Exercising is so discouraging, I was only

Options

Replies

• Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    Keep at it though!! Eventually it'll be like a walk in the park to you :)
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Don't give up - exercise will change how you feel about yourself- you will feel stronger and stronger- then watch out world!
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    All of these friends are correct in saying that it will get better. I found, however, that if I can not breathe or hurt too badly, I stop doing that form of exercise because pain really is not a good thing. Having been close to 300# for a long period of time totally screwed up my knees, ankles and lower back, so overdoing any exercise cause much pain. I have found that water aerobics and laps really help because I will do them knowing that the pain is less severe for those exercises. If you have a chance, maybe you could try them, too. Whatever you decide to do, remember that baby steps will still get you to your goal, it will just take longer. Good Luck, Take Care of Yourself, and keep taking those small steps!
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i have to agree with the others it does get better and rather quick when i first started in feb. i was able to do 15 mins on my elliptical i slowly increased it to one hour on low resistance now i split it up in 2x 30 mins a day doing HIIT and burn double the amount then i did starting out going for 1 hour
  • hhaddock
    hhaddock Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You CAN DO IT. You just cannot give up...you are doing better than sitting on the couch. I just repeat this to myself when I am hurting or wanting to quit during my walk. I hope I will be able to run one of these days. For now, I do my walking, I have added zumba back into my routine and I have done one kettle bell workout and will try to keep doing that and getting better at it. You just have to stick with it. It will get better, you will do more and you will lose weight and gain so much more.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I remember back in high school I couldn't even run for 8 minutes straight. Now I can run for 35+ mins at a continuous pace and I know that's nothing really to write home about but its progress. You gotta stay positive!

i can also remember when i was new to serrious exercise and it seemed like the kids that could just do it were on some other level then i was.

To the OP, believe it or not what you really need to over come is far more mental then physical. pretty much all exercise that produces results is also going to produce a significant amount of discomfort when you are acutally doing it.

It isn't so much that you get into better shape and the exercise becomes easier (although it certainly will), its more that you become comfortable being uncomfortable.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm 150lbs+ overweight but am swimming, doing cardio and strength work (as well as making sure I eat a calorie deficit). For the cardio I'm doing C25K (couch to 5km) I finish week 3 tomorrow morning although its taken me 6 weeks to get there. Yes its hard and I'm puffing like a steam train by the end but it does get easier and seeing the weight come off and muscle tone start to appear through the fat its worth it. Its a long journey but exercise is a big part of it to be healthy as well as thin by the end. Pace yourself, if necessary walk rather than run and build up to a jog. Enjoy it because it does become addictive - in the space of 8 weeks I've gone from disliking getting out of breath to training 5 times a week. Good luck :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Keep at it you did great! Add 1 minute extra per week and keep building slowly. You can do this!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Dude, you did 30 minutes of exercise today! That's amazing! I consider myself to be pretty fit and I can't do more than 15 mins on the treadmill either, mainly cause I just really hate the treadmill haha. Take it one day at a time. Tomorrow try hip hop abs again, maybe you'll get 15 minutes into it before stopping this time. Eventually you'll be able to do the whole video.

Great job on your progress so far, you can do this :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!!!! That's awesome that you're taking the first step and dedicated a half hour toward your progress, congrats!! Don't let your own over reaching expectations at the beginning of your new lifestyle be your downfall. It's very difficult to be realistic about where we actually are (most of us think that we are in better shape than we actually are at the beginning) and it's very difficult to be realistic about where we're going.

What do you have? A realistic base line. The great thing about this baseline is that now you can come up with a long term goal and reasonable incremental goals along the way. Next time go a minute longer, or look at your distance and go a 1/4 mile further, or look at the incline and play with that . . . you have so many great opportunities here!
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it and your endurance will build.

It will always be hard. But you will gain more and more confidence because you know what you're capable of and that is more than what you started off.

Every chance I get I show off my arm muscles haha. My attitude towards my own body has changed so much and I know you will be the same.

Keep up the HARD WORK!
  • HollyTsab
    HollyTsab Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! Keep it up and you will be amazed at how far you'll get before you know it. Never give up!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    i tried to do the C25K. I didn't even make it half way through. Grrr. I feel your pain.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    ohh one of my favorite saying is

NO MATTER HOW SLOW YOU GO, YOU ARE STILL LAPPING THE PEOPLE ON THE COUCH!!!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. In a few months, you'll be doing twice the time with half the effort.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Out of breath means doing it right, it's notsupposed to be easy! Don't give up
    THIS! Stay with it. When I started "boot camp" a year ago, we did three sets of ten each pushups, situps, and jumping jacks, and I thoght I was gonna die. Now, that is just for warmups. Go get, 'em, girl!
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Give yourself credit. At least you are doing it! :smile: 15 minutes here and 15 minutes there is a half an hour of exercise a day! A good start for someone just starting out....
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    It is tough when you start out, but it is worth it to stick with it. I was 490lbs when I finally decided to do something about it.

I started out just walking. That first day I went maybe a mile, and it hurt, I won't lie about that. But within 3 months I was walking 3+ miles at a time. At that point I joined a gym and started using the elliptical machine, the exercise bike and lifiting weights. I just kept upping my cardio as my body allowed me, and got up 2 hours of cardio and weight lifting 5 days a week. Between that and learning to track and control what I eating, I was able to lose 250 lbs in about 20 months!

Now I can run 5+ miles without an issue, and took a 21 mile bike ride yesterday!

Stick with it, it will work for you!
  • Nmira09
    Nmira09 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    That's normal! I was always out of breath and could not last very long. Now I feel as though it has gotten much easier. I can take a zumab or kickboxing class and last the full hour. Before, I would have to pause over and over. Keep going! You will get better at it! (=
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If you're out of breath and having a hard time, you're doing it right. Just plug through it. I started out last year in the same place as you. It does get easier, you just have to stick with it.