120g of carbs per day

Options
Sid1988
Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
MFP has allocated me with 193g of carbs per day.

I am looking to see what changes my body makes on low carb for a month or so. I have logged all of my food for the day and is coming up as 120g of carbs - is this considered low carb or not or should i cut back some more?

Replies

• tjolenee
    tjolenee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I was low carbing I was eating less than 20 carbs day :p
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    How did you eat less than 20 grams of carbs?
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would consider something between 20 and 70 co be low carb... 20 being reeeaally strict. My mom does 20 and she basically can't have any grains, root vegetables, fruit or sugar at all. But she can eat lots of most vegetables.

Mfp obviously considers 120 to be low carb though if it wants you to eat 193... I'm sure other people might think it's low too...
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I would think that 120g of carbs is more moderate than low. I personally believe that low carbs would be under 100g. That 20g mentioned above is a keto type diet, and not all low carb diets are that low.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The general opinion is that MFP is a bit low on protein and high on carbs for its default settings. You can manually adjust them - I always set mine to 40% carb, 30% protein/fat.
  • Sid1988
    Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I know absolutely nothing about nutrition, what are the best low/non-carb foods?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I know absolutely nothing about nutrition, what are the best low/non-carb foods?

Meat. :drinker:

Basically your carbs will be all fruits and veggies, pasta, potatoes, rice, bread, etc...so most everything else that is not a processed conglomerate of lots of ingredients tend to be low on carbs.
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The general opinion is that MFP is a bit low on protein and high on carbs for its default settings. You can manually adjust them - I always set mine to 40% carb, 30% protein/fat.

THIS
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    How did you eat less than 20 grams of carbs?

I did sub 30 for a few months, it's not that hard once you get used to it. You just focus on a limited subset of foods.

I'm glad I did it because it cut out the cravings I had, I wouldn't want to do it forever though ... it's just a tool to be used as necessary.

120g a day I would class as moderate.
  • pinkupooh
    pinkupooh Posts: 155
    Options

Basically your carbs will be all fruits and veggies, pasta, potatoes, rice, bread, etc...so most everything else that is not a processed conglomerate of lots of ingredients tend to be low on carbs.

I am vegetarian, is low carb not for me then?
  • TheVimFuego
    Options

Lord Bacon Of Baconshire :)
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Damn... I love them too much
  • TheVimFuego
    Options

I'm going to stick my neck out and say no, don't bother.

Really not worth the hassle given that you won't get any major benefits compared to any other form of eating/exercising that creates an energy gap. You won't burn more fat, there is no metabolic magic.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Most vegetables grown above ground are pretty low carb, so it's probably possible... You'd just have to research A LOT to make sure you get all the nutrients you need and stay away from the carbiest (not a real word... -_-;;) things.
    Are vegetarians the one who can't have eggs? I can never remember. Eggs are good for protein and have little carbs so that could replace meat.
  • wffolkes
    wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I wanted to cut my carb intake a little to see if it makes a difference and try to eat the so called GOOD carbs.

its not an easy task though I like my oats, go ahead bars and chips...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

If you can find 80g a day of protein from low carb sources you'll be OK. Cheese and eggs are practically zero carb and have fat:protein around 70:30. That balances up things like veg that are 70% or more calories from carbs but are low calorie.

It'll be more challenging than for a meat eater but not impossible by any means,
  • tjolenee
    tjolenee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Damn... I love them too much

Me too. It only lasted a few months :D