Spin class :(

Options
I once did a spin class with a friend a year ago and i died, absolutely killed and i never went back to the gym again. I lost weight on my own just eating healthy but now i have put 6kg back on. This same friend has suggested i go to night classes again with her since i now have a license.

I was just wondering how long is takes / how many sessions to get better at this class? i couldn't even stand up on the bike haha. And if there are any tips as to make this less painful? How fast did you see results from doing spin classes? Does this hurt your knees?

etc etc

Replies

• Ressie1
    Ressie1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love spin but I understand what you mean. I invited my much smaller sister (shes about 120 pounds) to a spin class. After class she said you tried to kill me I am never coming back haha... I lost a great deal of weight doing spin. About 30 pounds in 3-4 months. I had to stop because I have a torn meniscus (not from spin). In my case the only thing that never went away for me was that darn bike seat hurting my butt. I even bought a silicone bike seat and it still didn't help. I would deal with it though cause the weight was falling off and I could feel myself becoming stronger. I say try it again.. It does take some time to get used to the standing, sitting etc. Try to go a couple of days a week for a month to see if you get used to it. Just take your time and do what you can.
  • Chriztii
    Chriztii Posts: 94
    Options
    Hahaha i am glad i am not the only one who died from doing a spin class :P. Thanks for the reply I'll be doing a spin class every Tuesday evening and a different type of class on the Wednesday evening while doing some treadmill during the other days, Hopefully that's enough for my body to grow stronger. At least i know i have something to look forward to / gain :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The first session will hurt, the second will make a tiny improvement and then it's onwards and upwards!! It's a great cardio workout. I used a spinning bike over the winter for training and I've seen a huge improvement in my fitness and outdoor cycling.

Not a bad idea to get some time on the bike by yourself as it's too easy to feel you have to keep up with the rest of the class rather than progress at your own pace.

Do get someone to help you setup the bike for you - loads of people have the saddle far too low . The instructor should be able to help you or have a look at the setup guide on www.spinning.com

Cycling shorts are a good idea.

My knees are a mess but spinning and cycling only helps them, strong quads tend to help most knee issues.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I passed the spin class on my way out of Zumba and thought that looked scary hard - then my sister told me that was the cool down:noway: . Why not try some ordinary cycle first to get your legs stronger?
  • Chriztii
    Chriztii Posts: 94
    Options
    I passed the spin class on my way out of Zumba and thought that looked scary hard - then my sister told me that was the cool down:noway: . Why not try some ordinary cycle first to get your legs stronger?

Hahaha that's funny because that's exactly what happened to me!!
    The first session will hurt, the second will make a tiny improvement and then it's onwards and upwards!! It's a great cardio workout. I used a spinning bike over the winter for training and I've seen a huge improvement in my fitness and outdoor cycling.

Not a bad idea to get some time on the bike by yourself as it's too easy to feel you have to keep up with the rest of the class rather than progress at your own pace.

Do get someone to help you setup the bike for you - loads of people have the saddle far too low . The instructor should be able to help you or have a look at the setup guide on www.spinning.com

Cycling shorts are a good idea.

My knees are a mess but spinning and cycling only helps them, strong quads tend to help most knee issues.

Yeah i am only young but i still have knee pains when using an exercise bike at home that's why i stopped, i assumed it was from having weak knees. I'll make sure i set the bike up properly when i do the class i don't want to do any real damage
  • spongebex
    spongebex Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The first time I went to spin I couldn't down properly for three days! I received the advice of turning up the resistance a little bit so more of the weight is going through your thighs rather than 'sitting' and it worked - the next class!

Give it a go and let us know how you get on!
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I tried my 1st spinning class & 'announced' never again!! It killed my knees & I thought I would pass out :noway:
    6-8months later....
    I tried my 2nd spinning class & 'announced' never again!! It killed my knees & I thought I would pass out :noway:
    2-3 months later...
    I tried my 3rd spinning class ... got my seat & handle bar height sorted ...I didn't come out of the saddle once & barely touched the 'resistance'

4 months on I do 2 classes a week minimum (along with other classes & running)

My knees no longer give me any problems at all
    I keep up with the class sitting & standing & the resistance whenever instructed too
    I have noticed a massive improvement in a very short time & even my butt is getting used to it too !!!

Go, Conquer & enjoy !!!
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I tried my 1st spinning class & 'announced' never again!! It killed my knees & I thought I would pass out :noway:
    6-8months later....
    I tried my 2nd spinning class & 'announced' never again!! It killed my knees & I thought I would pass out :noway:
    2-3 months later...
    I tried my 3rd spinning class ... got my seat & handle bar height sorted ...I didn't come out of the saddle once & barely touched the 'resistance'

4 months on I do 2 classes a week minimum (along with other classes & running)

My knees no longer give me any problems at all
    I keep up with the class sitting & standing & the resistance whenever instructed too
    I have noticed a massive improvement in a very short time & even my butt is getting used to it too !!!

Go, Conquer & enjoy !!!

Similar story. Took me about a month of persisting in 2 classes a week before I really got in the swing of things and now follow instructions without adaptation.

One thing that's crucial is to get your bike sorted (as it says above) - seat height and distance from bars (helps leg alignment and therefore knees) and handle height. The class instructor will be happy to help.

The best instructors will make it clear that you are in charge and in control your pace and resistance, keep up if you can. Don't push yourself too hard too quick or you'll do more harm than good.

My knees are ravaged from other injuries, so I wear knee straps and would just take it easier when they started to get tired. The other thing that has helped is proper cycling shoes with cleats. They force leg alignment and enable pedal pushing and pulling (different impact to your legs and joints), but its only worth investing if you find yourself committed.

I do 3 classes a week now.

Bear in mind that it might just not be for you. There's a dozen classes at the gym that other people love (so much it needs you to book) but absolutely crucify me.

I'd suggest giving it a go for 2 weeks ... if it's not for you then you can cross that off your list.
  • zh123
    zh123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You'll want to die every spin class you do but you feel so amazing afterwards! You will get fitter and grasp the technique with every class you do, it's just practice. I spin 3 times a week and noticed changes to my body after as little as a couple of classes. Everything feels firmer, my legs have shape, my arms are toned and my fitness levels are unbelievable compared to just a few weeks ago.

If you still aren't enjoying it, perhaps try a different spin class because having a good instructor/routine/music makes such a difference! x
  • mrsowen2012
    mrsowen2012 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I went to my first ever spin class last night - and yes, I sweated lots but I felt no gain at all apart from my bum really hurting today and it hurting when i initially sit down!!

Any hints?.....

My hubby and I did it together last night - which was funny looking at eachother now and again and seeing how red we were getting - just by 'peddling' a bike!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Its a great calorie burn, and if you're doing it right (and the instructor is good), you should absolutely be feeling it in your quads and glutes the next day.

I didn't love it at first, but now its pretty much my favorite workout ....I do two classes a week in addition to lots of other training and like it at lot. If you're sitting a lot, try shifting yourself to the back of the seat and engage your glutes to move the pedals. Embrace the standing, because it gets your sore tush out of the saddle (get a gel seat cover if that helps..they're cheap and you can bring it with you each class).

Maybe its not for everyone, but give it a few more chances before you completely give it up. If your gym offers different instructors, try a few classes, because they're all different, and like a college professor, it can make a big difference in your enjoyment of the class. :drinker:
  • yokosuka324
    yokosuka324 Posts: 24
    Options
    I have kind of the same story. I've been going to Spin class 4 times a week for 50 mins each class. My first time was absolutely horrid. I couldn't keep up and didn't stand up once, barely touched resistance. Second class I was so determined I matched everything. I don't see much of a difference in my body but I've only started working out again for about a month. It very fun especially if the instructor plays good music during the class. Once you get into the swing of it, it's not that hard. You control the resistance so, in the end, you control how hard the work out is.