Zumba - Calories Burned in 1 hour?

2»

Replies

• JuliePleasant
    JuliePleasant Posts: 72 Member
    I am going to a zumba class about 3 times a week. I weigh 143. I burn between 700 - 1000 calories per class. My instructor in very intense. I think it depends on your instructor and the effort you give. Hope this helps. I love Zumba:-)
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Definitely get an HRM for Zumba if you can! I wore mine for a one hour class on Wednesday night and it said I burned 483 calories. Different instructor for a more intense one hour class yesterday and it said I burned 633 calories. It can vary so much from class to class, especially if the place you go has different instructors with different routines/paces/intensities.
  • According to zumbacalories.com and my HRM, I burn about 1000 calories an hour at my good Zumba place. I'm 5'3", 196lbs.
  • HDRockerCgirl
    HDRockerCgirl Posts: 3 Member
    I have a similar question. I am a 50 year old female, I use the polar heart rate monitor with chest strap. I hike at a local park up and hills, with fallen trees to climb over, some to duck under and some streams and ditches to jump across. For 1 hr 48 mins HRM says I burned 823 calories today. Says in zone for 48 mins, average HR was 136 and maximum was 169. Doesn't that sound like an awful lot of calories? I weigh 184 lbs. I mean how accurate is the polar and should I trust it?? Thanks for any advice.
    Barb
  • Fjcookie
    Fjcookie Posts: 48
    Depends on your weight and the intensity of the workout. I would get a calorie counting device that tracks calories during Zumba
  • LowFatMama
    LowFatMama Posts: 625 Member
    An HRM would be your best bet for accurate reading. But, until then go to http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/
  • trudieburrell
    trudieburrell Posts: 8 Member
    I teach Zumba Fitness and I'm 50 years old and I weigh about 164 & I'm 5' 7.
    Teaching at an intermediate level I burn about 500 on avg.
  • trudieburrell
    trudieburrell Posts: 8 Member
    I trust he polar. I'm a fitness instructor and the polar is the most accurate in my opinion.
    I'm 50 too.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    There is a zumba option on MFP
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    HRMs are only near accurate for steady state cardio activities with established oxygen uptake relationships established through lab testing. Zumba does not fall in that category.