BBC - Barefoot running injury concern

Options
kendrafallon
kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
Interesting article on the concerns raised by injuries from barefoot running.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22528387
Barefoot running injury concern
By Helen Briggs

The trend for barefoot running could lead to injuries in some runners, a small study suggests.

The way you run is more important than whether you wear running shoes or not, say scientists in Taiwan.

The rationale behind barefoot running is to move in a more natural way, with the front of the foot hitting the ground first.

But not all runners manage to adopt this style, putting added strain on muscles, scientific data suggests.

Claims that human feet are naturally designed to run bare on the ground, not in modern cushioned running shoes, have led to many runners trying out barefoot running.

A study, published in Gait & Posture, looked at the effects of different striking patterns for both styles of running, to assess the likely impact on running injuries.

Sports scientists at National Taiwan Normal University tested 12 male runners on a treadmill.

After a warm-up they were assessed while running in one of four ways - barefoot landing heel first, barefoot landing forefoot first, and the same styles while wearing trainers.

Tests were carried out to look at their gait, muscle activity and the likely impact on running injuries.

The scientists found that runners can gain more shock absorption by changing their striking pattern to a forefoot strike, either in shoes or without.

Runners who are used to wearing shoes may, however, be more susceptible to injuries when they run barefoot if they carry on running with the heel hitting the ground first.

Yo Shih and colleagues write: "Habitually shod runners may be subject to injury more easily when they run barefoot and continue to use their heel strike pattern."

Alex Bliss, a sports scientist at the University of Brighton, said the study suggested that changing the mechanics of your stride - from heel strike to toe strike - alters the demands placed on the muscles in the calf and shin.

"This would perhaps suggest that foot strike pattern plays a critical role in muscular activation of the lower leg musculature, regardless of footwear or barefoot," he told BBC News.

"However, the study does have limitations in that it employs small subject numbers of [unreported] cardiovascular fitness and training background, and also comprises of running at a single speed of 9km/h [5mph]."

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Yep, when you change to minimalist footwear or go barefoot, you have to change the style of your running and become a forefoot runner...us minimalists are well aware of this and have even suffered the over exuberance syndrome (having tried to run too far too fast in minimal shoes or barefoot, because it feels so good)

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall
    The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton
    Barefoot Running Step by Step by Ken Bob Saxton

are three good reads on the subject and helpful if you want to transition from shod running to barefoot/minimalist running.
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    how do you work out which way you run? and how do you switch to running forefoot first...as a novice i'm just out there glad to be running of sorts, but i'm sticking to my super suportive cushioned trainers and keeping my barefoot ones for lifting in the gym
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    how do you work out which way you run? and how do you switch to running forefoot first...as a novice i'm just out there glad to be running of sorts, but i'm sticking to my super suportive cushioned trainers and keeping my barefoot ones for lifting in the gym

Look up Good Form Running online. It mainly comes down to cadence. Increase your cadence and your stride shortens up, promoting more of a midfoot or forefoot strike.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I had my gait analysed when I bought shoes specifically for running - I went to a running shop for them. While they did stock barefoot style trainers, the owner wasn't a fan.

During Tae Kwon Do warm-ups we'll jog round the hall barefoot and I manage fine then, but then I'm still jogging the way I do when I'm outside. One of the main things I noticed is that there's more force through my legs and strain on my knees and ankles.

Each to their own.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options

Most running shoe wearers run with their heels first. Heel striking is the most common style. I found that heel striking was what was causing my injuries rather than the other way (although you have to strengthen your calves and ankles to run forefoot first) so I switched and have been happy for a whole year (no injuries).
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Look up Good Form Running online. It mainly comes down to cadence. Increase your cadence and your stride shortens up, promoting more of a midfoot or forefoot strike.

thanks for that - i'm a total plodder - slow and steady and i think it's time to work on improving my running form