Fitbit question-logging exercise

Options
I am so confused as to whether or not I am supposed to log my exercise into MFP. It doubles my exercise workout and I feel as if it is not supposed to and I shouldn't be logging any exercise because the fitbit one does it on it's own. Can someone please tell me what to do or how to understand this?! lol. Thanks!

Replies

• Sorce
    Sorce Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do not log any cardio exercise with the fitbit I will log strength exercises since it can't track those.
  • darkangelinvb
    darkangelinvb Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I only add exercises to MFP that Fit Bit does not. I will add any weight lifting or cardio done while not wearing my fitbit. I figure better to log less than log too much. At the end of the day as long as my fitbit shows a calorie deficit I am more thatn happy.
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Have you synced them?

If you sync them, you may choose to log your exercise or not. It should not count double for you because you will enter the time you began workign otu and the number of minutes.... The Fitbit will discount all the calories it gave you during during the workout if you enter the time and the number of minutes the work out lasted.

If the work out is STEPPING based (Running, elliptical machine, stairmaster, a hike, walking the dog) Just leave it and let the fitbit enter it for you. If you do yoga or swim or ANY non stepping thing that the fit bit cannot reasonably track, you should enter it manually.

Does that help?
  • ntw25
    ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I m looking forward to answers.

I do not log my walking/cardio any more because the fitbit adjustment takes care of it. If (and thats a big if) I do strength training, I do not wear my fitbit so add the appropriate exercises.

Seems to work for me, but my concern is that the adjustment seems to be very high.

Hope that helps

N
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    Yes, they are both synced. However, when I add in my exercise for the day my deficit number always goes up, and I feel like maybe it's wrong? I am doing the 30 ds as well which has SOME cardio in it, but I enter it in as circuit training, I also log the start times when I do that or when I run on the treadmill. Should I stop logging exercise altogether? The part that sucks is that I like to go back and see how I've been doing and what workout I did on what days, so if I stop logging then I can't see that.....ahh :o/
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are both synced. However, when I add in my exercise for the day my deficit number always goes up, and I feel like maybe it's wrong? I am doing the 30 ds as well which has SOME cardio in it, but I enter it in as circuit training, I also log the start times when I do that or when I run on the treadmill. Should I stop logging exercise altogether? The part that sucks is that I like to go back and see how I've been doing and what workout I did on what days, so if I stop logging then I can't see that.....ahh :o/

OK, your deficit should go up if you log an exercise. MFP is set to leave you with a particular deficit for the day so if you exercise MFP will increase how much you can eat for the day. So, lets say in the morning before you eat or exercise MFP says you have 1800 calories, which in your settings you picked "1 pound per week". That means that eating 1800 calories without exercise will give you a 500 calorie deficit. Let's say that you go for a run and burn 500 calories but didn't eat yet, MFP will now show that you should eat 2300 calories, this will still leave you with a 500 calorie deficit for the day if you eat 2300 calories.

As for logging exercise with fitbit:

#1- Don't log running, jogging or walking........your fitbit will track that just fine.
    #2- Log cycling, fitbit doesn't track that well. Same for elliptical machines.
    #3- Log weight lifting, fitbit does not log that well either, but I would probably be very conservative on how many calories you count.

When logging Cycling, elliptical and lifting you go in and "name" them in your dashboard.
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options

OK, your deficit should go up if you log an exercise. MFP is set to leave you with a particular deficit for the day so if you exercise MFP will increase how much you can eat for the day. So, lets say in the morning before you eat or exercise MFP says you have 1800 calories, which in your settings you picked "1 pound per week". That means that eating 1800 calories without exercise will give you a 500 calorie deficit. Let's say that you go for a run and burn 500 calories but didn't eat yet, MFP will now show that you should eat 2300 calories, this will still leave you with a 500 calorie deficit for the day if you eat 2300 calories.

As for logging exercise with fitbit:

#1- Don't log running, jogging or walking........your fitbit will track that just fine.
    #2- Log cycling, fitbit doesn't track that well. Same for elliptical machines.
    #3- Log weight lifting, fitbit does not log that well either, but I would probably be very conservative on how many calories you count.

When logging Cycling, elliptical and lifting you go in and "name" them in your dashboard.

Thanks so much!! :O)
  • leb199
    leb199 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How does the Fitbit know the difference between running and elliptical training as far as calories burned? Or even walking for that matter?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I log all exercise in fitbit (including interval training and strength training) and food in MFP.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Tigg1011 wrote: »
    The part that sucks is that I like to go back and see how I've been doing and what workout I did on what days, so if I stop logging then I can't see that.....ahh :o/

Log it as 1 minute - for example you can make your own exercise and call it "Tracking Circuit Training 45 minutes " - then just log it as 1 minute and you have a record of it but it won't affect the calories