How Much Water is Too Much?

Options
This might seem like a silly question, but it occurred to me on Saturday. On Friday, a co-worker gave me a really neat water bottle. I'd been saying that I didn't like water bottles because they make the water taste like plastic, so she got me one made of glass (she has a similar one). I love it! No more plastic-y water! Anyway, it holds 20 ounces of water, and in nine hours on Saturday, I managed to refill the thing four times. About 80 ounces of water. I realized that it was only about 8 o'clock at night and really hot in my apartment, meaning I wasn't done drinking. I don't think I drank enough to hurt anything, but it started me wondering...how much water is too much water?

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    80 ounces is nowhere near too much. You'll know when you've had too much water when you barf it back up. For example, if you drank a whole gallon in 10 minutes, you might not keep it down. However, if you drank two gallons over a 24 hour period, it would be fine.

Personally, I try to get two quarts a day... so 64 ounces plus whatever else I happen to drink that day. Sometimes if I'm active or if the air is dry, I might drink three quarts. Water is good for you, so drink as much as you want!
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have a water bottle that holds 64oz and I usually drink almost 2 in a day. I have never felt like it was too much. My sister in law was told by her dr that it would help her to lose weight if she tried to drink a gallon a day. She did and it worked well.
  • fitnessfreddie
    fitnessfreddie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I drink over a gallon a day and I feel that's not enough sometimes.
  • fitshaper
    fitshaper Posts: 5
    Options
    No, it's okay actually. We need water in our body and almost 80% of our body are water.
  • kjhall01
    kjhall01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Over a long period you can pretty much drink as much water as you want, but if you drink a lot during a short period it can cause water poisoning. (Google it) This happened to me once when I had a UTI. I was drinking a TON of water within about a 30 minute period and I felt like my head was going to explode there was so much pressure. Literally my brain was swelling from all the water and pressing against my skull making it hurt. So just avoid that!
  • Larrybrown01
    Options
    To stay healthy and for better digestive health you have to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water.
    It also helps to maintain your skin moisturizer and glossiness.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question once on here because, although already drinking a lot of water, I decided to drink even more than that, and actually ended up making myself feel sick on a few days. I didn't know what was happening! Apparently, you can't physically drink too much water, and there's no negative health-effects, but, if you're like me, you might feel a bit queasy after drinking too much. I just needed a little salt and felt dandy again.

NB: When I say you can't get too much water, I mean in a 'normal' circumstance of drinking it out of a water bottle all say, obviously you CAN physically have too much water.
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm not really worried about water toxicity, since I don't drink enough in one sitting to make me feel full even. But I do vaguely remember something from way back in high school nutrition class about too much water throwing off vitamins and electrolytes in the body?