Question about calorie deficit

Options
So...I bought myself an HRM this weekend. I decided that I would wear it 24/7 at least for this first week just so I can get an idea of what my daily burn is. I wear it while I'm sleeping, eating, working out, etc. I work out for about an hour each night. Every day I've been burning between 3500 and 3700 calories from daily activity and working out.

Here is my question...I am eating 1700 calories a day because of my weight (208) and the amount that I exercise. Sooo...if I'm eating 1700 and burning 3700, doesn't that give me a deficit of 2000 calories? Isn't that too many, isn't that depriving my body of too many calories?

I'm trying to get this all straight in my head and it's getting very confusing. Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Great question! My HRM was just shipped today and I had the same idea you did. I am interested to see what I actually burn chasing after 2 children! I will be watching this thread for sure. What HRM do you have?
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Ok, I tried to find any of the threads that I've read that address this. Unfortunately I couldn't find the ones I was thinking of. So I will try to tell you what they said, but I don't claim to have the scientific backup for any of this!

Basically, as I understood it, HRM are not accurate when you use them to keep track of ALL your daily activity. One example I remember is that when you get startled your heart rate increases, but your calorie burn does not increase. However, the HRM will register an increase because it is only going by your heart rate. Another example is during weight training your heart rate increases because of the increase of pressure. Your calorie burn DURING weight training is NOT equal to what the HRM will say. There is also what is known as "after burn," but once again the HRM doesn't register this because your heart rate is not affected.

There are many other instances of how a HRM is not 100% accurate. It is an estimate. It is the most accurate estimate we have available to us (unless you want to be hooked up to big machines with a tube in your mouth while you workout). I have a HRM, and I use it, but I don't take it as gospel.

I hope this helped! (If you have questions, two people who are VERY knowledgable about this are SHBoss1673 and Azdak.)
  • mksmom09
    mksmom09 Posts: 12
    Options
    First off what is an HRM, where can I get one and how much does it cost?
  • xlizzislegend
    Options
    @mksmom09 - a HRM is a heart rate monitor. You can buy them practically everywhere they sell fitness equipment. I got mine from Academy Sports and Outdoors. Lots of people have success buying them from Amazon or eBay as well.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    If you want a more accurate reading of your daily calorie burn, I would buy a Body Bug or Go Wear Fit. It's more accurate than a HRM for daily expenditure because it was designed for that. It also determines how long you sleep, and when you wake up. If you continue to use your HRM daily, I would take an average of what your HRM days and what this website says you burn a day.
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I will be very interested to hear what people say...I only wear my HRM when I workout....I fiqure my body is used to my daily activity and my metabolism has run off that already because it is used to it..... so the only extra calories I count are what I burn during my workouts.......just my opinion but will look for everyone elses....very curious....