Exercise Calories

Options
I'm just wondering what the generalized rule is about eating exercise calories back. Should you eat them all? Should you make sure your total net calories at least meets your BMR?

What about banking exercise calories? Say you have an event on a Friday night. Would it work- in theory- to save some of your exercise calories through the week to help cover the excess calories consumed on Friday, or do you have to eat the exercise calories that day?

Replies

• ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total daily energy expenditure.
    This is calories burned from day to day activities and from exercise.

If you eat at a 25% deficit, and then eat back your exercise calories, you eliminated any weight loss for the week.

Recommendation:
    Figure out your TDEE for the week
    Figure out what you plan on eating per day
    Determine the difference (total caloric defict for the week)

If you eat back some of the deficit you can still lose weight, albeit not as quickly.
  • celia4711
    celia4711 Posts: 15
    Options
    Do what suits you. There are no rules. If you're legit hungry (as in you're happy to chomp on a carrot and broccoli) then go for it. But if you find yourself reaching for cake, don't even think about it. Whats the point in going to the gym if you eat back your hard work in gross processed food?
    The body isnt picky about which day calories are consumed. It's better to think on a weekly basis.
  • quackers82
    quackers82 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to sedentary and 2lb a week loss. So to maintain i need 2340 a day, it sets me to 1340 to make the 7000 calories a week deficit. I have been doing that since January and eating back almost all my exercise calories every day. On Sunday for example i consumed 2907 calories gross, but netted 1237 as i did loads of walking. I have been doing this since January and have last 2.5 stone in weight. So it is possible to lose weight and eat back your exercise calories. Just make sure you accurate with exercise, don't over estimate.

On the app you have a weekly view, so if i have a party at the weekend i try to net under by about 200 calories each day then it slowly builds up at the bottom of that weekly view and use them if needed.
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    Options

If you eat at a 25% deficit, and then eat back your exercise calories, you eliminated any weight loss for the week.

Recommendation:

If you eat back some of the deficit you can still lose weight, albeit not as quickly.

The problem is, I am unemployed, so I can go from a day where I'm running around from one interview to another to a day where I barely get out of bed. My TDEE varies so much from day to day, so I'm not sure how well I can trust that.

Besides, say I decide to calculate my TDEE based on sitting on my butt all day. What if I end up going hiking on Sunday? I'm going to be burning more calories than my calculated TDEE.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Recommendation:

The problem is, I am unemployed, so I can go from a day where I'm running around from one interview to another to a day where I barely get out of bed. My TDEE varies so much from day to day, so I'm not sure how well I can trust that.

Besides, say I decide to calculate my TDEE based on sitting on my butt all day. What if I end up going hiking on Sunday? I'm going to be burning more calories than my calculated TDEE.

Then determine your BMR. Add to it the calories you burned for the day by walking or exercising. That's your total burn for that one day, eat less than that amount. All the calories over your BMR can be considered "eating back" exercise cals. As long as you don't eat them all back, you'll still be at a deficit and by extenstion still lose weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering what the generalized rule is about eating exercise calories back. Should you eat them all? Should you make sure your total net calories at least meets your BMR?

What about banking exercise calories? Say you have an event on a Friday night. Would it work- in theory- to save some of your exercise calories through the week to help cover the excess calories consumed on Friday, or do you have to eat the exercise calories that day?

Net up to your BMR at least .... yes. Netting below it for an extended time is a recipe for lean muscle loss.

Lots of people "bank" calories ......you will want to keep track those on a spreadsheet or something. Some people call this their cheat day.