Any artists, painters, doodlers out there?

Options
onwarddownward
onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
I'm not comfortable calling myself an artist, but I love to oil paint. I've been painting since 2007. I have also done watercolor, acrylic and enamel (on glass and ceramic) but oil on canvas is my first love.

I started out by watching Bob Ross on PBS and then just believing I could do it.

Anyone else out there paint? Post your favorites!

Here's mine:

image-16.jpg
Sunbeams and waterfall.

image-17.jpg
Whisper, a horse rescued by The Gentle Barn.

image-18.jpg
Different eyes from characters in the series LOST. Just a study of eyes. This one weirds people out.

image-19.jpg[Sisters.image-20.jpg

Someday I'd like to teach painting. I've been teaching my kids.

Jan

Replies

• crenner07
    crenner07 Posts: 36
    Options
    I wish. My kindergarten art teach gave me a set of watercolors and a print of van Gogh's Starry Night and told me to copy it. Needless to say it didn't work. So I gave up on art. Yours are lovely though (admittedly the eye one is a little creepy).
  • onwarddownward
    Options
    I agree, it is creepy. I intended it to look as though the eyes were looking out through stretched skin. I don't hang it up, it bothers the cat, LOL!
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    I'm an artist. I've loved art and been drawing and painting since I was a kid. I love oil paints and is the current medium I use, although I'm now also exploring digital media as well.

Here are some of my works. You can see some of them on my profile.

self portrait
    selfportrait_zpsc71f88ab.jpg

monkeying around
    monkeyingaround_zps83303e41.jpg

Lion's Head, Cape Town, South Africa
    lionsheadcapetown_zps3898655d.jpg

Golden Gate Bridge
    GoldenGateBridge_zpsaab3b9c2.jpg

Cape farm house
    capefarmhouse_zpsd4089760.jpg

Beach scene
    beachscene_zps8a42c97f.jpg

Uluru, Australia
    UluruAustralia_zps5354d959.jpg

I love the colour and delicate brush strokes of your paintings. You're quite a fast learner. I have to agree though, the eyes are a little creepy!
  • onwarddownward
    Options
    I love your perspective and your shadows! Is your house overflowing with canvases? I give a lot of mine away to charities or auctions, like for raising funds for cancer patients.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do sketches, mostly fashion related

photo.jpg
    Lauren Bacall

wpid-image_5.png
    Roger Vivier shoe
  • sarahtonin015
    sarahtonin015 Posts: 193
    Options
    This is the only one I currently have saved on my computer. This was my final project for my grade 12 art class (4 years ago), done with pencil and pencil crayon. It's called, "Tribute to Heath Ledger". :)

6yfeib.jpg
  • Juggernaut_D
    Juggernaut_D Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm an artist, but I mostly work digitally. Here are some pics;

paw_prints___chptr_01_by_wyndego-d4jznhc_zps39e9b04d.jpg

lownie_by_wyndego-d3bvcs2_zps8ee164d6.jpg

th_closing_time_by_wyndego-d3b0av9_zps583c8ff0.jpg

DayDreamin-Lauren6_zps48a0ef51.jpg

Uggh! I give up trying to post images! They keep coming out cropped. I guess I have to re-size them.
  • Diana8923
    Diana8923 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm an artist. I've loved art and been drawing and painting since I was a kid. I love oil paints and is the current medium I use, although I'm now also exploring digital media as well.

Here are some of my works. You can see some of them on my profile.

self portrait
    selfportrait_zpsc71f88ab.jpg

monkeying around
    monkeyingaround_zps83303e41.jpg

Lion's Head, Cape Town, South Africa
    lionsheadcapetown_zps3898655d.jpg

Golden Gate Bridge
    GoldenGateBridge_zpsaab3b9c2.jpg

Cape farm house
    capefarmhouse_zpsd4089760.jpg

Beach scene
    beachscene_zps8a42c97f.jpg

Uluru, Australia
    UluruAustralia_zps5354d959.jpg

I love the colour and delicate brush strokes of your paintings. You're quite a fast learner. I have to agree though, the eyes are a little creepy!

your work is beautiful! :)
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I use to draw a lot here is some stuff.
    2006_Tough_Love2-vi.jpg
    2007Eva_Mendez-vi.jpg
    2003_03photo-vi.jpg
    2005_MoJo-vi.jpg
    2004_Battlemage-vi.jpg
  • Diana8923
    Diana8923 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I like to draw, but don't know how to add photos here.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I am an artist of a verbal nature...
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    @onwarddownward I always wanted to paint. I did a little in high school and was told to pursue it but felt my technique if paint was sub par to my drawing and Photoshop abilities so I gave up. I do hope to one day be able to paint like you do. My favorite is the horse :)

@juggernaught I could tell the girl was done with a computer before I even read the post. It is lovely work though, I enjoy how clean a PC makes things look. Her tats look amazerful. Do you also do children's stuff?

@sarahtonin yeah... that is just awesome. You only have the one?

@runner2runner a friend and fellow artist! I had no idea your work has a lot if expression. What are you working with some of it looks like oil? And others acrylic?

@LaBeachChick Very neat stuff. Lots of color, it has flare. Have you ever seen "PS I love you" the main character in that did something similar to your work. Well done.
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    I am an artist of a verbal nature...
    We all have our strong points.
  • runner2runner
    Options
    @onwarddownward I always wanted to paint. I did a little in high school and was told to pursue it but felt my technique if paint was sub par to my drawing and Photoshop abilities so I gave up. I do hope to one day be able to paint like you do. My favorite is the horse :)

@juggernaught I could tell the girl was done with a computer before I even read the post. It is lovely work though, I enjoy how clean a PC makes things look. Her tats look amazerful. Do you also do children's stuff?

@runner2runner a friend and fellow artist! I had no idea your work has a lot if expression. What are you working with some of it looks like oil? And others acrylic?

@LaBeachChick Very neat stuff. Lots of color, it has flare. Have you ever seen "PS I love you" the main character in that did something similar to your work. Well done.

Thanks! I try to make my paintings as expressive as possible so they don't look bland and boring. Fortunately I've mastered the technique of applying bright colours with broad strokes to make the subject really pop out at you.They're all oil on canvas, with the only exception being the chimpanzees, which is oil on masonite board. I've never used acrylic, strangely enough. I occasionally work with watercolour and pastels.
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    Oil is best IMO anyway. Acrylic dries very fast which is nice but makes "touching up" a quick work. My grandmother does oil and runs an art gallery in CT. I didn't get that talent :( perhaps some day. Your work is def unique.
  • runner2runner
    Options
    I like to draw, but don't know how to add photos here.

Open an account with photobucket and then upload your photos on to the site. Once they're uploaded, individually selected the photo you want to add here, on the right hand navigation panel, click on IMG slot and go back to the MFP forum you want to add pictures to and right click on your mouse and paste. You might also need to re-size your photos to a smaller size because they might end up too big and appear proper;y on the forum. I actually wanted to make mine much smaller but at least you can see all them.

And finally change the IMGs in brackets on either side of the link to small case.
  • sarahtonin015
    Options

Only the one on my computer. Most of my old sketches are in a big pile in my dad's basement, but he lives about 4 provinces away from me lol I made two large paintings for my mom (one of my niece and nephew as babies, the other of one of my favourite portraits of her when she was my age); a painting of my old dog for my grandparents, and a couple random paintings hanging up at my dads, but again, they all live in Ontario and I'm in B.C. I haven't actually done any artwork in several years, hence why I don't have anything more up-to-date in my own house.
  • sarahtonin015
    Options
    Although I also did photography as a teenager and I have a few of those photos on my computer, if those count? lol
  • catrinadaniels
    Options
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Graphic Artist and Photographer here.

65d0mx.jpg

1jasmx.jpg

2zqx05l.jpg

dnk2g7.jpg

1qiqea.jpg

2zrls2g.jpg