Should I worry about this pain????

Options
Ok. I started level 2 of 30 DS. It has a lot and I mean A LOT of shoulder and arm work that I'm not quite used to. During the night last night, I was awakened with intense shoulder pain. I ended up getting up at 4 am and icing it. That made it feel better. My question is: should I worry about this or could this be simply the working out and building up of muscles? I do plan to take today off and let my muscles rest. I'm also wondering if I should go back to level 1. I don't really want to bc I'll feel like I'm giving up...

Replies

• WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Is it a sharp pain or more of a sore one? Anything sharp... stop and see a doc. If it's sore, rest it, ice it, and take ibuprofen over 24 hours to reduce swelling. I am not a medical professional but this is advice that was given to me and it has worked for me. I work out sometimes to the point that I have DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) kick in while I am sleeping. It even wakes me up sometimes. When this happens, I know to lay off it the following day.
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi, given that you have arthritis you have to take exercise induced pain seriously. As you know ( being one of my friends :smile: ) I have rheumatoid arthritis and I found 30DS too strenuous. It's now sitting unused in the back of the cupboard. I have to listen to my body and avoid high impact exercises or certain repetitive actions to avoid inducing a flare. I've tried "working through" pain and unfortunately ended up feeling very ill and it took me weeks to build back up. I would advise you to get proper medical advice on what you should be doing.
    Paula x
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I would take a break. Especially if its sharp pain not like a dull ache.
  • groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Is it a sharp pain or more of a sore one? Anything sharp... stop and see a doc. If it's sore, rest it, ice it, and take ibuprofen over 24 hours to reduce swelling. I am not a medical professional but this is advice that was given to me and it has worked for me. I work out sometimes to the point that I have DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) kick in while I am sleeping. It even wakes me up sometimes. When this happens, I know to lay off it the following day.

This sounds very much like my experience. :)
  • groovyreba
    Options
    Hi, given that you have arthritis you have to take exercise induced pain seriously. As you know ( being one of my friends :smile: ) I have rheumatoid arthritis and I found 30DS too strenuous. It's now sitting unused in the back of the cupboard. I have to listen to my body and avoid high impact exercises or certain repetitive actions to avoid inducing a flare. I've tried "working through" pain and unfortunately ended up feeling very ill and it took me weeks to build back up. I would advise you to get proper medical advice on what you should be doing.
    Paula x

Thanks Paula. I do feel like I should be a little more careful. What exercise do you do?
  • groovyreba
    Options
    I would take a break. Especially if its sharp pain not like a dull ache.

I took today off and am thinking of researching something else. Not sure what yet.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am on 30 DS, Day 15 (or Level 2, Day 5) using 5 lb weights. Try to ice immediately after each workout. Also, hot oil massages work wonders and are pretty inexpensive around here. When you go back to working out, maybe slow your pace to one move for their every two and lower the size of your weights. :)
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    SLAP tear, inflamed bursa, rotator cuff injury... none of these things you should play with. Some take 4-6 weeks to heal. Some require surgery if bad enough.

See a doctor.
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Paula x

Thanks Paula. I do feel like I should be a little more careful. What exercise do you do?
    I try most things but 30DS was way too intense. Just getting up and down off the floor all the time was not good for my joints let alone doing jumping jacks! I've put a note on your profile page of what I do but feel free to message me if you'd like any advice.