Basic overnight oatmeal

spaghetti93
spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
I've been making this for lunch the past few days and it keeps me full for hours, so I thought I'd share. It's a good recipe if you want oatmeal around this time of year when the weather is warmer.

1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup any milk (I use blue diamond unsweetened plain almond)
1/4 cup yogurt yogurt (I use plain chobani)
4 tsp chia seeds

Mix everything together well the night before planning on eating. Put it in the fridge to let it set overnight.
You may decrease or increase milk an yogurt if you want it to be runnier or thicker. You're also welcome to add more chia seeds or remove them completely.
I you hate the gel feel chia seeds have this is still worth a try. I find that the seeds blend in with the texture of the oats. You also don't have to use rolled oats, I'm sure quick oats, bran, and other grains will work great too. This is just the basic recipe and is pretty bland. You can add whatever you like- here are a few suggestions:

-Peanut butter, banana, and honey

-Apples and cinnamon

-Mixed berries

-Mango, pineapple, and coconut milk

Play around and find the ratios of different ingredients that you like :)

Nutrition information (just the basic recipe, my version, no toppings):

295 cal
11.7 g fat
1.0 g saturated fat
210 mg sodium
38.2 g carbohydrates
11.7 g fiber
3.2 g sugar
16.7 g protein

Replies

• DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    I agree, it's good. This is a recipe from 'theyummylife.com' and I've been using it for about 6 months now. It's is one of my staple breakfasts.

However, I am dairy intolerant so I don't use milk or yogurt. I use a 1/3 cup of oats and then use rice milk. One 1/3 cup plus another half of a1/3 cup measure of rice milk is about enough if adding two teaspoons of chia seeds to soak it up.

I also add a teaspoon of agave syrup to sweeten it a bit.

The basic calorie intake for the above version of the recipe is 206 calories.

My favourite 'add' flavours are:

cherry infused raisins and almond extract - makes it taste like a cherry Bakewell tart.

a teaspoon of cocoa powder and some chocolate extract - chocolate rice milk makes it even more chocolatey!

a heaped teaspoon (20g) of almond butter and a sliced banana - very filling

pureed apple and cinnamon - reminds me of apple pie

a plain one with some vanilla extract and chopped mixed fruit, like grapes,nectarine etc is also good.

It is such a versatile idea. I've sometimes wondered if it is worth trying with other grains or seeds like quinoa but never tried it.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    cherry infused raisins and almond extract - makes it taste like a cherry Bakewell tart.

Where do you find cherry infused raisins? I've never even heard of them, but they sound yummy.
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member

Where do you find cherry infused raisins? I've never even heard of them, but they sound yummy.

They are made by the Nakd company. I only seem to be able to find them in the bakery section in WholeFoods. I'm in Scotland, UK.

The Nakd brand make lots of healthy snacks with nothing articfical in them. Generally just smooshed up fruit and nuts. Worth checking them out if you've not come across them. In fact if you google them you'll find them on Amazon.

PS As well as cherry they do lemon, lime, orange and pineapple flavours. I've tried the lemon and lime ones in the oatmeal too but they tasted a bit odd, but the orange raisins went quite well with the cocoa version.
  • beanmi73
    beanmi73 Posts: 9 Member
    Oooo, thanks for this! My daughter was looking for just this kind of recipe! I guess we'll have to put it together tonight, it's a much better on-the-go breakfast than her norm.
  • Pink4sur
    Pink4sur Posts: 1
    I have also used this recipe from "theyummylife.com " they call it refrigerator oatmeal. They have some wonderful variations on there to chose from. My fav so far are apple cinnamon and pineapple coconut! They taste like dessert and super easy to make .