30 DAY SHRED

Options
OK I want to address this question to any women over the age of 40 and who have substantial weight to lose. I started day 1 of this DVD today and I didnt make it past the second round. I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem? I had too Pee constantly during the jumping Jacks and to be honest I cant remember the last time I even thought about a push up lol.

I just want to put it out there that I actually had a really really difficult time doing this DVD and I am not ashamed to say to.

Debbie

Replies

• mstarrett01
    mstarrett01 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm not 40, but 28, and I go to the gym and chase my 16 month old around and walk, I think I am pretty active. Well I did the shred, and DAY 1 KICKED MY BUTT!!! I had to stop and take breaks, and i COULDN'T BREATH, I was SO THIRSTY! So its not just cause you are in your 40's, me being 20 something I almost died. But then I did the second day, and that was a week later (I WAS SO SORE AFTER DAY 1, I couldn't walk my left calve was KILLING ME), I did a little better, I stretched more and wasn't as sore. But I haven't done any other days, cause I am lazy and my bed is so cumfy ( I do it in the morning, only time I have time to work out is 5 am before I go to work). Your good, just keep it up it gets better!
  • WeightingForSara
    WeightingForSara Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm not 40ish either, I'm only 24, but I have a huge amount of weight to lose also (about 65 more lbs) and I barely made it through day one too. I also have some knee issues, so the jumping jacks were VERY hard for me too. You're definitely not alone in this one.
  • Kaitlyn920
    Kaitlyn920 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    From my experience, the first day is really hard and you are usually sore for a few days after. But I have kept up with it and really I am never sore anymore after. Sometimes I have to take breaks (and I consider my self in decent shape--normal BMI, run up to 5 miles a few times a week, etc). Its a good work out in short amount of time and hits things that I usually don't do (arms, abs, etc). Stick with it and I think you will be surprised :)
  • Liz75
    Liz75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had my first try at level one today n yes there are quite a few jumping jacks going on..I remember her saying she has 400 pound
    people doing them so no excuses.. But I would just adapt it, do side taps n get your arms pumping,keep at it, it'll get easier..I'm not sure about the peeing urges,maybe look into pelvic floor exercises to strengthen them,hope this helps and good luck ;-)
  • tlraney1
    tlraney1 Posts: 10
    Options
    I am now on day 5 of the Shred and had a hard time with the first few days. Trust me, it does get better. Don't give up!
  • jlayney
    jlayney Posts: 22
    Options
    I have 25 lbs to lose and i'm a distance runner...and that 30 day shred is soooo freaking hard. i think that's the point. jillian is mean and scary (but i still love her). i was so super sore for the first 5 days. and i have never been able to do it 30 days in a row. too hard. but the point is that you are trying, and if you didn't finish today, no big deal. try again tomorrow, and maybe you'll do a little more. as long as you are making the effort, then you shouldn't get discouraged. :)

J'Layne
  • ashley0424
    ashley0424 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the 30 day shred and I'm not 40 but I have done p90x and I have struggled with every part of that too. Just try to remember you are working out in your own home so if you need to pee or take brakes then take them, It's not a race to the finish (ahh the luxury of the pause button). start with one push up or as many jumping jacks as you can handle then ad a few more the next day, build your body up slowly. Before you know it you'll be doing the routine without breaks but it takes time.

Sore muscles are the worst and they really effect the next days workouts. To prevent soreness I usually have some sort of protein after my workout - even a glass of skim milk (or chocolate milk) helps a little.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have to agree..this dvd is tough for me too (I just finished day 6 of level 1) and I have been working out at taekwondo 3x a week for 9 months and it STILL was brutal for me.

My calf muscle was in rough shape for the first several days..I don't shred every day as I do it on my non-tkd days so if I was an every day shredder I would have had to give it a break.

I think that you should do what you can do, if you have to take a break that is okay..I think each time you will improve a little, only today can I get thru that last set of bicycle crunches without stopping! And you can stay on level one for more than 10 days..whatever is right for your body.
  • sublimechik28
    sublimechik28 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    ur gonnnaaa love level 3 when u get there lol. it gets easier trust me i did it 30days straight and its sooo worth i was 195lbs when i started it so it was freaking hard but now i can two shred sessions level 1 and 2 or level 2 and 3 its great strength training. so its hard now but ull get there u need to stick w it ur body is freaking amazing and do sooo many things so long as u put ur mind to it!
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am 30, and I had to pee during the jumping jacks too! The first time was horrible and I hurt so bad for a few days. But for me it did get better.
  • sarwood1
    sarwood1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 19 of 30DS now. And its hard... but so far I have lost 11 pounds. I can promise I have made more modifications than anyone. My advice is to do as many jumping jacks as you can and then either do punches or butt kicks til they are done with the jumping jacks. And for the push ups, look up how to do a modified push up on the internet... (I think that it shows you on the website for 100 push up challenge). I had to start with a wall push up then work my way up to a knee push up.
    Good luck and just have fun with it.
  • JUSTFORME2010
    JUSTFORME2010 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE... I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE KIND WORDS. EVERYTIME I READ SOMETHING ON HERE ABOUT IT PEOPLE WERE RAVING ABOUT IT AND I THOUGH THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME. I DONT THINK I HAVE DONE A PUSH UP SINCE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AND WELL I DONT THINK JUMPING JACKS ARE SUPPOSE TO MAKE YOU PEE (HAHAHA)

SO THANK YOU AGAIN I WILL ABSOLUTELY TRY AGAIN TOMORROW.

DEBBIE
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE... I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE KIND WORDS. EVERYTIME I READ SOMETHING ON HERE ABOUT IT PEOPLE WERE RAVING ABOUT IT AND I THOUGH THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME. I DONT THINK I HAVE DONE A PUSH UP SINCE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AND WELL I DONT THINK JUMPING JACKS ARE SUPPOSE TO MAKE YOU PEE (HAHAHA)

SO THANK YOU AGAIN I WILL ABSOLUTELY TRY AGAIN TOMORROW.

DEBBIE

that's the spirit!
    let us know how it goes :bigsmile: