Intermittent Fasting- 16:8

Options

Replies

• Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am on day 5 of 16:8. It's not as difficult as I thought it would be. It really is just 'mind over matter'. Also, I have discovered the difference in feeling 'bored hungry' and 'hungry'. I plan to stick to it for a full 6 weeks and then decide if this will be a lifestyle change or if I need to modify for my personal needs.

It is very hard to wrap your head around NOT eating within the first hour of waking up! It goes against all the nutrition logic that I previously knew.

I am not reducing my calories at ALL. I just eat them during an 8 hour window.

Good Luck to ALL! :flowerforyou:
  • methridg
    methridg Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thinking about starting this, any more recent updates on how its gone for other people?
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I have been following a 16:8 approach for about a month or two now accompanied with weight training for recomp and lean mass gain, very similar to what is outlined at leangains. I used to love eating breakfast everyday because I love milky cereal and toast. Now I just prefer to not eat until about 2pm and finish getting my calories in by 10pm. I hold to this very closely during the work week, but allow for exceptions on the weekend if social situations call for it. That usually still means no "breakfast." I've found that extending my overnight fast is not difficult at all. I used to get starving while I was at work when I ate breakfast, and then starving toward the end of the day in anticipation of dinner. Now when 2pm rolls around, I know I am hungry, but I don't have that distracting starving feeling that I used to know so well. I have a lunch (technically it's a breakfast), which more than holds me over until I get around to eating dinner, which is typically after 7:30. I am incorporating 3 weight training sessions a week after work. On the days I train, I add about 500-600 calories to my dinner (after workout). The other days I keep right about at maintenance. That provides for a slight surplus for the week, which is in line for my goal of gaining some body weight (as muscle).

Blabber blabber... anyhow, I love this approach. I do keep track of my calories because it is important for me to get enough for the day, but not too many. It's refreshing not to be held down by the traditional (and false) fitness dogma that you're supposed to eat 6+ meals a day, always eat breakfast in the morning, and never eat past 8, otherwise your metabolism will magically crash to zero. I also have a huge appetite, so it is nice to be able to eat big when I do eat. And eating when I am actually hungry is so much more satisfying. I'd absolutely recommend you try it if you haven't.
  • scwesterduin
    Options
    We have a very similar situation.
    I use to love breakfast, I thought I could never-ever start my day without a boll of cereal or an omelet and I use to eat a huge breakfast at 7am go to work already feeling hungry and having a 2nd breakfast around 10. I couldn't stop feeling hungry until lunch time.

I have started IF 16/08 5 days ago, I have 2 black coffees and I feel great. No hunger at all and much more concetrated at work. I really feel I am working much better while fasting.

I fast from 8pm until 1pm. Then I have around 30% of my calorie intake. I work from 8-5pm then hit the gym for weight lift. I use to do loads of cardio, but now I am trying to stick with a TDEE plan to control my meals/macros and then spend less time having to burn it.

I have my big meal after working out. I mean a really big dinner. I am feeling much less hungry during the day as well, but I must say I put on 2kg since I started. I believe is water weight, so I am not that concerned about, but still is not nice to see the scale going up so fast. I know I have been lifiting super heavy since I started with IF/Leangains plan, but it could never be 2kg lean mass or fat in 5 days.

Any experience with calorie deficit but still putting on weight on the begining of 16/08?
  • annenhie
    annenhie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am doing 18:6 for 4 days now. On Monday I did a 36-hr fast just to try and see how my body would react.

I must say drinking lots of water is helping a lot with my water weight. Dropped 3lbs since Monday. And I love the fact that I can have all my 1200 calories in one meal if I wanted too. My eating window is 3pm-9pm mainly because I like working out at lunch time. I don't feel like I am starving at all or low on energy. I think it really is an ideal lifestyle for people who are not into breakfast/dinner.
  • hifi898
    hifi898 Posts: 54
    Options
    BUMP for later reading. Thinking of trying this..
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I think the whole 'no eating after 7pm' is a form a intermittent fasting anyway. I eat breakfast around 8am and dinner by 6pm. I try not to eat anything after. It seems to work well for me. I'm thinking of trying to shorten that window, have breakfast later in the morning, when I'm actually hungry, which is usually around 9 or 10am.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of IF. I don't know that I could get all of my calories eaten in an 8 hour period though! lol..hmmmmm. To OP, I don't think it would harm you with doing P90X though at all. It's not like you would be trying to do a hardcore workout after eating only 500 calories during the day.

I run 10km with having eaten noting all day. I manage to do it with eating 0 calories for the whole day. Hardcore enough?
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 and it works perfectly for me. I had tried 5:2 previously but I found that triggered my bingeing really badly. Since I have been doing 16:8 I haven't binged or had any cravings at all.
    I eat between 11am and 7pm....roughly, sometimes I go longer, it just depends on how I feel.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I do this. Here is a good article. I believe there is no one way to do anything in life. Try things and figure out what works best for you..http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • dianesheart88
    dianesheart88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I've never been a breakfast person (but coffee is a must) so it feels natural for me not to eat until 1-2 pm. It doesn't affect my energy during workouts, which I do at least 4-5 days a week.

I'm not uber strict about no calories because I still need to have my coffee in the morning w/ creamer.

Conclusion: IF helps me stay within my calorie allotment for the day, which in turn helps me stay on track for the long haul.
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I do a (modified) 16:8 IF as I do have HWC & coconut oil in my morning coffee. I'm not doing it on a set schedule, just when I'm not hungry in the a.m. and that generally falls on the weekends.

After my morning coffee I start drinking water. If I'm hungry close to lunch time I have a lowcal snack.

Here's a link to the IF group here on MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 and it works perfectly for me. I had tried 5:2 previously but I found that triggered my bingeing really badly. Since I have been doing 16:8 I haven't binged or had any cravings at all.
    I eat between 11am and 7pm....roughly, sometimes I go longer, it just depends on how I feel.

I'm glad you posted this.
    I found with ADF or JUDDD, that it brought out my binge behaviour as well.
    I was thinking about doing 5:2 but perhaps I'll just jump right to IF and 16:8.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Some info on ADF:
    http://propanefitness.com/how-to-add-hours-to-your-day-eat-as-much-as-you-want-and-get-leaner/

But for me personally I would wanna try 16:8 first, since whole day fasts seem a bit too restrictive for me as I'm a constant nibbler.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF for almost 2 years now. I've never been a morning eater anyways, I always found that eating in the morning got me more hungry throughout the day.
    Always been on 16:8, it works well for me.

I drink black coffee in the morning, and 30g of BCAAs on the days Iift since I lift at 5am and eat nothing before 1pm

Leangains.com is probably the best reference out there for IF, IMO at least

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
    ^^ To calculate calories/macros
  • cinquieme
    cinquieme Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about doing IF, but I've been reading that women should be cautious when it comes to fasting because it can lead to hormone issues and irregular periods.

http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature

Any women who have done it experienced anything off?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about doing IF, but I've been reading that women should be cautious when it comes to fasting because it can lead to hormone issues and irregular periods.

http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature

Any women who have done it experienced anything off?

I do 4:3 and I was a whole week late, no big deal though.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm about 2 weeks into IF. With the caveat that I'm in maintenance, maybe slightly trying to lean out a little more, so I dont do the super restricted calorie days. The only times I am hungry at all is if I dont enough the day before. And even then its really not a big deal. From my reading, IF can be used whether you are losing, gaining or maintaining weight.
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump