Should I start strength training?

Options
saeede83
saeede83 Posts: 96 Member
I'm 5'4 and 232 lbls. I started logging my calories a month ago and since then I was walking and jogging almost every day. I have lost around 7-8 lbls in the past month with moderate eating (1500-1900 calories).
Last week I started C25K training. I get to do cardio 3 times a week but don't know what I should do the other days. Should I continue walking on other days?
Do you suggest I start strength training?
Is it a good idea with my current weight and all the lbs I have to lose?
I appreciate your feedback.

Replies

• averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As of today, I am 5'3" and 234lbs. Because of my strength training, I get to eat more now and also presumably when I reach my goal than I would get to otherwise. After the initial gain/stall/whatever on the scale for a few weeks when I started, my weight has since resumed going steadily down. My measurements have declined at a more drastic rate than when I was just eating at a deficit and walking, but not lifting. Most notably in my calves, thighs, hips, belly, waist and neck. I've always been an hourglass, so can't say it would be the same areas for everyone, but I know dropping 30lbs, no one noticed. I couldn't even tell. A month of lifting and only 5lbs down and it's really apparent my body has changed.

I always thought you had to lose, then tone. I've seen enough people posting, so then started reading that it wasn't necessary to do it that way. IMHO it's about the closest thing to a shortcut anyone can do.

I can't stress enough, NOTHING on me is getting bigger. Absolutely everything is going down. I wish I had started decades ago.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Yes!