Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Body Fat Percentage

I went to the Fat2Fit website and used their different calculators:

Fat2Fit said I was 26.9%
The Military calculator said I was 37.6%
Covert-Bailey said 30.5%
My Tanita scale says 37%

so who's right? Or should I just average?

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Look up some pictures of people at measured body fat levels, and compare yourself. Or post a picture here -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/826435-bodyfat-estimation-thread

and let Sarauk2sf and sidesteel give you their expert opinions.

Given the approximate level you're at at the moment, though, I'd say body fat shouldn't be a big concern to you. Just focus on losing the weight, getting your macros right, and do some form of strength training to protect your lean mass.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Skin caliper? Skin caliper testing would be more accurate than those methods.

Go to the Bodpod, DEXA, or hydrostatic testing to get the most accurate measurement of bodyfat percentage.

You use a bodyfat measurement to ensure the weight you lose isn't lean body mass, but fat. At least something like a caliper would tell you if you're losing bodyfat despite the original reading.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    See if someone will check it using callipers, or alternatively, see if their is a bodpod, Dexa scan, hydrostatic weighing or a newer method, supposedly the most accurate thus far, InBody body analyser.

I would never trust the online calculators.
    And things like Tanita are renowned for inaccuracy. It is rare, I believe, that they are accurate as the results can be skewed by hydration levels, among other factors.
  • lrbassmom
    lrbassmom Posts: 123
    I would post a picture on that thread but I'm not that brave... plus, the pictures I've taken of myself ... I just look kind of stupid.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 2,951 Member
    i posted on that thread and i was given the same rating as what fat2fit gave me on the military calculator.