Heartburn!

Options
I get really bad heartburn and I'm only 24! I know it is probably because of my diet and lifestyle. I haven't been counting calories or exercising for the past few weeks. I just get so tired from work. When I watch what I eat, my heartburn symptoms subside. I plan on doing this, but I was just wondering if anyone has done any testing for heartburn.

I talked with my doctor about a month ago and she suggested that I do a barium swallowing just to check things out. I'm a little scared to do this. Has anyone else done this? Should I do it if I'm mostly sure that my heartburn is caused by not eating right?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    Were you making sure to get in plenty of water when you were eating right and watching your calories? I don't know if it would make a difference, but I know I rarely get heart burn these days, and I always make sure to drink A LOT of water.
  • zoey116
    zoey116 Posts: 75
    Options
    What medications are you on? my PCP once told me that birth control can cause heart burt b/c it can weaken the cardiac sphincter (muscle around the esophagus at the level of your diaphragm). when I went off birth control I had no more issue with heart burn.

A barium swallow isn't too bad anymore. The worst part used to be the taste of that barium but they have improved it over the years but having the barium as cold as possible will help make it more palatable. The Radiologist & Tech will have you change into a hospital gown norrmally and then they may take a "scout" picture just to check placement of the x-ray. then they will have you drink the barium while laying in different (sometimes seemingly odd, but they all have there reasons)positions, and they will take your pics while you are drinking. It wont hurt other than that the table may be hard & cold. The only other thing I can think of that might be unpleasant (depending how you feel about people touching you) will be that the tech will have to palpate(feel) you to determin the appropriate anatomy to image. It's a VERY common X-ray exam. Must have done 20 of them in x-ray school during that (short) rotation.

Also there is a bacteria that can sometimes be found in people's stomach called Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) that can cause heartburn. I believe they can do a blood test for H. pylori.

Also don't let it go on too long as it can lead to other more serious issues.

Hope that helped.
  • BrahminsDad
    Options

I talked with my doctor about a month ago and she suggested that I do a barium swallowing just to check things out. I'm a little scared to do this. Has anyone else done this? Should I do it if I'm mostly sure that my heartburn is caused by not eating right?

My wife did this Barium test. She describes it as "the most disgusting thing" she's ever had to do. The drink is this nasty thick stuff and it comes out stinky a day later. I would try to control it if you know how. I have had issues with heartburn when I over-indulge.
  • zoey116
    zoey116 Posts: 75
    Options

My wife did this Barium test. She describes it as "the most disgusting thing" she's ever had to do. The drink is this nasty thick stuff and it comes out stinky a day later. I would try to control it if you know how. I have had issues with heartburn when I over-indulge.

I forgot all about the stinky part...LOL... my husband made fun of me alot for that little embarrasing issue...
  • spike1380
    spike1380 Posts: 82
    Options
    I did the barium swallow when I was 21, after having severe uncontrollable heartburn all my life. I actually started babysitting when I was 11 so I could buy my own antacids because my mother didn't believe that Tums weren't taking care of it for me. I didn't think it tasted that bad but the texture was a little nasty. I was told it would constipate me. It actually gave me explosive diarrhea so I didn't go to work after the test. The test itself was completely painless.

Thanks to that test, I was diagnosed with severe GERD and a hiatal hernia. I was put on 40 mg of Protonix per day. I stayed on that for 5 years. It was the only thing that controlled the heartburn.

When I was in my mid 20s, I had to have an esophageal scope to check for damage to my esophagus. I was told that in addition to scar tissue which can get bad enough to close the esophagus (happened to my uncle), severe chronic reflux can greatly increase the risk of esophageal cancer. Since I was also a smoker, it was really important to get it done. I was very lucky. Despite all the years of suffering, I had minimal scar tissue. The scope wasn't bad. I was put out for it so I never felt the scope going in or out. I did have a sore throat for a few days after though.

I have been off the Protonix for about 3 years now. I still get heartburn but it is nowhere as bad as it used to be. I now take 150 mg of OTC Zantac per day and various kinds of chewable or disolvable antacids throughout the day (and this is at the improved level lol).

In addition to the barium swallow and the esophageal scope, I have also had 3 abdominal ultrasounds to check for ulcers, gall stones, and other things that could have caused the reflux. The abdominal ultrasound is completely painless but the gel is cold and leaves you feeling sticky.

I also had a test for H. pylori, which involves the doctor sticking a finger where it doesn't belong but even that was relatively painless.

The symptoms I had that finally convinced a doctor that I needed testing were:

I got heartburn regardless of what I ate. Water, plain bread, rice, etc. It didn't matter how bland it was, it still gave me heartburn. I also got it in my sleep. I had to sleep with 4 thick pillows to keep the heartburn at bay during the night. I would wake up gasping for breath because the pain was so bad I couldn't breathe. I also got it from exercising. Oddly enough, I didn't get it from eating tomatoes - which are supposed to be really bad culprits for heartburn. High acid/spice foods didn't give it to me any more frequently than regular foods.

Have the test because your doctor thinks it's necessary. Consider yourself very lucky to have a doctor who takes you seriously. Too many doctors these days assume that heartburn is caused by diet alone, especially when the patient is overweight. If you're lucky it's just caused by diet and weight because those are easily fixable. If you do have GERD, it's better to catch it now when you're young and it's new than to let it go and cause major damage. My uncle was only 32 when he had to have surgery to reopen his esophagus. He actually had it done the same day I had my barium swallow done so the stress was increased for me that day. If you do have GERD, be prepared for further testing. The barium swallow will show whether or not you have GERD or a hiatal hernia (mine hasn't been fixed and has caused no problems for me) but it will NOT show what is causing it. In my case, there are not other factors causing it so I got lucky. I still had to deal with the other tests though.

In my opinion, after the ultrasounds, the barium swallow was the least unpleasant test I had done for the heartburn. I have actually had x-rays done that were more painful and distressing than the barium swallow was.

Good luck with your test! If it does show no GERD, listen to what your doctor says about diet changes. Keep your diet/attack journal religiously because it will show you what is causing it and what isn't. If you do everything she says to control it and it's still giving you grief, still be prepared for testing because things like uclers and gall stones can cause heartburn but wont show up on the swallow.

Everyone gets heartburn at some point in their lives but there's no reason to let it take over your life.
  • Equilibrium
    Equilibrium Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can certainly sympathize with you about heartburn -- it's been a problem for me since I was a teenager. Unlike Spike1380 (who had really good comments about non-overeating causes of heartburn), I have realized in the last few months that my heartburn is almost exclusively caused by overeating. I am new to MFP but started WW at the end of April. I didn't even notice that I wasn't having heartburn until I went overboard eating one day and was miserable, not from bloating but from heartburn. Every time I've overeaten, I've had to take lanzaprazole (similar to Prilosec if you're in the USA). It has helped me to scale back on my portion sizes.

When I was in my 20's I had to have the barium test. I didn't think it was too bad, other than the taste. It was worthwhile, though, to know that there wasn't something seriously wrong with me.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Gluten (most commonly in wheat bread) will actually make my GERD flare badly. Crazy, maybe, but I do know when I remain gluten free I have far fewer issues with heartburn / acid reflux. Processed foods and fast foods (usually with high sodium / MSG / artificial flavorants) can also cause some heartburn and indigestion. Alcohol, particularly rye whiskey, will do a number on me. It's sort of trial and error for each individual to determine triggers. Some things can easily be halted with TUMS or Zantac, but more severe symptoms may require some sleuthing to find any food or medication triggers.

The other huge trigger (someone mentioned here) are birth control pills. These babies actually started my GERD symptoms in my late teens / early 20s. My heartburn was so severe I couldn't control it with prescription drugs. It actually led to vomiting it was so bad at times. Now that I'm off of BC pills, I tend to only get GERD from a select number of foods that I mentioned above.
  • spike1380
    spike1380 Posts: 82
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention last night:

On the subject of OTC medication - If you take something and it doesn't work for you, try something else. They're not all the same thing. Check the active ingredient to make sure you're not taking the same thing repeatedly. For me, ranitidine (Zantac) works best. Omeprazole (Prilosec), Lansoprazole (Prevacid) don't work for me. Also, some are designed to be taken every day, even without symptoms. I think Prevacid is one of those but I'm not sure. Make sure you follow the instructions. Not all antacids are created equal! If you have heartburn once or twice a week, try something like Zantac first. There's no reason to take a pill every day for something that you don't deal with every day.

If you're going to self medicate, it's best to start with the calcium supplement type things (Tums) and those liquidy things (Mylanta). If they work for you, there's no point in paying more for pills. Then try the OTC pills like Zantac. If they're supposed to be taken every day, give them enough time to start working properly before you discard it. If you take 1 and it doesn't work, try taking Tums to supplement it before you take a second. Some of them are only meant to be taken once per 24 hour period.

If it's available in your area, there's a gum called Chooz. It is by far, the most effective calcium based treatment I ever found. In those unfortunate times when I woke up crying at 3am, Chooz is what I went for right after taking the Zantac. Within 5 minutes, I would have enough relief to go back to bed while waiting for the pill to start working. Unfortunately I can't find it any more. It comes in a blue and white box and is in the antacid section. I used to stockpile it in my locker at work because everyone I worked with came to me for antacids and everyone agreed that it worked very well.

Most importantly, BUY GENERIC! It's very beneficial financially to do research on different generic names. When you grab a box that says ranitidine 150 and another that says Zantac 150, look at the active ingredient on the back. It's the exact same thing (ranitidine 150). There is absolutely no reason to pay extra for packaging, especially when you're still finding out what works for you. Once you find it, don't just buy generic. Buy the big bottle. Even if you don't have heartburn often, it's far less expensive to buy a bottle of 60 or 80 than it is to buy blister packs of 12 or 24.

Until I got over my issue with buying generic (strange holdover from poverty as a child), I stopped spending over $100 a month on heartburn remedies. I now spend about $40 per month and that's so much better.
  • pepprmntkel
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Very helpful :)