Should I up my sodium intake?

Options
I have hypotension and anemia.

When I was eating unhealthily, I consumed a lot of sodium which, while certainly not healthy, served as a sort of unintentional self-medication. The sodium raised my blood pressure slightly and I rarely had to worry about dizzy spells.

Now, I've cut the Ramen and most other similar processed foods. I have greater energy and I felt great, but recently the dizzy spells have returned--and they've returned with a vengeance.

Today, while on my TOM, my blood pressure dipped dramatically and I almost swooned in class. If I lie down for any period of time, I cannot get up quickly without plopping back down.

It's frustrating and discouraging, because I haven't been able to work out the way I want to for the past few days.

I have been increasing my iron (I take a daily supplement) and drink at least 8 cups of water a day.

Should I increase my sodium intake?

If so, how should I go about doing it?

Replies

• bhbarros
    bhbarros Posts: 101
    Options
    I hate to bump, but I'm genuinely concerned.
  • msurads06
    msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    How much sodium do you get a day? I would probably discuss this with my doctor, there is a blood test that can check your sodium levels to see if they are too low. While most Americans get too much, it is possible to get too little sodium, It is necessary for your body to function correctly.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My nephew was getting too little. The school does not add salt to any foods, my sister was buying low sodium items and his new coach had banned sports drinks. Ended up he needed to add sodium to his diet. I can't say how much is right for you but if you have medical issues that relate to sodium you should definitely see a doctor. As much as we'd love to help you, most of us are not capable of doing so.
  • bhbarros
    Options
    You're right, of course. I tried to eat something salty though, and it made me feel pretty ill. I'll schedule an appointment with the doctor. Thanks :D
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Could be either volume depletion, or anemia, or any number of other issues. Definitely check with your doctor. That said, if you're exercising and sweating a lot you do need sodium. So don't bother with a low salt diet if you exercise and have no hypertension issues.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Instead of drinking 8 cups of water, maybe you should try switching to a liquid with added electrolytes.
  • bhbarros
    Options
    Thanks :) I'm not purposely avoiding salt, but the amount I eat has dropped pretty dramatically since I starting eating healthily. I'll try to pick up a drink like that (gatorade or something, right?). It's usually a bit too sweet for me, but I could see myself enjoying it as a post-workout treat.
  • CatAMcC
    CatAMcC Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi

Can I ask how you got on?

Experiencing this myself. Not sure how to up sodium/salt as eat foods where it isn't needed.

Love to hear how you got on.

Thanks!