Is there such a thing as too much fruit?

Options
Mmmmona
Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
My friend (who just knows EVERYTHING there is to know about ANYTHING) has told me that having too much fruit can cause diabetes. I'm not so sure I can believe this and I just thought I would get a concensus of what everyone else thinks.

For example, I eat about 4 - 8 cups of fruit a day. Sometimes less, sometimes more, but tht is the average.

So is sugar from fruit a bad thing?

Replies

• LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    Too much sugar isn't good, be it through fruit or processed food. It depends on the fruit though - different kinds have different sugar & fiber levels. If you're eating 8 cups of berries, that's a much lower glycemic index than 8 cups of bananas and dried fruit.

You might consider eating only 4 cups of fruit and replacing the rest with veggies or savory fruits (Tomatoes, for example) if you're concerned about too much sugar.
  • Too much of anything isn't good.

Although the case with diabetes really isn't valid. Fruits are high in fiber and fiber regulates blood glucose and insulin
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Someone reply fast, because I'm about to destroy this watermelon...
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The simple reply to this is every thing in moderation...but 8 cups???

8 cups of fruit has about 100- 400 grams of sugar depending on the type of fruit you pick and its gylcemic index....
    see http://www.sugarstacks.com/fruits.htm

Why would you eat over 100 grams of sugar?

Google it and you will find that YES excessive fructose can and does affect the liver and the pancreas which will lead to insulin resistance and in the end diabetes...

2 to 3 cups yes...8 cups? no...

A good read about the issue is Bernstein's Diabetes Solution - he addresses the fruit issue in detail
  • jgirlredzz
    jgirlredzz Posts: 21
    Options
    From wiki answers "can eating too much fruit cause diabetes?"

Eating any food does not cause diabetes. Diabetes is a result of complex interplay between ones genes, immune status, which is also partially genetic, inter-current infection, in some cases, and in most cases obesity. Getting fat brings out the latent tendency if it is there. So overeating any food can contribute. Technically most fruits are off the hook, however, as their principal sugar is fructose, not glucose, which is the sugar which is the culprit in diabetes.

Tell your friend that! And good luck.

If you are able to meet your fitness goals with that much fruit in your diet, then good on you and keep it up!
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. a good place to start is myplate.gov
  • Maddius
    Maddius Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what I did 10 years ago, and it worked.

I restricted myself to zero canned goods unless it was tuna or salmon, lots of salad etc. But the main one that I had unrestricted was fruit and peanuts in the shell (not together). I ate a LOT of fruit, I'd pretty much make up monster fruit salads and that'd be lunch and innumerable snacks. My fruit salads generally consisted of 1 or 2 apples, an orange, peach, nectarines a banana and berries, whatever was in season. The guys at my Station used to tell me I was losing weight because of the time it'd take to prepare it lol.

A lot of folk on here will tell you too much fruit isn't wise, and to be honest I believe they have merit, this time I'm restricting myself to 1 or 2 pieces these days, as I'm looking not just to lose, but achieve the right balance, that's sustainable.

But at the time eating a lot of fruit did work for me, and I did lose 20 kgs in total and I'm still trying to figure out how that happened.

Good Luck
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you'd probably get stomach pains and diarrhea from too much whole fruit before diabetes. Of course, fruit juice is another story...
  • Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    yeah, its not fair... I eat an apple and log it in my food diary and it puts me over my sugar limit. Ugh, even fruit is bad for you! Things they never taught us in school.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    From wiki answers "can eating too much fruit cause diabetes?"

I personally would not trust medical advice from a wikki...

Dr Bernstein is actually a board certified doctor who has Type 1 diabetes and went back to med school in his later years at his own expense to prove to the medical world that carbs, like fruit play more of a role in diabetes creation AND control than what anyone at the time was willing to admit. All carbs, including fruit raise blood sugar and that is not good for a person who has diabetes or a person who is clinically over weight which is now considered "pre-diabetic".

Because of Bernstein's research and determination today a low carb diet (under a 40-100 carbs) is now #1 protocol that is advised to control diabetes and pre-diabetes (obesity). Also many are finding that adhering to a strict low carb diet (under 50 carbs) nearly ALWAYS reverses Type 2 Diabetes. In order to achieve that reducing your fruit intake is a must at first and then it can be increased but only by balancing it with both protein and fat and staying in a macro balance and a calorie target. And for Bernstein keeping your calories in check is as important as eating low carb.

For more info see his website http://www.diabetes-book.com/index.shtml

Yes there are all kinds of medical groups that argue with him that the diet is not sustainable in the long run, but regardless it is the cure to type 2. The medical profession is not without its own bias. The medical world enjoys getting kick backs from pharma companies and as long as people have diabetes they will need insulin and medications to control their blood sugar.

That is money in the bank for both doctors and pharma companies so why would any of them tell you to reduce carbs (ie fruit) if it will take away from their revenue source???

Fruit in moderation is fine. It is low calorie and many fruits are low on the Glycemic Index and high in fiber. But too much and it is just as bad as eating too much pasta or potatoes. It will spike your blood sugar and that done repeatedly over time damages the liver and the pancreas leading to both diabetes and fatty liver.
  • fitshaper
    fitshaper Posts: 5
    Options
    I think it's not. One of the healthiest foods is veggies and fruits.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you'd probably get stomach pains and diarrhea from too much whole fruit before diabetes.

My first thought!
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    When fruitbats, hummingbirds and turtles start developing diabetes...maybe I will take this seriously. Eating fruit is not bad for you. Eating the fructose when it is not in the form of a fruit is bad (i.e. juice, table sugar, HFCS). The fiber, starch, minerals and nutrients in the skin/flesh of the fruit is what makes your liver do less of the work of breaking down fructose. The juice, processed sugar makes your liver work to process 100% of the fructose which in turn gets stored into fat. For a more scientific, fact sexy overview, check out this lecture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • dietcokeg
    dietcokeg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating fruit in Moderation as everyone above has said - just make sure it fits into your calories and and you don't go crazy over on sugar - it's ok to be over on sugar as the amount set is too low but don't go over by hundreds and hundreds that is never good.

Another thing my trainer told me is to not eat fruit after 2pm - something i struggle to listen to. he said from morning till about 2pm fuel your body with fruit as it will crave the sugar and it will keep you going - after that your body wants protein and carbs. he also said if you eat fruits at night your body will convert it to fat. I usually do have a fruit at night it keeps the sugar cravings at bay and i'd rather snack on a fruit then on a bar or cereal but i think what he said is definitely interesting.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It won't CAUSE diabetes. If you don't have diabetes, then it's not a problem.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    My dumb friend (who doesn't know ANYTHING about ANYTHING) has told me that having too much fruit can cause diabetes.
    Fixed it for you.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Define "A Lot".
    In a typical day I eat 1-2 bananas, a sandwich baggie of grapes, strawberries, and an apple. Throw in the occasional orange or blue berries or raspberries when things are in season.
  • TwoStrokeTart
    TwoStrokeTart Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some of it will depend on you as a person and how you metabolise the sugars in the fruit, but I would echo others in that too much of anything isn't going to be great for you. Fruit is high in sugar and that is going to cause a spike in your system though. It maybe better to take a slightly more balanced approach and maybe swap some of the fruit for some raw veggies (carrot or celery for example). It's also a bit difficult to say if you are eating too much when we don't know what else you are eating, so we can can see if your diet is balanced, which is the main thing.
  • xxTracey
    xxTracey Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you go over ur carb and sugar goal for today but purely on fruit and veg does that make it okay? I'm usually over them both before i've even had dinner and its all fruit and veg ive ate :( xx