In need of support

Options
femwesker_zpsc5e7a9cb.jpg

That is a picture of me from this weekend...I do have a wig on but after seeing this picture I got completely depressed. I had been trying to eat healthier and exercise as much as my right leg will allow, I have a bad leg from a car accident a few years ago. I am on a goal to lose 113 if not more pounds. Please I could use all the support I can get.

I do have a very supportive husband and friends but sometimes they don't help when they put the junk food in front of me.

Replies

• runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey. It's up to you. You can eat the junk and stay as you are, factor in a small amount of it and change, or just omit it fully if that's easier.

It can be done, have a look at the success stories! Find someone who lost a similar amount of weight that you want to lose and use them as motivation.
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Starting is easy - and sticking to it is easy when you start to see results! :) coming here was the right thing to do!

What I find really works for me is looking at before/after pics people post on this forum, there are lots of those collective threads with loads of pics - it's amazing how much boost it can give you!

Don't take the junk food - only as occasional treat :)
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Does your town or gym has a swimming pool? Or if there is a large hotel with a pool, they usually offer membership plans to local residents. That would be a good type of exercise. Start cutting calories, and weigh your food. Even if it is junk food, quantity is what matters.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Drink water before meals. Cut all soda, including diet soda. Drink sparkling water if you need. Drink a lot of water. Eat veggies first and then the rest of the food. Eat fruits. Log your food and start making connections what triggers increase in food intake, or inability to resist eating large quantities.
  • hartland45
    hartland45 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've just had disaster of a week dietwise as we had Australians to stay and too many social catch-ups, all of which involved food. Trying to get back on track by recording everything and getting motivated by reading the success stories here. I cannot exercise much as I have MS, so results are depressingly slow, but I feel it can and must be done. Best of luck!
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery and due to not wanting to feel like I am 70 years old I decided it was time to do something about it. It can be done....good luck, I will send you a friend request.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I do have a very supportive husband and friends but sometimes they don't help when they put the junk food in front of me.
    Read this again.

There is a difference between passive support and active support. Passive supporters say things like 'good job' after the fact. They may even try to motivate you when you feel down.

People who actively support you help create an environment in which you can succeed. Please talk to your loved ones about what you need from them.

Getting healthy in today's world is tough enough. You don't need to be fighting two battles.

Best of luck on your journey, and congratulations on finding the strength to reach out for help!
  • Hww73455
    Hww73455 Posts: 1
    Options
    why not get your husband and your other support members join as your fitness pals? you will see their fitness activities and they will see yours. Get a friendly competition in your Friends group.
  • kitten9786
    kitten9786 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support! I am going to be talking to my husband when he gets home.I know he said he wanted to lose weight so perhaps he could help me. I will be going through the success stories to help boost my motivation.

My apartment complex has a pool that will be opening in like a week and a couple of my friends got back to me this morning and are wanting to join the gym with me, so here's hoping that my weight loss journey will be smooth but if not I know I can come to you for help!

Only been on the site for a day and feel the love and the sense of community from you all. I will be telling everyone to join this because this is helping!
  • bkperkin
    bkperkin Posts: 5
    Options
    I just joined five days ago and have about the same amount to lose. My husband is the same way. He has a high metabolism, and though he is supportive in saying "good job" he doesn't really get it. I've been in my town for about 4 yrs and still haven't made any really close friends (partly because I have no energy to do anything since I'm overweight.

Over the last 10 yrs I have gained over 125 lbs. and it seems like an impossible task to take it off. I am impatient and every single day I want to revert to my old ways, have several glasses of wine and a bunch of cheese, and sit on the couch because it seems impossible.

I think being on this forum will help because seeing all the success stories gives me hope. Talk to your husband and friends and tell them SPECIFICALLY what you want them to do and not do. My hubby now knows not to offer me anything to eat after dinner and he refills my water bottle for me without asking. See if your friends want to exercise with you, or just go do some activities to keep you from thinking about food.

If these other people can do it we can do it :)
  • kitten9786
    Options
    You're right. If we want it to happen we have to make it happen. The support here is great but its when we are at home that it will be hard!

I just texted my husband and he is going to get me a gym membership this friday and help me work out
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My best advice? Remember you are changing FOREVER so don't try to do everything in one day or expect results in 5 minutes.

What you eat will be more important than working out at first, BY FAR. It may take a few tries to get it right and the first few weeks you will probably feel very anxious about everything.

Be patient with yourself.
  • kitten9786
    Options
    Thank ou for the advice. I plan on buying lots of veggies and fruit to help with my snacking. I'm a house-wife because of my leg I can't work. So I find myself snacking on whatever happens to be around. So I'm hoping if I find veggies in my fridge I will eat it over having a piece of candy.

I have the goal of getting the 113 pounds off by next summer, but by Christmas I would like to have 50 pounds off.
  • krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Good luck with everything! I know how hard it is to stick with something especially when the people in your life are not following the same eating plan as you. Here are some things that I find helpful:
    1- When I am invited to a party I always offer to bring food. That way I know there is at least one thing I can eat :-)
    2- I love the Cooking Light recipes - I find that they are great recipes that are not 'diety' they are just healthier. So when I cook from there everyone enjoys it
    3- I find it helpful to talk about my new healthier lifestyle. I find when you do that people are less likely to try and throw food at you and are more considerate - sometimes people will even point out some of the healthier options that they have available and do not get offended if you choose not to eat something.
    4- I get in an extra good workout on days that I know I am going out - that buys me a couple more calories to use

Feel free to friend me!
    Kristin
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If I can do it so can you.

I won't post my before pics (too embarrassed) But believe me KEEP UP the good work!

Nutritional changes are most important. Exercise as much as you can. Any exercise is better than no exercise.

be honest in your food journal, watch for patterns, and learn from them (did you gain/lose this week).

YOU CAN DO IT

I know you can..... I had a bad foot and just as much to lose!!!

I believe in you
  • kitten9786
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I can feel so much love and support from this group!! I am so glad I joined!

I will post monthly pictures though, I found doing my normal housework is considered a workout by my doctor and he suggested if I am determined to go to my local gym 2 to 3 times a week and either walk on their treadmill or ride the bike but for no more than 30 mins a day because I wouldn't be able to tell if I tear or pull something.

I have no feeling in my right leg because almost all of the nerves are dead and they are dying in the other limbs. That won't keep me down though, I want this weight off. I don't like to eat out and find I would rather have a grilled chicken salad with little to no dressing than getting fast food. So I think I am on a good starting point.
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It certainly sounds like you are, this is a great start! :o) you are already sounding a lot more positive in comparison to your very first post in this topic. You can do it! :o) looks like you have all the tools, and your husband wants to help too.

Giving up snacking is not hard - just don't keep it at home, and replace with other, better stuff! :o)
  • kitten9786
    Options
    Snacking will be the hardest for me, but I am trying to switch it up with stuff that is low to no calorie and perhaps my hobbies will help. I just started Cross stitching, painting model figs for my husband and brother (They play Warhammer 40k.) and my favorite hobby though is coloring in coloring books. Hoping to use that to help curb my snacking habits.

Having the help is doing wonders for my positive. I can't thank you all enough for the support and confidence that I can do this.