Where are my c-section mommies at!? Help!!

Options
charlay
charlay Posts: 12 Member
Have had two c/s. One in Jan of 09 and one in June of 11. I for the life of me have no ab muscles.

So what did you do to get them back!?! I need to start from the ground up! Right now I've been doing Russian Twists, basic crunches, bicycle crunches, legs/pelvic lifts and planks. What do you have that I could add!?

Replies

• YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Wish there was some advice I could give you. I had a hernia repair in high school that I later ripped which tore my muscles apart and got worse when I tried to have my son. Yeah C-section after 43 hours. I work out in a gym just do the machines they have. I'm not able to do anything else. Good luck You seem to be on the right track
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 c-sections...

first, make sure your abs muscles have gone back together again before doing regular abs exercises. Your doc or midwife should be able to do this, it's sometimes called the "rec check" - this article explains it and why it's necessary http://jacquelinehooton.co.uk/tag/the-rec-check/ you can do this test yourself, although it's better to get a doctor or midwife to do it

if your abs muscles are still separated, then doing the wrong kinds of exercises can cause back problems and other problems. There are a number of exercises you can do to make the abs go back together again

once you're sure that your abs are back where they should be, then regular abdominal exercises are fine, but my advice would be to do whole body exercises, not just the abs. Your body is a machine where everything is designed to work together... exercising just one muscle group and ignoring the rest of your body is going to create muscular imbalances, and also, you can't spot-burn fat... that comes off from everywhere from a calorie deficit.

To get a fit toned body (including your abs) do a full body workout. Personally I'm currently doing stronglifts 5x5 and other heavy lifting (well currently just doing stronglifts but before that I was doing other heavy lifting routines).
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I agree with doing a full body workout - I've been doing strength and weight training with a variety of exercises, but the two that I think have really helped out my abs (granted, this is not a scientific assessment!) are planks and push-ups.
  • charlay
    charlay Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. Everything is healed properly. I'm involved in the Maternal Health care world (a doula working on becoming a midwife) and it is all like it is supposed to be down there. It's just lack of muscle. But I was reading something today and I might have been wrong. I have muscle, just not the defined outer ones. I love planks and they seem to make me "feel the burn" for days after.
  • HandfulMama
    Options
    I am so following this thread! My c-section baby is 6 years old, and I still haven't gotten my belly back. (Granted, I've had two more babies since then, but still...) Is it even possible?
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It may never ever look "toned" again, but you should be able to rebuild the muscle strength correct? Just curious, I've never been pregnant, but I'd be interested in the effects of a c-section.
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bumping to follow. I've had 3!
  • maecrocker
    maecrocker Posts: 56
    Options
    Had a c-section 26 years ago. Hopefully they have improved! Anyway, it takes a little longer but my abs did come back. Although my lower abs are not as defined as my uppers. I used to refer to the site where the scar is as the "fat part of my belly." Just keep working but don't focus just on that so overall body.
  • NSMustanggirl
    NSMustanggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've had 2, 9 and 11 years ago! Things are coming along nicely with the abs - I have a program at the gym that I follow that includes a lot of Core work so I'm sure that helped! I am almost back to my pre-baby stomach! SO, it is possible!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 c-sections- 1998 and 2009. My baby pooch is very apparent, I am on my 3rd month of Jillian michaels. I just keep hoping eventually it goes away, but if it doesn't, I have 2 healthy children :)
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I had two myself,one 2and half years ago,the other 8 months ago,abs came back after my second with p90x,then with my last one I did a round of insanity and that started an overall "tight" appearance on my body. I'm going to do a few more rounds with both and hopefully add in some lifting.
    My stomach isn't the same this time around,more work needed to have it the way it was almost three years ago with my first c section. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
    I wish you luck,don't give up. Keep pushing through and all the best to you in your journey :)
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to do anything, my c section got infected and I'm 3 months pp and still have a hole that has to be packed : / (two actually now because it opened up in another spot). I'm so scared to do any exercise so all i can do is walk.
  • leopardjunkie
    leopardjunkie Posts: 149
    Options
    I had a c/s and my "rec check" shows that mine muscles are separated significantly. I would love if anyone has links for exercises to close them up :) I have the tupler book :( but looking for stuff that I can incorporate at the gym...
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 sections and I have a definite case of diastasis recti, separation of the ab muscles. The following is one of my favorite posts about it. It talks about exercises etc. Diastasis doesnt actually occur from the surgeries though, just pregnancy can do it, or other..... I do feel I make progress with all the ideas from the above posts (heavy lifting etc) I dont feel like it is a c section issue per se, but the pregnancies. Although having like 7 layers of muscle cut through 3 times couldnt have helped! :)
    You can also Google diastasis recti to learn more about how to test for it....

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=41185
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    had one almost 2 years ago. Finally have gotten somewhat of a decent belly back. cardio seemed to help the most but ab work was needed as well. Better not need another one.........lol