Using up FAT allowance

tatorbug
tatorbug Posts: 26 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I seem to struggle with getting enough fats for the day. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It's hard to use the fats without going to high on calories. I love yogurt, but I refuse to eat any with the artificial sweetners. I am usually over on proteins, so nuts are not even an option.

Replies

• hannahlang85
    hannahlang85 Posts: 18 Member
    Avocados are a great source of good fats! I eat half an avocado a day... thats 11 grams of fat right there! Also sprinkle some extra virgin olive oil on your salads. And my all time favorite is extra virgin (raw) coconut oil to either cook with or as I do... use a tablespoon in a fruit smoothie!!!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Maybe you should make different protein choices, so that they contain more healthy fat. Salmon and oily fish are good. Nuts, as you mention, are good. I second hannahlang85's post.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Depending on your exercise routine- MFP generally sets the Protien a scoche low. I'd worry less about going over protien and just make sure the fats that you're taking in are good fats. Like salmon, avacado, olive oil, nuts (almond butter nice and fatty and nutitious and delicious) and even red meat (I know a lot of people are against it but I read a study that women who eat red meat once a week lost more weight that women who ate soley white meat- I've been doing it and it seems to work or it's all the running I do :wink: ). Keep in mind you are going to increase your calories as you increase fat so you'll need to make adjustments if you're usually close to you calorie goal. BUT I've learned that good fats with your protien help you stay full longer so you don't have the desire to snack.

Hope these suggestions help.
    :drinker:
  • Almonds are good for you, and have healthy fats. Just don't eat too many because the calories can add up
  • tatorbug
    I don't much care for Avocado, but I do like fish and nuts, so maybe I will give that a try......thanks!
  • tatorbug
    Depending on your exercise routine- MFP generally sets the Protien a scoche low. I'd worry less about going over protien and just make sure the fats that you're taking in are good fats. Like salmon, avacado, olive oil, nuts (almond butter nice and fatty and nutitious and delicious) and even red meat (I know a lot of people are against it but I read a study that women who eat red meat once a week lost more weight that women who ate soley white meat- I've been doing it and it seems to work or it's all the running I do :wink: ). Keep in mind you are going to increase your calories as you increase fat so you'll need to make adjustments if you're usually close to you calorie goal. BUT I've learned that good fats with your protien help you stay full longer so you don't have the desire to snack.

Hope these suggestions help.
    :drinker:
  • tatorbug
    Thanks for the great suggestions, MSbanana. It appears that you have been very successful in your weight loss so I will give your suggestions a try.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    You might consider changing you % around. MFP setting for Protein is low and carbs seem to be high. I have mine set at 35% carb, 40% Protein and 25% fat.. If you wish to do so you go under My home tab and goals choose customize and enter it. But everyone is different, see what works for you.
  • tatorbug
    From looking at your weight loss success, it appears that you know what you are doing....I will give it a try, thanks!
    Congratulations on the weight loss!
This discussion has been closed.