Anyone had this before? Neck strain leading to headaches

Options
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this topic, was torn where to put it so apologies if I am wrong.

Basically, during a class the week before last I was doing thrusters and my form went a bit squiffy as I may have had slightly more weight than I should have. I felt my neck twinge and I had a minor headache and felt a bit sick. I carried on with the class, just trying to be extra carfeul. We ended the class doing bodyweight squats with pauses for 10 sec mid move (at point of legs being paralellel to the floor), as we got further through that part I started getting a headache that got worse, but once we had finished and I could relax it went away.

Basically whenever my heart rate goes up a bit I start to feel like I'm getting a headache and at points I've had a massive migraine like headache after doing somewhat heavy lifting which required me to sleep to stop it. Cycling, running and weight lifting all have made me feel tension at the back of my neck. I have tried to keep lifting light but its getting frustrating.

Has anyone had anything similar?

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it could be a trapped nerve in your neck, it could just be from tension, it could be quite a number of different things, although some of the symptoms seem more like a migraine

IMO you should see a doctor
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I know when my neck is out of whack, I get horrible migraines and headaches. I personally see a chiropractor for them and it helps me personally. I know it isn't for everyone though.

Good luck and would definately seek a medical opinion
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Agree, see a Doc. Does sound like you've got a trapped nerve, pinched nerve or a knot. All pretty easy (unfortunately) to do. It may just come right on it's own, it may need a relaxant or a bit of physio, but better get it checked out to know what the right thing to do about it is.

Yes ... bad necks can definitely cause horrid headaches.

I have some compressed nerves in my neck which give me whacking headaches and bad shoulder pain. I have neck exercises to free them up.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue with pull ups after I strained a neck muscle. It was the only exercise affected and it eventually cleared up but it was very painful at the time.
  • Rowlsty
    Rowlsty Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for the response everyone! I'm going to book an appointment with the doctor. I was hoping it would go away on its own but I think I agree its best to get a professional opinion as I really want to get back to exercising properly asap