What are YOUR invaluable tools for success?

I've been on and off MFP for a couple years, starting at my heaviest at 152lbs, and down to my lowest at 133lbs. During my off-times I've been back up as high as 146, which is the kick in the butt I need to climb back on the horse.

Today, I'm at 140.7, about to head out on my third run of C25K, and committed to this thing for the long haul. What made the difference this time for me, as far as making this a lifestyle and not just a quick fix, were two invaluable tools that, when I use them with MFP, make ALL THE DIFFERENCE.

First, is my food scale. I can't even tell you how much peace it gives me to know that I'm logging as accurately as I possibly can. Before I had it, washing and using and rewashing and reusing my measuring cups every ten seconds was such a pain in the butt. Now, when I'm making a green smoothie, I put the whole blender pitcher on there, zero it out, and then add ingredients one by one, zeroing after each addition. SO easy.

The second thing that has streamlined my fitness journey is the MFP app, and, more specifically, the barcode scanner. Holy wow. Before I had my iphone, every time I wanted to log something, I had to sit down, turn on my computer, bring up MFP, search for the food, scroll through pages of things that didn't match, and finally select the one I wanted. With the app, it's always there, always on, and takes an incredible 10 seconds (MAX) to add something to my diary. Also, the pie chart of Carbs/Fat/Protein is incredibly helpful for me to visualize exactly what's going on. Easy peasy. No excuses now.

I really feel like this is it, this is the time. My time. The time when I go all the way, and never look back. Armed with the right tools, anything is possible. Take that, family history of diabetes and heart disease. Take THAT! :)

Replies

• closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    My running shoes... I must run!!!
  • NOLA19
    NOLA19 Posts: 31 Member
    Where is the bar code scanner on the MFP app?
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Food scale, Garmin, running shoes, good sports bra.

Gym membership helps, but isn't necessary. Ditto MFP app--I lost most of my weight two years ago using another tracking site on the computer, and it wasn't all that much more of a hassle.
  • CaseyBee
    CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
    Where is the bar code scanner on the MFP app?

If you click on My Diary, then Add, after choosing a meal (say, Lunch) it's the button with a barcode way up on the top right of the screen, under the Multi-Add button. If you click it, the camera function turns on, and you just center the bar code in the middle of the guide square that shows up on the screen, and it finds the food associated. Like I said, easy peasy! :)

(Edited for typos. Good lord, "teh" is going to be the death of me.)
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Comfortable workout clothes and earphones, I NEED my earphones!
  • Tool number one: Positive attitude ready to tackle anything and everything.

Tool number two: MFP app for sure.

I've also started C25K a few times, but something always stops me. So once I get down to my first main goal (170) I will be starting it and FINISHING it. 18 pounds to go.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    One that I haven't seen yet is Pinterest. So many amazing looking healthy recipies, workouts, motivational pictures, and more. Couldn't have gotten this far without it!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    More than two: Personal size smoothie blender; 18oz thermos hydration bottle; Nexus 7" tablet w/MFP app; food scale; treadmill; crockpot, Walk Away Pounds DVDs, good socks & sneakers, my sister as my MFP Pal.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Food scale, Fitbit, treadmill and understanding that this is a lifestyle change that will enable me to sit comfortably on a plane to travel. :)
  • N8r8r
    N8r8r Posts: 75 Member

Mine are threefold; two which you have told us already (the food scale and the barcode scanner on MFP), and the other is my Fitbit One. That little beauty has helped me out so much. I love to walk, and Fitbit keeps track of my steps and it syncs with MFP. Both sites are interlinked, so if my daily activities (walking mostly) increased my calorie burn past what MFP calculated it would be based on my "activity level", it adjusts my calories accordingly and gives me a "Fitbit calorie adjustment" for that day. It might not seem like much, but I feel that my Fitbit makes my MFP that much more accurate and tailored to me.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    I used the food scale for a while, but after time you learn how to measure portions. But it was a great tool. Logging on MFP daily is a must for me, as is weighing myself every day. Both keep me honest in staying towards my goals. I really dont need much beyond that...having lost many people close to me from them living unhealthy lives is motivation enough for me, as is the desire to set the right example for those around me, especially my little guy!
  • NOLA19
    NOLA19 Posts: 31 Member
    Thanks for the help with the scanner. That will come in handy!