Protein Powder Help Please

Options
Hi, also posted in fitness :)

Can anyone help me with choosing some protein powder for post workouts?

I've spotted this one and was wondering if it is any good?

http://www.supplements.co.nz/supplements-on-sale/protein-powders/14-whey-protein-isolate-wpi/allmax-isoflex-2lb?keyword=peanut

I don't really know anything about protein powder but I would like lower cal, lower carb, higher protein obviously and this one seems to hit all of those?

Replies

• BRolandoRN
    BRolandoRN Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi. I have had gastric bypass and so protein powders are a huge topic of discussion. The one most in the practice I went to uses Unjury, which is only available online. It has approximately 30 g of protein in each shake and comes a variety of flavors, including unflavored so you can add it to drinks or other favorite foods to boost the protein content. I believe it is just www.unjury.com. You can get a sample package with the different flavors for fairly cheap to try.

Hope that helps! Visalus is also another option that tastes good.

Good luck!

BRolandoRN
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Do you need protein powder? You could just get your protein through food like egg whites are 100% protein.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    For post lifting workout I have a whey isolate - "Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey". An isolate doesn't have added sugars; it's just whey.

Whey digests quickly so it's good as a post workout protein shake.

There is debate about whether you need a quick absorbing shake after workouts. Certainly if you have enough protein from your diet it won't be a big deal if you don't have a shake after working out.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I like Designer Whey - its only 100 cals per scoop, has 18 g of protein, 2 grams of fat and 6 grams of carbs. I like the chocolate varieties best.
  • enwethiel
    enwethiel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can't do soy so I really like Designer Whey's French Vanilla Protein Powder. I use it in my morning smoothies and it is nice, the flavor isn't too overpowering. I know they have chocolate and strawberry too but I have no idea how they taste. Good luck - some of the stuff out there is really nasty!
  • tryskinni
    tryskinni Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I buy the whey at Trader Joe's. For smoothies, about half the time I use cottage cheese for protein. Feels more natural than the powder.
  • Datahorde
    Datahorde Posts: 154
    Options
    Going for a Whey protein after your workout is best. Try to get most of your protein intake from real foods (eggs, fish, chicken, beef).
    BB.com has great articles: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/protein.htm
  • frantim528
    frantim528 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Also, are you talking about protein powder or a meal replacement shake. Whey protein isolate is pretty much the purest form you are going to get. But it is just protein and usually gets mixed with something else. there are many "shake" powders that you can get. I use "primal fuel" which is a little lower in carbs and then add the protein isolate to it to boost my protein intake. You could eat egg whites for protein but a shake has a balanced vitamin and mineral content as well as the extra protein.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    For post lifting workout I have a whey isolate - "Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey". An isolate doesn't have added sugars; it's just whey.

This is one of the more poplular brands, tastes good, and is affordable. The one you listed is $80 for a small 2Lb tub; that is REALLY overpriced. Not even Muscletech's overpriced crap costs that much. If you really wanted a protein for just postworkout, you could get hydrolyzed and it would still be cheaper. The easiest way to explain the difference between an Isolate whey and hydrolyzed is that the latter will digest a lot faster. But due to its faster digestion rate, your body will need another protien meal sooner than with whey isolate. Isolate whey is the one you find most common and can be used in most any occasion. Digests fast and lasts a decent amount of time; it's the "jack of all trades" protein.

As one of the other posters mentioned, whether you even need a lot of protein depends on your goals. But even supplementing with a little is ideal for weight loss while mainting lean muscle.
  • madisons_mummy
    madisons_mummy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

I can't hit my protein goals with what I eat (also need to work on this) and I'm trying to build muscle whilst losing fat doing the 5x5 SL program.

Also love choc peanut butter :D
  • amirsoian
    amirsoian Posts: 1
    Options
    I work out at a boxing training center and my trainer recommended the following:

Allmax Iso Flex Protein

It comes in chocolate peanut butter (and a variety of other flavors), which tastes pretty good when mixed with only water. Personally, I'm not a fan of the vanilla and stick to chocolate. Additionally, for weight loss it seems pretty ideal. It has 27g of protein, 0.5g fat, and about 120 calories per scoop. It is whey isolate protein so it should absorb quickly for a post workout drink, although the people at my gym take it before the workout (not sure why?). The cost is on average $45 for a tub, so it can be on the pricy side.

The only problem I see is that the carbs are really low, almost non-existent, and I have mixed feelings on if this would be ideal for someone who is trying to build a lot of muscle.

I'm pretty new to weight loss though, so anyone else please chime in if you've used this product.
  • I like BSN syntha 6 protein, it tastes amazing, has 6 grams of fiber in each serving, and thats enough for me. You don't need a protein powder, but whey protein is probably the best source of protein out there
  • madisons_mummy
    madisons_mummy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I work out at a boxing training center and my trainer recommended the following:

Allmax Iso Flex Protein

It comes in chocolate peanut butter (and a variety of other flavors), which tastes pretty good when mixed with only water. Personally, I'm not a fan of the vanilla and stick to chocolate. Additionally, for weight loss it seems pretty ideal. It has 27g of protein, 0.5g fat, and about 120 calories per scoop. It is whey isolate protein so it should absorb quickly for a post workout drink, although the people at my gym take it before the workout (not sure why?). The cost is on average $45 for a tub, so it can be on the pricy side.

The only problem I see is that the carbs are really low, almost non-existent, and I have mixed feelings on if this would be ideal for someone who is trying to build a lot of muscle.

I'm pretty new to weight loss though, so anyone else please chime in if you've used this product.

It sounds all good to me :) It has the most protein content I've seen (most range from 20-25), I'm not worried about the carb content as I eat enough carbs as it is :blushing: that's why I'm looking for lower carb.

Anyone with any info on this brand would be very appreciated :bigsmile:
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Right now Im having Isopure Dutch Chocolate for breakfast.2 scoops hv 220 cals and 50g of protein
  • lorrm
    lorrm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use Sunwarrior Raw Vegan Protein - it's made from rice protein (soy free- dairy free) - costs $42 for 1kg from iherb
    I don't do very well on dairy products, the couple of whey proteins i've tried make me feel sick.

1 scoop (21g)
    Calories - 80
    Carbs - 4g
    Protein - 16g

i usually use it as PWO, but sometimes have a scoop in the eve to help make up my protein amts.