Should I start strength training?

Options
saeede83
saeede83 Posts: 96 Member
Hi MFP experts,

I have just recently started logging my calories and exercising regularly (almost over a month). I was successful losing some weight, but I have a long way to go. I am currently 5'4, 232 lbls. I eat around 1500-1900 calories per day and including exercise I usually burn around 2500 calories a day.
I started C25K training last week and I get to do cardio 3 days a week but I'm not sure whether I should continue walking/jogging on the other days or start a strength training program. Is it a good idea to do strength training at my weight? What other exercise programs do you suggest?

I appreciate your feedback

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    The answer to this question is always yes. It's never too early to start. New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good beginner read. What access to weights do you have?
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    The answer to this question is always yes. It's never too early to start. New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good beginner read. What access to weights do you have?
    Seconded.

I'm also doing c25k, and tonight I'm starting NROL4W that Michele mentioned. There are lots of studies that cardio alone isn't going to give you the "fit" look you might be going for anyway. Starting strength training will also help your cardio training.
  • saeede83
    saeede83 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks Michele, I have a gym membership where I was going for my cardio. Can I start strength on my own or do I need to hire a trainer?
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If you can afford a trainer, I'd go that route. Learn proper form, get comfortable with weights and then go on your own. If not, google weight training for women. There are tons of exercises with pictures to help you.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    Thanks Michele, I have a gym membership where I was going for my cardio. Can I start strength on my own or do I need to hire a trainer?

I would recommend doing it on your own. 99% of trainers have no idea what they're talking about. You should pick a simple, beginner's weight lifting program like stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength. If you have questions about form you can pm me with videos or just go on youtube and watch videos of powerlifters to get an idea of what your form should look like.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Definitely agree with THIS! Strength training helps retain your lean muscle mass as you loose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Definitely get started on the strength training. It is going to do more for your physique than anything else. Cardio and diet alone isn't going to do it....cardio is just weight lifting for your heart and cardiovascular system.

Trainers can be hit or miss, so be careful there. There are a few really good ones at my gym, but most of them suck and have so much bro-science flowing from their *kitten* that you can't help but wonder if they just hand out those training certificates for sending in a check or something.
  • adflory2003
    adflory2003 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes for sure start strength training...I workout with a friend 3x/wk and lift heavy...and I love every bit of it. I am still the same weight...but I have dropped body fat...and that is what i ultimately want. Good luck! :)