Farm Fresh Eggs

Options
I have the opportunity of getting farm fresh eggs and besides the obvious financial benefit (they are FREE!) I'm unsure as to whether it's best to eat unpasteurized eggs.
I'm leaning towards them because they're organic, I know who raises them and how they're handled and it's as I think it should be. They're free range over 4.5 acres not eating their own poop in a cage they can't move in. I just don't know what the actual health benefits to pasteurizing is... Any advice please?
I'm all ears.

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    The only way those eggs could be better is if they were duck eggs! GO FOR IT, they will be healthy and better in flavor than any supermarket eggs.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I get my eggs from my in-laws pet chickens-my kids collect them, fil washes them off and I put them in the carton :) Fresh from the farm eggs are the best! Free range, pastured eggs are more nutrient dense-they'll have a bright yellow yolk, almost orange.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Assuming a healthy flock, free-range eggs are usually better for you than caged. Less crowding = better disease/pathogen control. They will most certainly taste better!!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I have no idea on pastuerizing eggs and such. However we often get free farm fresh eggs. One thing I do is check them before cooking this to make sure they are good. Obviously they are fresh however I have had some that were not good. I put them in a bowl of cold water and if they float they are bad.

Enjoy
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Urban chicken farmer speaking up here: EAT THE EGGS!!!! Chickens who have access to pasture eat a varied diet, leading to higher levels of omega 3's and overall healthier chickens, which means healthier eggs. Also, the eggs you get will be pretty darn fresh, as opposed to eggs that have been sitting around a looooooooooooooooong time in a refrigerator. And your risk of illness is much lower. Ask your farmer if they wash the eggs. If they do, put them straight in the fridge. If they don't, keep them on your counter or in the fridge, washing only right before you use them (they have a natural anti-microbial barrier). And then nomnomnom those delicious eggies! (yep, just a little enthusiastic about eggs. :smile: )
  • NJD2885
    NJD2885 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    We have our own hens and farm fresh eggs taste a lot better than store eggs. I've eaten farm fresh more than i have store bought and i've never had any issues. and this is over a period of like 20 years
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Store-bought eggs are likely to have salmonella because of the way chickens are raised on industrial farms. Healthy chickens on a friend's farm should be fine. When I was a kid, we used to eat raw eggs a lot -- even put them in our milkshakes. If you are super worried, you can open the eggs and heat them to about 140-150 degrees before using them raw. Commercial chefs do that for whipped egg whites, when they need to add raw egg whites to something. You can google that if you really want to know how to do it.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 eggs from my girls every morning. They are delicious and I know that the eggs from my girls came from much healthier, happier birds than any of the store bought variety.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have my own hens, also. Like kirabob said~"EAT THE EGGS"!!!
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am so jealous! Eat those eggs!!!!!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Eggs are despoiled by pasteurization just like milk. It allows factory farms to sell their garbage without making as many people sick.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    They have a more distinct taste so if you like eggs, you'll love farm fresh. My friend has his own chickens and he eats eggs everyday. His cholestrol levels have actually dropped from eating his own free range.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, the majority of eggs sold at the grocery store are not pasteurized either (at least in the US). They would need to specifically state that they are pasteurized. Did you eat pasteurized eggs before?
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm all wet behind the ears (someone correct me if I am), but the only reason to pasteurize an egg that I know of is if you're going to use it raw, like in mayonnaise. So unless you make your own mayo, you're probably much better off getting the farm fresh ones. We eat quite a few eggs in our home (okay, everyone's definition of "quite a few" is different, but for us 5-6 dozen a month for two adults and one child), and we get farm fresh whenever we can. We also plan on getting chickens once some major landscaping is out of the way.
  • xiantan
    xiantan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I was in a small town in France and later in Italy, I found that people did not necessarily keep their eggs in refrigerators, but in a cool cellar. I was told that they could last for 3-4 weeks as long as it was not refrigerated. Once refrigerated, you must keep eggs cold. The yolks were very dark orange, a little scary at first, but they tasted incredible! Even the kids noticed, and still talk about how delicious simple scrambled eggs tasted on our European trip.
  • trentwiggly
    trentwiggly Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You can pastuerize them in the shell and keep them "raw".

http://paleohacks.com/questions/98292/easy-way-to-pasteurize-eggs-or-egg-free-mayo-recipe#axzz2TsqvwZmd

I've used the "in hot water at 140F for three minutes" method and have made a lot of mayonnaise with it....oh my mayonnaise :love:

But the germ-nasties don't necessarily get into the egg until the shell is broken, so just make sure they are gently washed clean and they should be good for anything you need.
  • cathrynfay
    cathrynfay Posts: 32
    Options
    accidental double post
  • cathrynfay
    cathrynfay Posts: 32
    Options
    Most grocery store eggs aren't pasteurized, either. Unless you are specifically purchasing that kind (usually sold in cartons as a liquid) at your grocery store, there isn't a difference - except in flavor and freshness, of course.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I've been eating locally back-yard produced eggs almost exclusively for 3 years and have yet to have a bad one.

And they just taste SO much better!
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i eat a lovely egg from my hens every day.

they are FAR better for you then supermarket eggs.