Advice from rowers please!

I've just started using the rowing machine at the gym (well, I had my second go on it tonight) and I'm wondering how to record the exercise in MFP - should I do light, moderate or heavy? I chose moderate because I'm pretty fit but I am in no way superfit.
The machine gave me these readings at the end:
15 minutes of using it
31 s/m
2:58/500m
2548m
2:57.5/500 m (average)
14 split metres
5067 projected metres for 20 minutes (I think that's what the last reading says..)

So is it right that I record this as rowing, stationery, moderate effort?

Also, what exactly am I working on the rower? I guess my shoulders and my legs, does it work my upper and lower arms and my torso too?

Thanks for the help guys :)

Replies

• sagreenious
    sagreenious Posts: 64 Member
    *bump*
    Help anyone?
  • eastcoastwahine
    eastcoastwahine Posts: 2 Member
    I'm not sure what the numbers mean since it's been a long time since I rowed (collegiate), but i can answer what muscles you use while rowing. In order to get the best workout, you need to focus on isolating your muscle groups into the following categories- legs, back, and arms. So when you row, you want to push off with your legs, bring the handle to just below your chest (in a following through kind of motion, not a jerking motion), and then kind of scoop it down towards your belly button like a reverse C. So, legs carry the brunt, then back, then shoulders. Too many times I've seen people using their arms to row. It's larger to smaller muscles.

Rowing is one of the most effective full body workouts you can get. If you can hang on for 30 minutes you'll burn a ton of calories.

Hope this helps!
  • sagreenious
    Thank you!

I think I'll continue recording it as moderate, unless I somehow become a champion rower (unlikely).
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Moderate is how high your heart rate goes and how hard YOU feel like you're working. Not really as much what the machine says. My efforts in 30 minutes of rowing at the gym are TWICE as far and TWICE as many calories burned at the gym as they are at home on my little rower, which I know is a big fat lie. Do you FEEL like you were working moderately? Yes? GREAT! You did moderate!

After a while, you'll have to go FASTER and FASTER and LONGER to feel the same way. I started at about the same pace you showed here and in under a month, I was rowing for 30 minutes with 2.50 min for 500 meters and still calling it "moderate."

:)
  • sagreenious
    Ohhh! I didn;t realise moderate was about what how I felt and my heart rate. Thanks!