Best ab exercises

Options
What are the best exercises to get my abs toned I'm loosing some weight and starting to be faced with a small bit of loose skin so would really like to try ad tone my and and full the skin with muscle i that makes sense.
Ive been looking online an there are hundreds of exercises that claim to be the best av toning exercises I'm just confused as to which will give bet results. Thanks

Replies

• logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Never underestimate the basic "Plank". I have found that this works the best for me (my lower back gets fatigued easily so blasting through crunches is usually out of the question).
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    General advice tends towards lifting something heavy is best, you can't really spot reduce
  • cedman1
    cedman1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Not sure if its the best, but I find kettle bell exercises for the core very demanding and fully working the abs as well as the stabilizing muscles as well. For a good list check out http://www.jefit.com or download there app for iphone or andriod if preferred. Go under the exercises menu and they have a great list with what is worked and also the basic movement is demonstrated as well.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Never underestimate the basic "Plank".
    I second that. And there are different versions too, try them all! so fun. ;)
    Bicycle crunches will hit it all. 60 seconds 3x a workout is pretty good.
  • rachy867
    rachy867 Posts: 32
    Options
    Hip thrusts are really good for the lower stomach area :happy:
  • leahslooloo
    leahslooloo Posts: 57
    Options
    I like practising plank position my other half thinks its hilarious trying to watch me balance like that for a while. Might get him to time me each time for a laugh give me something to work too i can try and beat myself :-)
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Plank and side plank. When plank gets too easy do it on swiss ball.
  • MustLoveSammiches
    MustLoveSammiches Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mix it up! The best abs workouts for me are ones that have a little of everything. You need to work not only your abs but your core. Try weighted sit ups, some leg throws, bicycle crunches, planks, push ups, russian twists. Your core is used constantly so it's a beast to work out, but it also means it can take a beating. Make sure your doing multiple sets of 15-20 reps. You can also speed up the process by making sure you always engage your core during every work out, I do it by remembering to tuck my tailbone.

I also adore shrinking jeans monthly work out calendars. It progressively gets harder as the month goes on, but its short enough to tack onto the end of your normal workout.

http://shrinkingjeans.net/2013/02/six-pack-march-2013-edition/

Best of luck and if you stumble onto something brilliant that works for you, please share!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as an ab toning exercise.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Nothing beats the deadlift for ab building. I look at abs like any other muscle group: if I want them to grow, they need to be worked like any other muscle group. 3x5 working sets and increase the weight every workout. That's hard to do with planks or sit-ups or any Abdominizer ProZ90PX Insanitizer. But you can progressively load them during compound lifts like the squat and deadlift. And they have to grow or your gut will pop during a heavy deadlift.

Tom
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Diet and cardio are the only means to a tighter stomach. Abs exercises don't help until your body fat percentage gets very low.
  • hayzeus1216
    Options
    Hip thrusts are really good for the lower stomach area :happy:

Agreed! ;)
  • justjennnie
    justjennnie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this counts as an exercise- but Jillian Michaels 6 Week 6 pack is pretty amazing. includes ton of ab exercises and cardio with focus on your abs. anyhow, for $7.00 on amazon it's a pretty good deal.
  • leahslooloo
    leahslooloo Posts: 57
    Options
    ooo tried a few of these today and they are really good ones gave me a real good work out really liking the Russian twists especially weighted
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I advocate proper diet and any form of exercise... Abs will come... if you don't have a proper diet, you will develop strong abs however they may be covered under a heavy layer of fat...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    someone already mentioned that you cannot spot reduce...

everyones abs are there, you just have to uncover them by removing the layer of fat that is over them ..

so the best way to expose your abs is to lose body fat.

I would say that compound lifts do the most to develop your abs...bench press, deadlift, squat, over head press, pull ups/chin ups, etc...the only ab exercise I do are weighted crunches, twists, or decline sit ups with weight about 15 minutes to 30 minutes a week...
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Planks, plank jacks, mountain climbers... yoga. Abs are made in the kitchen (watch your refined sugar intake), imo :) But these workouts don't hurt either!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I advocate proper diet and any form of exercise... Abs will come... if you don't have a proper diet, you will develop strong abs however they may be covered under a heavy layer of fat...

Well said
  • DancingHev
    DancingHev Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you're eating well and are looking for a way to tone the abs (like I was) give Pole Dance Fitness a try.
    It's so much fun (take a friend with you, it's a great thing to do together) and believe me, you can definitely feel it in your tummy muscles the next day!

I've danced all my life but stuck to Ballet and theatre dance based disciplines, so I've never had a problem toning my legs. I needed to find a fun way (I get bored with the gym) to tone my torso and upper body. I've been Pole Dancing for a short while now and the difference in my upper body, arms and abs is definitely becoming noticeable by me, my partner and those close to me.

It's not seedy as some people seem to think, it's hard work, bloody good for you, fun and empowering. And no matter what size or shape you are, it makes you feel sexy! I can't recommend it enough!
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options

Well said

well said x2