Protein Powder Help Please

Options
Hi :)

Can anyone help me with choosing some protein powder for post workouts?

I've spotted this one and was wondering if it is any good?

http://www.supplements.co.nz/supplements-on-sale/protein-powders/14-whey-protein-isolate-wpi/allmax-isoflex-2lb?keyword=peanut

I don't really know anything about protein powder but I would like lower cal, lower carb, higher protein obviously and this one seems to hit all of those?

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Seems like an okay protein powder. Don't get too caught up in the brand. Stick to a whey (any type), casinate, egg or combination protein (mix of different) proteins. I personally try to only by powders sweetened with sucralose or stevia.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition is one of the most popular brands, and I have been very happy with their gold standard 100% whey. I love the extreme milk chocolate flavor.
  • kcrhodes85
    kcrhodes85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    please dont pay that price
  • optimisticShark
    optimisticShark Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I use EAS soy protein powder - chocolate flavor. 1 scoop has 20 g protein and 180 carbs.

I have it with soy milk which has 8g protein/cup.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Dymatize for 28$ @GNC 2lbs, last forever
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Seems good to me, but you can definitely find one with the same quality and quantity for a cheaper price.
  • medicvaldez
    medicvaldez Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The only thing to remember is the lower the price the lower the quality and the more fillers it has. i use Pro-7 because Im diabetic and don't want the extra crap. if you want to learn to use them, as in, you don't know if you'll stick with it, get a cheap one, if you like using them step up to a higher quality one. I can feel a noticable difference in the two
  • brook0530
    brook0530 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi! I know of a great protein shake! Please message me for more info!

Brook
  • jandjcassidy
    jandjcassidy Posts: 143
    Options
    What about shakeology???
  • ajv1985
    ajv1985 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    dymatize elite xt banana ...under $40 for 5 lbs and tastes the best of any ive ever had IMO:smokin:
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I like shakeology, but I use it as a meal replacement in addition to being an after work out boost. If you are just looking for a pure protein powder, you can get them pretty cheaply. Just watch the carbs and sugar content.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Just get the protein powder that's cheapest that meets your $$$ and dietary needs.. aka if you are lactose intolerant, vegan, etc... general cases: Online shop and just find the cheapest whey.
  • baozytools12
    Options
    You all forget that OP is most likely from Australia or NZ. We pay double, triple and sometimes quadruple the price for supplements that you Americans and canadians pay for. 10lbs of protein can cost up to 220 dollars.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I love ISOFlex - but as otehrs have said...Don't pay that price!! Look on BB.com, etc if you can't find some locally. A 2-pound tub should NOT cost you 80$ on a "deal" - I manage to get mine for 45$ for a 2-lb tub and it lasts me a while...At least over a month as I wouldn't use a scoop every day, just after every workout and that would be only if I didn't have a ride from my friend or family member who would come and have a swim or whatnot at the same time as my workouts at which point I'd skip the whey and have a solid meal.

Tasty, mixes well, smooth going down and flavors such as chocolate mint I have found to be refreshing. 27g protein per 30g scoop and 27g of BCAA's as well - and one of the best parts for me was it's gentle on my stomach! It isn't guaranteed to eb gluten-free and so my guide can't use the stuff though it had been highly recommended by myself as well as some of ehr co-workers before she found out it wasn't GF. For those looking for something with natural sweetners - they have a line of natural protein i.e. made with stevia and not an artificial sweetner.
  • stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I use body fortress from Walmart. It tastes great and I've had success with it. If you are using it for post strength training then I wouldn't go too low on carbs as they are essential in replacing glycogen levels
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The one you highlighted is fine, but it's expensive. I normally buy the cheapest whey powder deemed safe for human consumption. It hasn't failed me yet. But then again, I'm not drinking it for the taste.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I prefer Syntrax Nectar powder. It's whey protein isolates with no other junk. It does have sucralose to add some sweetness, but no carbs or fats. It's the protein powder recommended by bariatric surgeons & dietitians. You can buy it at the Vitamin Shoppe, but you can order it much cheaper at My Bariatric Pantry (website below). I use the chocolate flavor to make chocolate cherry smoothie: just add fat free greek yogurt, milk & frozen cherries. The Caribbean Cooler flavor is good just mixed with water & some Dasani Pineapple Coconut Water Enhancer.

http://www.mybariatricpantry.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=nectar&Submit=Search
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i use Optimum Nutrition (ON). flavour is pretty good and mixes well in a shaker. also has tons of flavours, but in aus or nz, probably wont have many. probably like me where i am, only double choc or vanilla.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html?zenid=0aaee02d9dea2601d18231765b03113d
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition is one of the most popular brands, and I have been very happy with their gold standard 100% whey. I love the extreme milk chocolate flavor.

What this fine gentlemen said, except I'm obsessed with cookies and cream. YUM