Curious Question About Sauces!

Options
Maybe a dumb question lol

Tonight I was cooking a healthy recipe...well I added all these ingredients to make a sauce...honey, low sodium soy sauce, water, etc....well after I was done cooking the sauce was more of a liquid than solid it wasn't creamy....kind of a milk and cereal consistency...I scooped out my meat and veggies and there was a good amount of sauce left in the pan...I used the recipe builder and put all the ingredients on there but if I'm not eating all that sauce does that count?? Just confused...It was a single serving recipe...what do you do in this situation?? I added it all to my dinner even though I didn't put the sauce on my plate...

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Personally I just log it all anyway. I don't know what else you put in but what you listed wouldn't be a huge difference calorie wise. And some of that is likely water from the food you cooked. I prefer to err on the side of caution.
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thanks that's what I did...my concern was mainly the sugar content in the honey...
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    What I do in that situation is add a little broth and make it a meat and veggie soup. If I'm going to log it anyway I might as well eat it!
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was pondering almost this exact question earlier this week. I was using a marinade, most of which got discarded. I gave it my best guess as to how much was absorbed by the meat and figured that's all I can do. Luckily it was not a calorie intense marinade.

I don't think drinking the marinade is an option!!
  • msurads06
    msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    In this situation I will usually make some brown/wild rice and pour the sauce over the rice. I get fiber and carbs from the rice and the sauce gives the rice flavor without adding butter, etc, especially since you have already accounted for the calories. You could probably do the same with potatoes if you prefer.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If you want to get really precise about it, for any sauce/dressing/marinade where you're not having added liquid from cooking juices you can weigh the liquid before you add it, and weigh the leftover liquid. Take the difference, figure the Cals and subtract those from you're original amount. Way too much trouble for me, though.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue with jerky marinade... I watch sugar and carbs so when adding soy, worcester, brown sugar and whatever else it calls for I'm not EATING it all, just marinating in it so i know what you mean. I also have a few recipes where I make a sauce that doesn't stay on the food and I just log the whole sauce.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that's the way it goes.
    You made a delish sauce it sounds.
    Id log 1/2 of those ingredients since you didn't eat all the sauce.
    Also, don't worry about it all too much, one day isn't going to ruin you.
    :wink:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    You're never going to be exact. Peanut butter left on the measuring cup, that little bit of milk at the bottom of the glass, etc. The main goal first and foremost, get you to actually look at what you're eating. Second, its to give you an honest attempt at keeping a pretty decent goal. Even labels on products are permitted to be over, but not under, so often times they may err on the side of caution...but lets look at a can of soup. The readings are based on a test base, but will your can have the exact same amount of chicken or noodles or veggies for the exact calorie count? Fruit..do you weight it before you log it or do you look at a big apple and call it a large? Or a banana..do you pull out the tape measure?

Bottom line, measure, record, do your best to get as close to your net goal as possible...but don't worry about getting so precise because you'll just give yourself a headache. Basically, track and record, give it 30-45 days, if you're not seeing results then do a little tweaking either by adding or subtracting a couple hundred calories...give it another 30-45 days until you get it dialed in.