Non egg low carb breakfast ideas

Options
Fitnin6280
Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
Hi all, I am looking for low carb breakfast ideas. I like eggs, but am getting tired of them. Any suggestions would be awesome!

*Disclaimer - I have medical reasons why I am doing low carb, so please, no attacks on a low carb diet. It is working for me, and I am feeling better than I have in years! No, it is not for everyone, but it is for me.

Thanks!!

Replies

• AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with nuts, deli turkey, celery and peanut butter, a salad
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    bacon :D
  • katilynnegray
    katilynnegray Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese w/ or w/o fruit
    smoothies
    protein shakes
  • celia4711
    celia4711 Posts: 15
    Options
    Black coffee, tea.
  • Fitnin6280
    Options
    smoothies
    protein shakes

Not sure why it never occured to me to have cottage cheese for breakfast, but I am up for that. :-)
  • Fitnin6280
    Options
    Black coffee, tea.

I love black coffee. But I really have to have something to eat in the morning. My lunch isnt until 2:00 and I have a small snack around 11:00. So I don't think just coffee will do it for me. lol.
  • KristyTonn
    KristyTonn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Turkey (or beef) jerky, protein, low fat...
    apple and peanut butter,
    yogurt,
    a smaller serving of leftovers from a previous night? (Who says breakfast has to be breakfast foods ;) )
    cottage cheese, with or without fruit,
    string cheese
  • Fitnin6280
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    bacon
    ham
    Protein pancakes
    Protein shakes

Can you try to do something different with your eggs? --

*egg scrambles; add spinach, feta, tomato / cheese, black beans, avocado, salsa / whatever combination you like...
    *egg in a basket using low carb/paleo bread
    *Omlettes
  • PrairieMomTo3
    PrairieMomTo3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon, lilydale brand is only 25 calories a slice, although it is quite processed.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Open faced bacon butty
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    So it took me a while to understand that you don't have to have "breakfast" foods for breakfast. I eat whatever sounds good. BLT lettuce wrap, turkey jerky and some fruit, steak, grilled chicken and veggies. Food is food, you don't have to eat certain foods for certain meals. Once I figured that out eating higher protein was easier and I didn't get sick of the same foods all the time.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    B A C O N
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat breakfast but if I'm hungry I generally have a piece of cheese. Last weekend I was hungry and had some mozzerella and olives! Yummy. But then I'm a cheeseaholic!

"Can you try to do something different with your eggs? -- "

Deviled!!!
  • BeckH888
    BeckH888 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am a low carb dieter, too. When I get sick of eggs (like right now!) I like a small granny apple and 1 tbsp of simply jiff low sugar low sodium peanut butter.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    There is no law that says you have to have breakfast foods for breakfast. Just eat what you would the rest of the day. When I was on Atkins I used to love to roll a cheese stick up in a slice of lunch meat with mustard on it. Yummy!
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I like mixing a 3/4 cooked runny egg into my cooked oat meal =)
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Well I was curious about the "no egg" thing...

You know there are literally dozens of ways to cook eggs, right? :smile:

I have two eggs every single morning for breakfast - and no silly whites-only or egg-beaters or any of that nonsense. I probably prepare them at least 3 different ways each week.

Add some salsa, make an omelette with meats and veggies inside, or I also like to get the "Skillet Bake" (I think it's called) by Johnsonville which has sausage, peppers, onions and potatoes, and you add the eggs (sunny-side up or scrambled are my two methods.)

I mean if you don't like eggs you don't like eggs, but they're a phenomenal source of protein and calories without carbs. Just my two cents!!
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    smoothies
    protein shakes

Not sure why it never occured to me to have cottage cheese for breakfast, but I am up for that. :-)

Here's a great protein shake recipe (Caroline's Low Carb Shake) that actually uses cottage cheese! :-) You don't taste it in the mix, but the result is like a milkshake (makes two servings):

Trader Joe's Soy Protein Powder (or any low carb protein powder) - Vanilla - 2 scoops
    Heavy Whipping Cream, 1/2 cup
    Egg Substitute, 1/2 cup
    Cottage Cheese - Small Curd - 4% Milk, 1/2 cup
    Water- 1/2 cup

Recipe Total: 690 calories 15 carbs 47 fat 50 protein 0 fiber
    Per Serving: 345 calories 8 carbs 24 fat 25 protein 0 fiber

To these basic ingredients, add sugar free flavorings of your choice. I have an arsenal of DaVinci and Torani SF syrups on my counter (my kitchen looks like an espresso stand! lol), A favorite is Egg Nog...or Orange for a "Creamsicle" like taste. The SF syrups don't add carbs, but other options might. I also like SF hot cocoa (Carnation makes a fat free one that is also low carb, good chocolate taste) and instant coffee crystals for a "mocha" flavor (adds a few carbs so count 'em).

Put all in a blender (love, love, LOVE my Ninja) with 8-10 ice cubes and blend well. The longer you blend, the more "shake-like" it seems to get. Pour into travel mug w/ a straw and you're out the door in about 2 minutes total.

I realize the carb and calorie count may seem high for a shake, but it keeps me going (and not hungry) well past lunch and sometimes until dinner. My daily carb limit is usually 20-30, so this still allows for a nice sized salad w/ dinner and maybe even a few more veggies. It works for me as an option a few days a week...and they actually taste GOOD!!!!
  • boothekm
    boothekm Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    jello and cool whip!!!

any kind of meat....sausage, bacon, etc.

There are some Atkins meals...maybe some breakfast ones at grocery stores...but they're a little expensive

When I was doing low carb, I had to rush out the door...so I just ate a lot of turkey and cut up cheese!!