I CAN'T GO TO THE BATHROOM!!! HELP

Options

Replies

• wanda9501
    wanda9501 Posts: 114
    Options
    I to know how you feel. I went through this a few years ago and was given all these meds to make me go that didn't work. I was admitted into the hospital and a CT revealed it was blood that was causing the "I need to go feeling"! I had complications from surgery that caused it. If it has been 5 days and you have taken all the things that suppose to make you go and you haven't, you need to go back and let them know you are not getting any relief and need help.

Just sent up a pray for you hope you feel better and please keep us posted....
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had this issue just a little while ago (while drinking 18 cups of water a day) and I ended up getting some Senna tea (health food stores - Smooth Move) It took a little longer then the box said it would, and I took some at night before bed and then again around 2pm the next day and FINALLY things started moving...Now everything is back to normal, but it took a few days and a lot of frustration.

In your case, you've tried a lot of hard things for your body, maybe something natural (but still not good to take too much of) along with getting back into the doctors and having them do a proper scan/colonoscopy might be the next course of action.

Always better to find out now rather than wait and suffer more, possibly causing damage.

Just an FYI- you can get that tea at most grocery stores and at Target, too. And, if you end up drinking this make sure you have the time to stick around the house until it works ;)
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Have you been vomiting?

ETA - Just saw you have the lapband. I would probably go in, considering you've had stomach surgery.

no vomiting. felt unhungry this morning and afternoon that was it.. I know that vomiting is a sign of an obstruction.. I think I don't have a complete obstruction If I did have one, I would believe it to be partial, because of the ability to pass water through, but nothing else.

Vomiting is a sign of small bowel obstruction. You would also have wavelike pain. If you have a large bowel obstruction, you'll have pain of a duller sort. Eventually you will get liquid stools as well that seep around the impaction.

I would go back to the ER if the pain is keeping you from sleeping, working, and living.

As for bananas and apples, yes, they are chock full of fiber. Fiber isn't the enemy, but you do need more water with it, which I understand is harder with a lapband in place since you can only take in a small amount of food/water at a time.

You say you have a history of constipation. Well, constipation begets constipation. And chronic constipation leads to large bowel obstructions. Your body begins to not respond to the urge to poop the more often you ignore it (be it because you're busy, commuting, not a good time, whatever). The longer poop stays in your large intestine, the more water your colon absorbs from it, making it harder stool. Ask your GI about retraining your bowel habits once this is resolved. If you take stimulant laxatives, that will only complicate chronic constipation as your body becomes reliant upon it to defecate.

FWIW, I'm a nursing student and obviously don't mind talking about poop (I could talk for days about it!). Nothing anyone -including myself- says here is medical advice. But back to the doctor tomorrow is your best bet.
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Have you been vomiting?

ETA - Just saw you have the lapband. I would probably go in, considering you've had stomach surgery.

no vomiting. felt unhungry this morning and afternoon that was it.. I know that vomiting is a sign of an obstruction.. I think I don't have a complete obstruction If I did have one, I would believe it to be partial, because of the ability to pass water through, but nothing else.

Vomiting is a sign of small bowel obstruction. You would also have wavelike pain. If you have a large bowel obstruction, you'll have pain of a duller sort. Eventually you will get liquid stools as well that seep around the impaction.

I would go back to the ER if the pain is keeping you from sleeping, working, and living.

As for bananas and apples, yes, they are chock full of fiber. Fiber isn't the enemy, but you do need more water with it, which I understand is harder with a lapband in place since you can only take in a small amount of food/water at a time.

You say you have a history of constipation. Well, constipation begets constipation. And chronic constipation leads to large bowel obstructions. Your body begins to not respond to the urge to poop the more often you ignore it (be it because you're busy, commuting, not a good time, whatever). The longer poop stays in your large intestine, the more water your colon absorbs from it, making it harder stool. Ask your GI about retraining your bowel habits once this is resolved. If you take stimulant laxatives, that will only complicate chronic constipation as your body becomes reliant upon it to defecate.

FWIW, I'm a nursing student and obviously don't mind talking about poop (I could talk for days about it!). Nothing anyone -including myself- says here is medical advice. But back to the doctor tomorrow is your best bet.

Yes I have water that comes, but that is all? so this could be a large bowl obstruction? I know it has not helped the bowl move itself because of the xray that was taken, just going around it I am guessing?? you are very informative... thank you..
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The doctors should be able to tell if you have an obstruction from regular X-Rays. A CT does give more information, and considering your lap band history, it might not be a bad idea. I would try Fleet's phosphosoda (to drink) and a Fleet's enema as well. I had an impaction years ago, didn't go for 6 days...so I feel your pain. The Fleet's worked for me. After that, I increased my water intake, had 1-2 glasses of metamucil per day, and ate 10 prunes a day. Activia yogurt claims to help move the bowels, Your doctor is right about the bananas & apples...The BRAT diet for diarrhea is a mnemonic for "Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast ." Good luck!
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    Have you been vomiting?

Yes I have water that comes, but that is all? so this could be a large bowl obstruction? I know it has not helped the bowl move itself because of the xray that was taken, just going around it I am guessing?? you are very informative... thank you..

You're welcome! Just saw your PM too- That's certainly what it's sounding like. I'm surprised no one at the ER gave you a firm diagnosis before discharging you. It's important that you let them know that you do have liquid stool (they'll want to know all sorts of fun details like amount, color, consistency, odor).

I would refrain from taking anything that has not been recommended by *your* doctors. That includes herbals and laxative teas. But when you do see your doctor again, let them know exactly what you have tried, the dosages, and when. Everything, including over the counter, prescription, homeopathic, exercise, herbal- EVERYTHING.

When did you last see a doctor about this?

Edit: It's also important that you let them know what "normal" is for you, as in how often you normally have a bowel movement, what its consistency is (soft versus spongy versus hard versus "rocks"), and how easy it is for you to have one.
  • Paulapatricia2011
    Paulapatricia2011 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to go back to the doctor and let them stop your suffering. Please do. However you can although blend a raw carrot with some old fashioned oats and drink it. You an use some raisins a a sweetener but really it does not taste as bad aS it sounds and its not as harsh as a laxative. I really hope you feel better soon!!
  • GrendlStig
    GrendlStig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse, too, and I agree with you 100%.
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Update 2:30 am and I am home... the dr got ahold of the xray that was taken today and saw concern to do a ct scan, so drank that nasty purple drink and waited and then had the contrast in my arm, And I am very impacted, and the sent me home with a huge container of GolyTely they believe that will take care of it. I also was warned I will be getting a call from the dr tomorrow in the clinic that the radiologist seen something abnormal on my xray and just tell them I already had the ct and if this don't work, go back to follow up... Don't really want any tubes down my nose or anything... So praying this will all be worked out tomorrow.. I am going to try to get some sleep and start this 1 cup every 10 min process in the morning.. I'm exhausted. Thank you for all of your help. At least now I know what is going on.. and hopefully this will be the fix and then I can make sure I get enough fiber in my life.... because I don't want to go through with this again, that's for sure...
  • circles2
    circles2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know you are waiting to hear from the radiologist and from a nurse....but they don't realize how miserable you are. Yes, go back to the ER, but also....keep calling them. You have to be the squeaky wheel sometimes to get some help...not a time to be patient. Don't leave the hospital until you get some positive results.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    Update 2:30 am and I am home... the dr got ahold of the xray that was taken today and saw concern to do a ct scan, so drank that nasty purple drink and waited and then had the contrast in my arm, And I am very impacted, and the sent me home with a huge container of GolyTely they believe that will take care of it. I also was warned I will be getting a call from the dr tomorrow in the clinic that the radiologist seen something abnormal on my xray and just tell them I already had the ct and if this don't work, go back to follow up... Don't really want any tubes down my nose or anything... So praying this will all be worked out tomorrow.. I am going to try to get some sleep and start this 1 cup every 10 min process in the morning.. I'm exhausted. Thank you for all of your help. At least now I know what is going on.. and hopefully this will be the fix and then I can make sure I get enough fiber in my life.... because I don't want to go through with this again, that's for sure...

Glad to hear you got to see the Dr. again. The GoLytely should help, and it will help keep your electrolytes in order. Did they tell you to eat a low fiber diet until the obstruction passes? Normally they don't decompress a LBO with an NG tube, like you're fearing. That's for small bowel obstruction. Just be sure to follow up when it does pass, or if it doesn't. And talk to your GI about retraining your bowel habits to prevent this and to resolve the chronic constipation. Since you have the lapband, you may need to increase the amount of fluids you take in at meals, like eating foods that have higher water content. Apples are great for that, so are grapes, cucumbers, celery, and zucchini. I'd be careful with things like fiber supplements unless your GI said to use them. They gel up, and can pose a choking hazard in people who have a slow esophagus or decreased gastric emptying, and might be harder for you to consume with the lapband. So check before you buy metamucil powders or cookies. I hope you feel better soon and that you finally get to poop!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

Take care and let us know how it goes.
  • hap2010
    hap2010 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Saw you went back to the doctor, I hope you feel better soon.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I see you went to the ER. Hope it all "works out" for you.

I try to always check the Mayo Clinic website for health related issues.

Good info:

"when there is not enough fluid or fiber-rich food in your diet — or if the colon's muscle contractions are slow — the stool hardens, dries and passes through your colon too slowly. This is the root cause of constipation. "

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/constipation/DS00063/DSECTION=causes

"Diet and lifestyle changes
    The following simple changes can go a long way toward reducing constipation: "

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/constipation/DS00063/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

BTW I googled bananas and apples and constipation and discovered that treatment for diarrhea includes these as part of the "BRAT" diet. Learn something new everyday.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I had this problem quite often even with all my fitness & water consumption but was told to take 800 mg of HIGH POTENCY MAGNESIUM (they are soft gel oil & can be found in Walmart by Nature Made) until you clean out then go to 400mg a day after that. I drank lots of water & ate fresh fruits like apples, pears, strawberries but blueberries really help. Also see a chiropractor, they work on your stomach to release tension in the bowels. I swear by doing these things!!! I feel your pain and discomfort!!!

You know zero about her biochemistry and yet you tell her to take a supplement that you have no idea what it will do to her...

ever hear of Hypermagnesemia? prolly not.. but hey what do i know?
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Glad you went back into the hospital. looking at your age, and im guess doing an educated guess here on worst case scenario, is that maybe you have a polyp or two right by the ileocecal valve, which caused a bottle-necking of your digestive track. highly doubt cancer. so get that worry out of your head. BUT if i was you, get a colonoscopy to make sure all is ok. 10 years of eating bad does really terrible things to ones colon.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I had this problem quite often even with all my fitness & water consumption but was told to take 800 mg of HIGH POTENCY MAGNESIUM (they are soft gel oil & can be found in Walmart by Nature Made) until you clean out then go to 400mg a day after that. I drank lots of water & ate fresh fruits like apples, pears, strawberries but blueberries really help. Also see a chiropractor, they work on your stomach to release tension in the bowels. I swear by doing these things!!! I feel your pain and discomfort!!!

You know zero about her biochemistry and yet you tell her to take a supplement that you have no idea what it will do to her...

Cmon man, a little less abrasiveness would make for a positive contribution.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    "WARNING THIS POST CONTAINS THINGS OF A GRAPHIC NATURE" If you don't want to be offended please don't continue to read...

I'm almost in tears writing this, it has been 5 days of pure misery! for 2 days I took milk of magnesia, nothing, so went to the ER, they gave me an enema, only moved part of the lower bowl, but only on one side, told me to take magnesium citrate or something.. Bought a bottle of that, drank it, nothing...Went to the dr he told me to take some miralax... I'm not a rocket scientist.. But I am starting to think that there is something wrong if nothing is working??????????? They took an xray and said it was built up and gas on top of it, but said he would send it to a radiologist to look at because he saw something else in question that didn't know what it was... I don't know what to do.. All I know is I am in pain.... And nothing is working... Would you go back to the ER and demand a CT scan to make sure there is no obstruction or something? I don't really care for this hospital here, but don't have the money to get to another one right now...

I am sorry to hear this but this may be why your eyes are brown. :bigsmile:
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options

Although he is right to be cautious about taking magnesium. That stuff messes with your heart rhythm and can really screw you up. You have to be really careful with electrolytes like magnesium and potassium. Both can cause arrhythmias.