Finally have a kitchen, but need help!!

Options
Chloeshade
Chloeshade Posts: 15 Member
I am a college student and am on summer break. I have a kitchen for the summer (yay!!) and was really looking forward to finally cooking my own food, but I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

The water for my noodles wouldn't boil, it only simmered and finally after thirty minutes I gave up and just cooked it that way. A little bit ago I tried to do the same with hardboiled eggs. I left them in for about forty-five minutes and then when I took them out they weren't even cooked halfway through!

I had the stovetop set to its highest setting. Am I doing something horribly wrong or am I just not being patient enough with the water?

Replies

• wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    No, your stove top is clearly broken. Call your landlord, or if you're subleasing call the subleasee's landlord (you'd be the subleasor legally) A non functioning stove is dangerous, and probably covered under your state's leasing laws. The landlord must keep the apartment, or home in order, unless otherwise stated in the lease that you are responsible for household repairs, which is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY! And if it is true y'all shoulda read your lease agreement, because that is seriously unwise.

But on another note, water does not take more than 10 minutes to boil. Otherwise you just don't know how to use a stove, which I seriously doubt.
    Hope that helps, and don't be afraid to nag the landlord if they procrastinate repairs. Sometimes college landlords are jerks, but you need to learn to stand up for yourself and your tenant rights. :D
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Oh and with college housing, there are often the coil type stoves, if this is true in your case, sometimes all you have to do is push the coil all the way back into the socket. (Obviously the stove should be off first.) The stove when turned on again, will then have coils that function. I've had to fiddle with coils on all of my college stoves. That'd make it 5 or 6 of them. (I moved alot.)
  • Chloeshade
    Chloeshade Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I don't have a landlord because I'm living on campus still, just in non-freshman housing. I will check to see if there is a coil and if I can't get it to work I will complain to the housing desk. I haven't had very much experience cooking at all, so I wasn't sure if it was the stove or just me...thanks very much again!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What kind of pot are you using? One of my sets of pots is so thick and heavy it's nearly impossible to boil water in them. It's seriously ridiculous. They weigh a ton too. I ended up with them because my dad hated them so he gave them to my grandma who left them with me when she moved. Gee thanks.

But if you're using normal pots then yeah - definitely check the stove.
  • fitshaper
    fitshaper Posts: 5
    Options
    There's something wrong with your stove and check it to the technician.