Help! New runner with sore hip..

Options
So I am a pretty new runner - finished the couch to 5k program about a week ago - now I am continuing to go for jogs whenever I can. However, what I was unaware of was that since I finished my C25K program I have not taken a rest day..

Last night when I was on my jog nearing the last km of my 5k route my hip started to feel sore. I pushed through and finished - very slowly. As I walked home the soreness and discomfort continued. I was hoping that it would be gone by the morning - however 2:30 in the afternoon the next day and the discomfort continues. It is awkward to walk or even move around.

I am really worried and wonder if this is just my body telling me to take a rest day or if I have injured my hip by pushing myself to far to quickly.

If anyone has any insight on this it would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Take a couple of days off to rest. Ice and Aleve/Advil should help reduce some of the pain. If it doesn't go away by the end of your rest days see your doctor. You might have pulled something or strained a muscle. If the pain gets worse then see your doctor immediately.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I have bad hips, and they seem to be less sore if I make sure to stretch them a lot after every run. (It also helps my lower back pain - sciatica problems run in my family and I have noticed it since I was a young teen). I agree with sarahvalentine311, take some time off to relax it, then try to make sure to keep it well stretched in the future.

I've also heard great things about foam rollers for people with hip problems, but I've never used one so I can't really tell you how it works.

ETA: Try not to run too much. You need rest days. Once this soreness goes away and you're back to running, I'd keep with 2-3 rest days each week. And remember that your rest days don't have to mean no exercise. If you still want to do something, try a low impact workout like swimming or do some strength training. But running is hard on the joints, and your body needs the time off to recover.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If you have a chiropractor you may just need to see them. Mine will go out and I can hardly walk, couple of adjustments and I am back on track. Take some advil, rest and see what happens.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    What does your mobility program look like?
  • saroknight
    saroknight Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! I have been relaxing all day and after dinner went for a little stroll with my pup and noticed that the pain in my hip has pretty much subsided. I am going to take it easy for the rest of the evening and then see how I am feeling tomorrow.. Perhaps I'll be able to go for a light jog :)

I will defiantly incorporate more rest days into my weekly jogging regimen - which mainly consists of going for 5k. However some days I just can't seems to muster up enough energy so I'll just go for a short while - usually faster then my normal pace and then walk the rest of the way.
  • b_ray_73
    b_ray_73 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I first started running again I frequently had issues with my hips getting sore. What I found it was stemming from was really tight hip flexors. It might be worth looking for some stretches for them and seeing if those help.