Good Morning from the UK, Question about belly loss

Options
Hi Everyone,
My name is kev ive been using this app for a few weeks and its truely great. it has been such a useful guide to lose weight.
Before I started losing weight I was 15 Stone, I am now around 12st 5 or around 81kg.

Only thing thats bugging me that no matter how careful I am with my diet and exercise it is taking forever to lose the belly and what I would call love handles. Its really frustrating, I now fit into Large T Shirts, Nearly into UK size 34 Jeans and Large Underwear instead of XL. But my body still looks out of proportion and I suffer with self confedience issues anyway.
I want to be able to go topless at the beach etc

My Ultimate aim is to get to 65kg.

Any help is greatly appriciated

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    my motto is the 1st place you gained will be the last you lose...sorry!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm a couple of pounds behind you on a similar journey. Most of the belly is still there but it is being eaten into from the sides.

Looks like it'll be the last to go.
  • DopeyDudleyDursley
    Options
    Congrats on the progress so far! The one main thing I have always done if I am stuck in a plateau for weight loss is essentially switch things up. Like your exercise routine and/or what is called zig-zagging calories. Like eating 1800 one day and 2000 the next and then 1600 the next day, keeps your body guessing and has been proven to help speed up metabolism. There is no way to particularly target love handles, you just have to lose body fat and those handles will be less noticeable in time. If you are more feeling like your stomach tends to stick out though (aka. bloating) I would recommend berries, pineapple, green tea, cucumber and asparagus as these foods will help get rid of bloat and can potentially help with self confidence before heading out to the beach. Also remember no one is 100% content with how they look, stressing only makes things worse, such as slowing metabolism, weight loss etc.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    As a man belly fat will go fast. A continual workout regime, clean diet as possible and small as possible deficit, will do
    the trick over time :)
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Honestly my belly was the first thing I got when I originally gained my weight so it will annoyingly be the last to go. It pretty much works that way for everyone. First a lot of the fat around your organs goes away then whatever you gained last to what you gained first. In 34lbs I have lost I think I've lost about 2 or 3" on my belly so it's still way out of proportion everything else. Just need to work hard and get to my goal weight if I want the tummy gone once and for all.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    keep on going it will go eventually

lifting weights really helps to change how your body looks, rather than just dieting to end up being a smaller version of the same shape. This plus eating less than you burn off really helps to get rid of the stubborn fat and really change how you look.
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Same here, I'm really noticing fat loss and definition in my limbs but I can't get rid of the Homer Simpson gut! Just stick with it, it will come in time.

Looking at some high intensity interval training should speed up your fat loss all over.
  • mounty89
    mounty89 Posts: 41
    Options
    keep on going it will go eventually

lifting weights really helps to change how your body looks, rather than just dieting to end up being a smaller version of the same shape. This plus eating less than you burn off really helps to get rid of the stubborn fat and really change how you look.

Pretty much this. When i first lost my weight it was the belly that took ages to reduce and when it did i just looked a bit sickly as i had nowhere near enough muscle mass. Get into a good lifting routine and that'll help.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Very similar situation to me.
    Am 78kg down from 104kg.

I'm stuck between 32 and 34 inch jeans, and am waiting for the rest of my belly to melt off before i can get into the selection of 32" jeans i've bought.

How tall are you? I'm 5' 10" and not looking to go below 75kg... but i am aiming for 12% bodyfat.
  • chrisa8170
    chrisa8170 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Hi the_slug & welcome,

Throughout my weight loss I have seen the body shape change and now just left with the remnants of the spare tyre / love handles. I still have about a stone ot two to shift but i think it is generally the last area to go.

Looks like you have made good progress, you may want to consider some work to work on muscle mass / tone (personal choice), but I think only steady perserverance will shed that stubborn fat.

My biggest worry is my belly and speaking to some other major weight loosers the skin shrinks back steadily over time as long as the weight loss is not too rapid, I have seen some major changes and those changes have driven me on to shift the stubborn bits that are left.

Good Luck with the quest and remember, you CAN do it :happy:
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Same as mentioned, it's the hardest and most time consuming thing to get rid of. Focus on working out and eating right, and the belly will go. It'll be a bit like a watched kettle if you keep looking for changes.

Also, is 65kg a little too light? I'm a 5'5" female and I'm looking to hit between 65-67kg.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Do not neglect doing lower ab exercises, they will help, at the end of the day you have done a great job, you will lose it just unfortunately, it always seems to be the last bit to go, I am going on the same path, most of my weight is hips, bum and tum, so I feel for you and wish you well
  • the_slug1984
    Options
    Thank you for all your replys. I will continue the hard work. I really am working hard, trying to trick my body as well to obtain maximum weight loss.

65kg is just over 10 stone, Im 5ft 8 and to be honest I thought 82kg would be enough but its not. Im doing my best to try and tone as well.
  • DopeyDudleyDursley
    Options
    Thank you for all your replys. I will continue the hard work. I really am working hard, trying to trick my body as well to obtain maximum weight loss.

65kg is just over 10 stone, Im 5ft 8 and to be honest I thought 82kg would be enough but its not. Im doing my best to try and tone as well.

I am a little under 65 kg and around 5 ft 9 so if you got any particular questions, let me know. Seeing you are from the UK all I can say is stay away from Doner Kebab. In one term in Manchester, I put on about half a stone in Cider and Kebabs alone haha.
  • the_slug1984
    Options
    Just been weighed. 81kg.... Get in!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce. I think that your target weight is a little too low, however. I see this happen a lot; people don't get the body they want through dieting so they lower their weight goal, when in reality you aren't changing your body shape at all, just the size of it.

It sounds like it's just the proportions you aren't happy with, not what it says on the scale. I'd seriously recommend ditching the scales and looking into a lifting routine. You will get the body you want long before you get to the weight you want.