, but they are low in cals.
  • joannbartosh
    joannbartosh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am on low income and Link right now and have the same problem. I have been taking to eating small amounts of food several times a day and it keeps me from having to make big meals. Everything that has been suggested I agree with, but if you don't have the money it is harder to do. I enjoy getting fruit from Aldi and getting some vanilla yogurt and eating that as a meal. It is cheaper than buying the mixed stuff. Just my suggestion.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Sam's Club has whole chickens for right around $5.00 & they're bigger than you'd find in most grocery stores.

Agreed... And if you're not averse to it, you can make a great soup stock from the carcass...
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Porridge/oatmeal for breakfast
    Soups / stews made from any leftover veg/meat/fish and padded out with beans or lentils
    Chick pea curries, rice, pasta, etc.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    If you need cheap meat, check your grocery's meat section for meat they're pushing to sell that day. Last week we got nearly two pounds of salmon for about ten bucks and about a week's worth of chicken breasts and thighs for 6 bucks. I usually buy meat in bulk and just portion it out and freeze it so I don't have any waste. Also try looking for food at smaller markets-- they usually have lower prices. I know some dollar stores sell groceries as well-- the selection isn't the greatest but it's cheap.
  • Kidlaa
    Kidlaa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also go through this sometimes and frozen vegetables are life savers. I buy a bag of frozen mixed vegetables for about $1 or $2 a bag and usually lasts me about a week. Also, tuna cans (.75 cents a can), eggs, tofu ($1.50 a square), and brown rice ($1.50 a small bag) are cheap and can last for a couple of days. Grilled tofu, brown rice, and sauteed mixed vegetables make a great meal!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If you need cheap meat, check your grocery's meat section for meat they're pushing to sell that day...

Great mention ^^ ~ I've gotten meat 1/2 price when it's on or near the expiration date. OP, if you don't see any in the meat case, you might want to ask the butcher at your grocery store if they have any you could buy. Same for produce, ask the manager. Last week I noticed a bunch of yogurts which were the day before expiration, I showed the manager, they dropped the price in 1/2.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Buy a bag of frozen chicken tenderloins, each one is a good portion size
    Buy store brand marinades to jazz up the chicken
    The clearance racks in the back of the store have marked down bread
    Look for tortillas on sale for $1 - good for wraps and make you fuller
    Make a big batch of chili (make you own, not the individual cans) and freeze it in small containers
    Make lasagna - portion size into small containers and freeze
    Ramen - throw in scrambled eggs (or whites), a little cooked rice and more frozen veggies to make it into a bigger meal
  • kmpublishing2
    kmpublishing2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try experimenting with dried beans, oats, and even frozen veggies. Watch for sales and even coupons-- but make sure the coupon actually SAVES you money over other similar options, since they tend to be for more expensive name brands.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

Agreed. Whole chicken or other cheaper parts is good. Same with pork (like pork butt of shoulder roasts).
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Agreed. Whole chicken or other cheaper parts is good. Same with pork (like pork butt of shoulder roasts).

Yes! Whole chicken and ground beef are cheap. Lentils. Rice. Potatoes. Really, I'm always skint. I shop the sales and jazz things up with onions, herbs, and hot peppers (all cheap).
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

I agree with all the foods listed above and if you don't mind "generic" there is yogurt and the above ingredients are great for homemade soup! I also buy all my meat when it's on sale and freeze it so when the price zooms up I still am able to still have meat as part of my meal...one thing that has really increase the amount of my groceries and lowered my grocery bill is portion control...I was eating triple the amount that I am eating now and can't believe how less often I need to fill my pantry:)
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I slice a large zucchini, yellow squash, and an onion and saute them with a large can of diced tomatoes. It's cheap and makes about 6 cups/servings of delicious low cal goodness!