Exercising is so discouraging, I was only

Options
able to do 15min on the treadmill, because my legs started itching & burning. Then I did Hip Hop Abs got 14min into it, and was out of breath, oh and I'm a 125 pounds overweight. This is going to be something else!

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Out of breath means doing it right, it's notsupposed to be easy! Don't give up
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It gets better every day.. I'm not gonna lie and say easier, because the better you get, the harder you should push yourself... but then it becomes a drug and you need to be sweaty, and shaky, and out of breath.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    And next time you might be able to push for 16mins on the treadmill. No one could go from being sedentary to running a marathon. Don't give up, you'll start making progress before you know it.
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    stick to it! add 1 minute each day but stay consistent. You won't regret it!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    stick to it! add 1 minute each day but stay consistent. You won't regret it!

Yep! Doing 15 minutes is better than sitting on the couch - and in a year when you're thinking back to when you could only do 15 minutes you'll be glad you stuck with it!
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Itching and burning as in they felt really warm or as in your muscles were extremely sore?
  • naturesgate
    naturesgate Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I remember back in high school I couldn't even run for 8 minutes straight. Now I can run for 35+ mins at a continuous pace and I know that's nothing really to write home about but its progress. You gotta stay positive!
  • nemrut
    nemrut Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It may take a while, but suddenly you will begin to notice a difference and it won't seem so discouraging any more.
  • CantStopWontStop92
    CantStopWontStop92 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You're doing it right! I don't workout with a number of minutes or reps in mind, I go til I can't go any more and I've seen results:)
  • pjhogan8
    pjhogan8 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good luck, HotCocoa. It is really hard and I know what you mean about exercising. I did a lot of hiking this weekend and had hoped it would have helped the bottom line (so to speak), but I stepped on the scale this morning and I gained a pound. :(
    The exercising and shortness of breath does get better. When I first start riding my bike in the spring I near die going around the block, but by summer's end I'm exhilarated taking a 10 mile ride.
    Hang in there! You'll do great. :flowerforyou:
  • danglarity
    danglarity Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Everything gets better with time! There were workouts where I had to take several breaks just to get through them. Now I don't take breaks on them and have to do them longer to get that same intensity. Aren't you curious about what you could become? Time and patience are the answer just don't give up. Don't give up...
  • Sylph13
    Sylph13 Posts: 15
    Options
    I hear you.. I was just talking about this! I really do not love working out.. wish I did - I used to and it was awesome. Persistence is key I guess :happy: fake it 'till you make it lol
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    It gets easier. I used to think wlking half a mile was a good walk.

Now the thought of walking a mile makes me laugh, because I do 2-4 regularly.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself and keep on plugging! Next month, you'll be able to do 30 minutes, then on to an hour. You CAN do this. It took you all these years to get out of shape, it will take you many years to get back into shape. Doing something, moving as much as you can, is better than sitting back thinking about it! Keep on plugging! You're going to feel so great.
  • Robbers15
    Robbers15 Posts: 1
    Options
    Keep at it. i only started running 4 weeks ago and could barely do 10 minutes!! I've doubled that already in a short space of time. You have to stick at it for it to get easier!
  • Squirkie
    Squirkie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    15 minutes on treadmill and 14 min of Hip Hop Abs! That's almost a half hour workout! You did great! Try to do it at least 3 times a week. Then add a minute like suggested.

You have to start somewhere and you did -GREAT JOB! Just do not, DO NOT, give up. It will get better and feel better. Just keep going...you'll see :-)
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great workout! You don't go from 0 minutes of exercise to the full 45, starting at 15 to 20 minutes is great!
  • myrasays
    myrasays Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    100% true. I started at 10-15 min of running (which was more like run-stop-run-stop) and then worked the run-stop combo up to one hour & 5 miles in about 3 months.
    My very fit, tennis-pro boyfriend can't even keep up.

Nice job! You're already kicking butt ahead of the curve!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Its good to be out of breath, that means you are working hard enough. Once your heart rate peaks you can reduce intensity for 30-60 seconds to recover. Then, increase the intensity to push again!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    No no, you're looking at this all wrong. You're 125 pounds overweight yet you were able to do 15 minutes on the treadmill and 14 minutes of HHA! Good for you!! Better that than just sitting on the couch and getting fatter, right?!

Next time, instead of coming to a full stop after 14 minutes becuase you're out of breath, press pause, walk around the house a bit while you catch your breath, take a few sips of water then press play and continue, Even if you can only do another 5 minutes, that's 5 minutes more than you did last time! By the way, I still love doing HHA! It's so fun and I feel the effects even more now that I'm more fit and can push harder.

Keep working at it and, trust me on this, it will get easier. You can do this!