what is the most healthy sausage? low carb and low fat .....any suggestions

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    More fat the better.:happy:
  • SamDanielleB
    Options
    I've switched to turkey sausage. Definitely better for you than pork.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Fresh pork sausages are currently rated as the most healthy.

Watch out for Turkey sausages, they can contain other things, like cheese or pieced of gloves.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/money/consumer/recalls/turkey-sausage-being-recalled-because-it-may-be-contaminated-with-pieces-of-gloves
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any such thing as a low fat sausage...if there is, I would just steer clear...just completely un-natural for sausage to be low fat. I don't think most sausages have carbs really.

I'm personally a big fat of linguica, bratwurst, and chorizo depending on what the meal is. A favorite of mine is baked white fish with some grilled linguica (about 2 oz per serving) and white beans and tomatoes. Delicious.

Also, I always do fresh pork sausages...no pre-cooked/smoked stuff for me...they put too much damned sodium in those for my taste, plus they're just not as good as a fresh sausage cooked to order. We have a really awesome sausage store near my house that some German guy runs...he makes some friggin' awesome sausage.
  • nasoj007
    nasoj007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find an edible turkey or chicken sausage where I live, best option I've found is the Presidents Choice Blue Menu Smokies (the chedder one is my favorite). Other than that I just go with the classic versions and adjust my day accordingly :P
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I just buy ground meat (usually ground chicken, but I've made it with ground pork too, and I don't like it too lean) and season it myself, usually with salt, pepper, sage, and paprika :smile:
  • jgollnick
    jgollnick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know what types of sausage are you inquiring about. I love sausages but try to keep them in moderation due to high calorie content. If you have an aldi's grocery store in your area they have a turkey kielbasa that is a much healthier option than it's counter part. Basically go for sausages that are substituted with chicken or turkey. One of the key ingredients in things like italian sausage or bratwursts is chunks of pork fat.

But oh does it make such a delicious ingredient.
  • jgollnick
    jgollnick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    there is a brand of chorizo that makes a soy version that is very good.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Well, this is disappointing. I came to contribute my pics...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I buy turkey or chicken sausage. Typically they have 6-8g of fat per link, instead of 14+.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has some yummy chicken jalapeno sausage. My favorite pork sausage comes from the local farmer's market (pastured, no junk).