Tired of being a BIG man

Options
Mornin' Y'all

I am starting this out highly recommended from a friend as a good place to come and meet some awesome people to help along the long journey, so thought I would give this place a try since nothing else really works on my own.

I love, love, love hockey, so if there are any hockey fans out there, would love to add/be added to we can talk pucks. Also am a big fan of country music, and am a writer working on a novel, so that is always a little fun.

I am 6'1 and currently have me goal set to 220 lbs, though maybe someone with a little more wisdom may have a better goal for my particular weight? I would love the insight from anyone. I also *hides in shame* have absolutely no clue how to eat well, so bare with me for a little while on a "dirty" food log thing while I figure this one out. I welcome any and all peeps to add me. The more, the merrier.

Replies

• dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Welcome - just sent you a friend request.
    As long as you're not a Blackhawk's fan we can get along just fine. lol.
    :-)
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Good luck! :smile:
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Don't know much about hockey. And I have all my teeth to prove it. But I do like getting into other shapes than round. :)
  • candicane32081
    candicane32081 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am gonna send you a friend request. Also some people keep their food diaries open for others to view, (I do) so you could check them out and get ideas maybe.
  • clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am fairly new as well but this isn't my first time at the weight loss rodeo.

Finding where you should be can be difficult when you are very big. I was 6'4 and 400 pounds 3 1/2 years ago and got down to 250 pounds. At that point, I am not sure how much more weight I could lose. Then I gained most of it back thanks to life events. So for someone who is 6'1, 220 pounds is probably a good place to shoot for, but you may want to re-evaluate as you lose weight.

You can probably also go off of BMI.

Your weight (pounds) times 703, divided by the square of your height in inches.
    e.g. Weight 220 pounds. Height 6'1 (73 inches)
    73x73 = 5329
    220 x 703 divided by 5329 = BMI 29.02

Health authorities usually say that a BMI between 18.5 and 25 is ideal. This is all - of course - depending on muscle mass, bone density, etc.

Eating well can be difficult, and some people don't do a good job "quitting cold turkey" so just make sure you make adjustments at your own pace until you can eat healthy without thinking about it. Don't just start on day one because you may get frustrated and give up.

Good luck to you!
  • shellane01
    shellane01 Posts: 13
    Options
    Just sent a friend request.:flowerforyou:
    I have been on MFP faithfully since Feburary and I found that it is helping my sucess in many ways. Not only will you get the support from your on line friends but there is lots of good information in the posts. There are some that you will find to be a waste of time but more often than not there is good information. I also find it helpful to faithfully log in what you are eating. Not only to keep track of what you are eating but it can help you make a decision on what to eat. :happy:
    You can do this and there is a lot of people you have never met who is waiting to help you along.
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Totally sending you a friend request! We are all learning here, and we love to help others with what we know. I like to watch hockey if I come across it but don't ask me how to play or who the teams are, because I'll just give you a deer in a headlights stare :) Definitely the best way to get ideas on how to eat cleaner is to keep your diary open. That way your friends can give you ideas on other things to eat that might take the place of the bad stuff. Any questions you have, feel free to ask anyone. MFP is awesome!!
  • cagefan
    cagefan Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    add me !! the more support the better - we are all in this journey together !
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I'm a hockey fan, and even know all the words to Oh Canada! I'm also a writer.

Warning: my profile is a bit acerbic, but you won't see it until after you add me.

Welcome!
  • winchestervol63
    winchestervol63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    220 strikes me as a good goal for you. Of course I HAVE to think that, since I'm 6'0" and it's my goal, too! I was around 290 last fall and was losing slowly til joining here at 278 right about 2 months ago. I'm in the 240's now and hope to see 220 by my birthday in August. Will decide then whether 220 is really a good goal.

People are built very differently from each other - don't worry about BMI at this point. From the profile pic, you look to be pretty widely built and more likely to carry weight well. Just head toward 220 and see what it's like when you get there. If I can maintain my muscle mass for the most part (and I'm lifting heavy/trying to concentrate on getting lots of protein to achieve that), I'll likely arrive at 220 in the 15% BF range, yet I'd still be 'obese' by BMI at 221. That little contradiction is worth keeping in mind - BMI is ok for populations, but not necessarily ok for individuals. If I do indeed wind up at 220 with 15% BF, that could be a good stopping point for me - we'll see. Anyway, I'm just using myself as an example for you to consider - hope that's helpful.

Go by BF% moreso than BMI or any other simplified measure, in my opinion. Of course, it's hard to measure it precisely, and that presents a difficulty.
  • Ithacus_Rheinweld
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for making me feel welcome. Looking forward to being on this journey with all of you, and for anyone else who finds this thread later. KCCO y'all!!!!