Strength Training- Toning

Options
Hi MFP world!!

I am getting close to my goal weight (Yay!!) and I do a lot of cardiovascular exercise every day. Mostly running, as I am training for a half marathon. But I want to add some strength training into my routine to help tone my new body. :smile: There's nothing more annoying than your arm fat flapping in the wind during a long run...

So, I know what I want to do, but I'm not sure how to do it. I have never really lifted weights and I'm not sure what to do to effectively tone my muscles. I'm mostly looking for upper body moves, but I like doing things like squats as well. I have most of the equipment that I think I will need, kettlebells, dumbells, resistance bands... but I need a little guidance.

Anyone have a lifting routine that they would be willing to share?? What exercises are most effective? How many reps and sets do I do? How often should I work lifting into my 6-day/week running rountine? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :happy:

~Brenda

Replies

• LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I would google arm exercises for the different things you have at home, kettlebell, dumbells etc. They all offer different variations of the same exercises, that way you can keep things fresh. One suggestion I would make it whatever exercise you do make sure you work the opposite muscle group in the same workout. For example if you do a biceps move do a triceps move. If you do a chest move do a upper back move.

You could also try youtube, they may have routines for the different equipment you have. One bonus to strength training is that it can help improve your speed for running and also help prevent injury.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    When I transitioned to maintenance I started Mark Lauren's strength training program for women, from his book Body By You. The guy develops exercise programs for military special ops groups, like the Navy Seals and the Green Berets. His first book, You Are Your Own Gym, is looked at as the 'bible' in the body building community. The guy knows his stuff and is highly respected.

I've been doing it for 5 weeks-

-My arms have muscle definition for the first time and my 'chicken wing' flap underneath is almost gone :)
    -My upper back and shoulders look amazing-I can't believe they belong to my body lol.
    -My dh says my butt is much better looking, which is great because that was one of my problem areas.
    -I'm stronger-I can pick up my 40lb son with little effort-5 weeks ago I'd have dropped him lol.

Best part-you only do it three days a week, for 30 minutes a time. There's also no extra equipment needed besides things like a chair (no dumbbells etc).

Absolutely love this program!
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I want to check put You are your own gym, too. Love the idea of not needing extra equipment
  • snooj
    snooj Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Since you're mostly a runner and competing in that, I'd treat strength training as secondary so three days a week is fine. Consider programs that focus on compound lifts, full body each time, rather than split programs. Look at programs like NLRFW, Starting Strength, or All Pro's. The first two in particular is good for beginners. Look them up and see which one seems to work for you.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I want to check put You are your own gym, too. Love the idea of not needing extra equipment

I was going to do this one, but then saw that Mark had just come out with a book/program geared specifically for women (Body By You), so I went that route-but I plan on doing You Are Your Own Gym next. If you're a bit more advanced with exercise you could just start with You Are Your Own Gym :)
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am a runner who has been strength training for the past four months and it's done more than tone my arms-- it's made me a better runner! I love FitnessBlender.com-- loads of great exercise options and you can search by difficulty, length of workout, body part focus, etc. Chances are that you'll get hooked and want to start into heavier weights eventually! :smile:
  • RachelHoffman0709
    RachelHoffman0709 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    :happy: I just bought the book, "The New Weight Lifting Rules For Women, Lift like a Man look like a Goddess" It has a ton of information and lots of strength training exercises. I highly recommend it!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You need a caloric deficit to drop body fat (what you are calling "toning"), and you need heavy, compound strength training and plenty of protein to maintain your lean body mass. Biceps curls and triceps kickbacks will work those muscles, but they aren't going to get rid of the fat on top of them. Stronglifts, Starting Strength, New Rules ... these are good places to start.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with these very issues. I want to start the New Rules... program but, with working full time, being a single mom of a 3 yearold and running 5 days a week, spending additional time in the gym is unrealistic. I already have to get my runs in during my workday so strength training is going to have to be something I do at home. And I don't have the equipment to lift heavier weights at each workout at home. So I've decided on using You Are Your Own Gym until race season is over. Once it is over, I may decrease my running to 3 days over the winter and start New Rules so I'm stronger once race season rolls around again in the spring.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP world!!

I am getting close to my goal weight (Yay!!) and I do a lot of cardiovascular exercise every day. Mostly running, as I am training for a half marathon. But I want to add some strength training into my routine to help tone my new body. :smile: There's nothing more annoying than your arm fat flapping in the wind during a long run...

So, I know what I want to do, but I'm not sure how to do it. I have never really lifted weights and I'm not sure what to do to effectively tone my muscles. I'm mostly looking for upper body moves, but I like doing things like squats as well. I have most of the equipment that I think I will need, kettlebells, dumbells, resistance bands... but I need a little guidance.

Anyone have a lifting routine that they would be willing to share?? What exercises are most effective? How many reps and sets do I do? How often should I work lifting into my 6-day/week running rountine? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :happy:

~Brenda

You have a couple options, neither is really any better than the other, just what you may prefer.

one is doing weights, keeping it basic & compound movements. You don't have to spend hours or do tons of isolation exercises. (starting strength, 5x5, etc)

The other is a body weight based routine if you don't want to or can't go to the gym. Do not underestimate body weight stuff. there are variations that make the moves very difficult nad as effective as free weights. (yayog & it's spin off program, nerdfitness, gold medal bodies, etc)

Depending on which program you follow or how you choose to structure the program and break it up, you could lift anywhere from 2-4x a week. I would hit each muscle group 1-2x per week.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    You need a caloric deficit to drop body fat (what you are calling "toning"), and you need heavy, compound strength training and plenty of protein to maintain your lean body mass. Biceps curls and triceps kickbacks will work those muscles, but they aren't going to get rid of the fat on top of them. Stronglifts, Starting Strength, New Rules ... these are good places to start.

^^^This is exactly what you need to do. Since you're running so much, I would recommend Starting Strength over Stronglifts or New Rules of LIfting for Women because of the lower volume.