Help me eat low carb lunches

Options
megstoo
megstoo Posts: 47 Member
I'm really at a loss on lunch. I am trying to eat LOW CARB in helps of losing weight. I've got the working out down but I'm trying to get my food under control.

My lunch today was salad with baked (breaded) chicken and salad dressing on the side, yoplait whips yogurt and fruit. The chicken was left over from yesterday (made breaded chicken so not fried).

I'm tired of eatting salads though and knowing me if I keep eating salads I'm going to get so sick of it I'll throw my entire trying to eat healthy out the window. I make lunch at home and eat it in my office. I used to do sandwiches but it was on italian bread so high in carbs.

What do you suggest I bring? For lunch I'm not a big veggie person. This eating healthy is the most difficult part for me.

Replies

• Bethie_J
    Bethie_J Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of wraps. Put whatever sandwich fixings you like in a lettuce leaf (bibb lettuce works well), wrap em up, and go. Tuna salad with avocado on celery is good too.
  • SUPERhecticMOM
    SUPERhecticMOM Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do boiled eggs and fruit when I'm on the go. Or veggies with a small amount of dip.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm really at a loss on lunch. I am trying to eat LOW CARB in helps of losing weight. I've got the working out down but I'm trying to get my food under control.

Unless you have a medical reason to do so, low carb diets aren't significantly different in terms of fat loss from other diets holding cals and protein constant
  • bullwinkle2045
    bullwinkle2045 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been having some decent success with whole wheat wraps. You can put a bunch of stuff in them, chicken, turkey, and load up the rest with veggies. Very easy to carry around and very convenient. Some check in at the 12 carb range per serving, though they have low carb ones as well. Some are in the 6 carb range. They're a nice way to eat something and feel like you ate more than a salad. Good luck!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

My lunch today was salad with baked (breaded) chicken and salad dressing on the side, yoplait whips yogurt and fruit. The chicken was left over from yesterday (made breaded chicken so not fried).

I'm tired of eatting salads though and knowing me if I keep eating salads I'm going to get so sick of it I'll throw my entire trying to eat healthy out the window. I make lunch at home and eat it in my office. I used to do sandwiches but it was on italian bread so high in carbs.

What do you suggest I bring? For lunch I'm not a big veggie person. This eating healthy is the most difficult part for me.

#1 - Are you diabetic or have another metabolic disorder regarding carbs? Just curious.
    #2 - If you choose to do this have some grilled meat (steak, fish, chicken, etc). Have some veggies (broccoli, green beans, etc) Have some cottage cheese or greek yogurt
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Easiest way to eat low carb is to eat High Proten.....

Go with Grilled Chicken, skip the breading. Change yogurt to a Greek Yogurt or Cottage Cheese.

Salad can be dangerous so be careful.

Snacks, go with protein, protein shake, bar, cottage cheese, string cheese, raw plain almonds......

Inbetween lots of water!!!!

Best of Luck!!
  • kaytaydeb
    kaytaydeb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been doing cucumber subs that I saw on pinterest. You cut a cucumber in half long ways and scoop out the seeds. Then put whatever you want on it, I like laughing cow swiss cheese, salsa, and tuna. Side note: it's easier to eat each side separately then as an actual sub.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It's not easy... Why breaded chicken if you want low carb?... Just wondering... Anyway, try wraps... There are a lot of different types and some are low carb. Look for gluten free breads and wraps. How about soups? We sometimes make a huge pot of soup over the weekend and it's great for several lunches.
  • megstoo
    Options

Unless you have a medical reason to do so, low carb diets aren't significantly different in terms of fat loss from other diets holding cals and protein constant

There is also a medical reason which is part of it so my doctor wants me on low carb and has said it numberous times.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you want to go low carb?
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    Check out Skinnytaste.come I make lots of recipes from there. i have the Chicken Enchilada soup a lot. I have salads on the side, or green beans. I make lots of stuff with chiken so this week I made chicken enchilada casarole (basically everything you would put into enchiladas but the tortillas). Sometimes I will buy a pork tenderloin or some lamb tips and have the leftovers for lunch, or some kind of shrimp. There is lots of things you can do you just need to look for it. ON Facebook there is a page called Just Eat Real Foods and they post recipe's all the time I trie some of those recipes.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I bought a bento box and plan to take the small containers filled with fruit and vegetables. i am also going to take a salad container with some chicken. I will add boiled egg also. You can be creative with the bento boxes. You could also use a lo carb soup or a stirfr;y at room temperature. I had a chopped salad the other day at subway and that was good. I small change.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

There is also a medical reason which is part of it so my doctor wants me on low carb and has said it numberous times.

What is this medical condition? Can you give us some more information. What is your doctor's nutrition background?
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Tuna, grilled chicken, roasted turkey, ham, eggs... any of these wrapped in a Romaine lettuce leaf with a bit of mayo or salad dressing (just enough for flavor).

2 % cottage cheese is awesome and satisfying,
  • archer1972
    archer1972 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i've been having soup, i made a big pot and froze it in individual servings and i just pull one out of the frezzer in the morning for my lunch. if i forget or don't feel like soup, i make a wrap, i fill it with salad and lean meat. i would skip the breading on your chicken too
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost doing low carb? I eat sandwiches or have soup, rarely eat salads. My low carb co-workers are at a loss as to why I have lost more weight than them eating carbs. But if you want to ditch the bread off the chicken you could just grill it. I have stir-fry without oil with meat or fish and just add a little water for moisture and add lots of veggies. Leftovers make good lunches.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Sorry, you answered the question before I sent my post.

Low carb tortilla with hummus or turkey and lots of veggies
    Steam or roast some veggies at home and heat them up in the microwave at work with a piece of chicken breast or fish
    Yogurt
    Boiled eggs
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Leftovers are my preference for lunches. You could also make soups - they travel easily when frozen and you can just reheat in the microwave.
    Rather than salads could make a platter? Bits of meals you like, some veges with hummus to dip, some grapes ect
  • megstoo
    Options

What is this medical condition? Can you give us some more information. What is your doctor's nutrition background?

basically in a nutshell I'm insulin resistance and because of a medical condition struggle to lose weight (ob/gyn related). My doctor referred me to a nutritionist however my insurance doesn't cover it. Both doctor and my fitness trainer said low carb is along with my exercise program should get me seeing results.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    green beans