Hi looking for friends with underactive thyroid

Options
Agatha66
Agatha66 Posts: 13 Member
Hi I'm 5ft 8inches tall, currently 138 lb, 46 year old with an underactive thyroid. having suddenly put on a shed load of weight, and suffering back/ joint pain a trip to doctor diagnosed a very underactive thyroid! That wasn't what I expected. 6 month later I have my weight back under control but would like to meet friends and share encouragement with others in similar situation, to keep me going and stay positive, fit and at a good weight. : )

Replies

• udderlyfantastic
    udderlyfantastic Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started having trouble with weight gain, tiredness and depression just after I had my daughter in 1984. Despite being sent to the thyroid clinic they decided that my blood test did not quite reflect that my thyroid condition needed any treatment. 10 years later, with a 10 stone weight gain and the inability to stay awake for more than a couple of hours, my doctor finally reluctantly decided to treat me with a miniscule 25mg dose of Levothyroxine. Within months my thyroid gland decided it had finally had enough and now on 175mgs of Levothyroxine I can actually manage to keep my eyes open through the day. Unfortunately for me, no sooner did i get my thyroid sorted than I developed other health issues which affected my mobility. This meant I gained even more weight despite the thyroid treatment. Lately though, I realised that I have a very unhealthy relationship with food, using it as a crutch to get me through life and deal with my problems. I decided that enough is enough and joined MFP . I have a lot of weight to lose but I am determined to succeed. If you want to add me as a friend I would be more than happy to help with support in your campaign. Please feel free to message me at anytime and hopefully we will both succeed in our quest. Good luck x
  • parkgirl1
    parkgirl1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    hello like you both i am also have a under active thyroid. I am on meds from the doctor at 50mg. I am not sure if it holds be back from weight loss but ???? pls feel free to add me Row xx
  • hollyc_612
    hollyc_612 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wish you all loads of luck. I have to get tested for an underactive thyroid once a year as my levels are a bit low and it runs in my family. My mum has an underactive thyroid and managed to lose 3 stone with weight watchers a few years ago and has maintained her weight since. She said her weight loss was slower than others but she managed to stick with it. She always said even if it was only half a pound a week it would soon add up!x
  • Agatha66
    Agatha66 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, think that now I know why I felt the way I did, tried and achy, and I now have tablets, I am able to accept that I need to put the work into my health. I read so much about people not being able to loose weight but I have managed to stop the increase and drop a few pounds.
  • frenchfancy123
    frenchfancy123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    ive had hypothyroidism since birth. add me if you want :)
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hashimoto's Disease here - diagnosed back in 2005.
    As long as your thyroid is under control through medication, you should have no trouble dropping the weight using your TDEE minus 20%

I'm under control with a TSH of around 1.5 right now and the weight is flying off!

Good luck!
  • twinkfran
    twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Me too.

Diagnosed Hoshmoto about six months ago when I went to the drs saying I exercise like crazy, eat super healthy and keep putting weight on.

Currently on 75mgs but still trying to get the right rate. Blood test next week to see – I think its not right as I still have symptoms and struggling to lose but we’ll see what the dr says. I had put on 15 kgs but lost 5kgs so 10kgs to go.

It seems to have been more than a struggle than it should be to lose weight but maybe age is also a factor (37) and also it seems I have a mild lactose intolerance which I hadn't known about

But it is coming off – slowly…
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    hiya. Í was diagnosed in 2008 and i've lost 25kg once before since then, and currently 16kg down into re-losing it - put it back on for non thyroid reasons.

32, and my issue is usually sky high TSH to create barely normal T3

Trudi
  • Moxylein
    Moxylein Posts: 52
    Options
    As long as your thyroid is under control through medication, you should have no trouble dropping the weight using your TDEE minus 20%

I'm under control with a TSH of around 1.5 right now and the weight is flying off!

Good luck!

I wish it was that easy for me. I've got Hashimoto's as well and am on medication, but have to fight every pound.
    It is a slow journey, but it is definitely possible!
    Good luck!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I wish it was that easy for me. I've got Hashimoto's as well and am on medication, but have to fight every pound.
    It is a slow journey, but it is definitely possible!
    Good luck!

i find that i lose more steadily because my metabolism is a hell of a lot happier when i take herbal kelp pills as well as my levo - might be worth a try?
  • Moxylein
    Moxylein Posts: 52
    Options

i find that i lose more steadily because my metabolism is a hell of a lot happier when i take herbal kelp pills as well as my levo - might be worth a try?

Wouldn't all the iodine in the kelp boost your thyroid infection? My endo specifically told me to stay off everything loaded with iodine.