Non critical injury and exercise

Options
OK I need advice. I've hurt my neck (not work out related) and it's been really stiff for the past two weeks and it won't go away. I worked out last week while it was stiff, but I only did the treadmill for an hour instead of lifting weights until it felt better then I only did about 10 -15 lb weights. I was OK for about 3 days and it started hurting again and worse than before...to the point I couldn't move my neck for two days. It is still stiff but I am mobile and I'm dying to work out again but I'm afraid to because this neck thing may not go away. All I want to do is the treadmill until my neck is 100% better but not sure if that would prevent my neck from getting better or not. i'll take opinions, suggestions, anything to help me out. I do not want to start gaining weight from something as stupid as a stiff neck.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try going to a masseuse or chiropractor, a few visits should have you back to normal.
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you haven't seen the doctor or chiropractor I would advise that you do. Two weeks is a long time to suffer with that pain, and you say it's not going away. I had neck pain last year that lasted for months until I went to the chiropractor. All your bones, muscles, joints are connected to each other, so eventually your injured neck may affect your shoulders and back and make matters worse. As for the exercise, I would take it easy for now, but an hour on the treadmill sounds like a lot for an injured body. Go see the doctor!
  • rhoward66
    rhoward66 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree with the recommendation to see your doctor, but you also should incorporate some basic stretching into your pre and post workout routines if you don't already.
  • SarahBethS
    SarahBethS Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am going to get a massage to see if that helps it out, I'm trying to avoid going to a chiropractor because it takes too many visits per week and that's too much time off of work that I will have to make up.

So since I can't work out until i'm 100%, what can I do to at least maintain my current weight? Stay at the 1200 calories or change my goals on my profile to maintain weight and go by those calories?
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Getting the massage is a good idea, that might be sufficient to help you heal. I would recommend a deep tissue massage to get all the knots out. As per the calories, why don't you stay on your 1200 and see how that works for you. Even if you go over a little bit...then it would be like maintenance, otherwise if you change your calories to maintenance and you go over, then you might start gaining what you've lost. Good luck and hope you heal soon!