Period making me hungry, crave etc HELP

Options
Ok so today is the first day and i feel horrible and just so hungry and fussy with my eating and this diet restricts me from fulfilling the crave as it would be bad and i'd fee guilty
Any advice to lessen the craving and stop feeling so hungry?
I don't want to eat too much/eat crap! Thanks!

Replies

• Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I was on last week and had such a huge appetite. I decided to let myself eat quite a bit of dark chocolate and full fat greek yoghurt over the week - it felt like a treat but not like i was overdoing it! I just realised that I needed to eat more last week and now I'm back to eating slightly less this week. If you go over your calories a bit don't worry about it, it's just a few days and you can get back on track!
  • UNLESS19
    UNLESS19 Posts: 118
    Options
    I was on last week and had such a huge appetite. I decided to let myself eat quite a bit of dark chocolate and full fat greek yoghurt over the week - it felt like a treat but not like i was overdoing it! I just realised that I needed to eat more last week and now I'm back to eating slightly less this week. If you go over your calories a bit don't worry about it, it's just a few days and you can get back on track!
    Aw thanks so much! the yoghurt sounds good :) I may get low fat so i can have some granola too :) & Mmm dark chic- forgot about that! thanks!
    <3
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    First thought: are you eating enough? Your phrasing "this diet restricts me" makes me wonder. If you stop thinking "diet" and start thinking "lifestyle," then up your calories to a place where you can have the things you like in moderation while still losing weight, you may find the cravings disappearing. Go here for advice on a reasonable calorie goal: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Or, if you've already done that and still have cravings around your period, you might consider going to maintenance calories for a day or two. Generally, cravings don't last more than that, and you'll be able to eat more than you are now without gaining any fat. In fact, since you'll still be at deficit for most of the week you'll still lose weight, just not quite as much.
  • kshilliard
    kshilliard Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Need to figure out what it is in the foods that your craving and why?

Besides caffeine, fat and sugar, chocolate also contains important trace minerals, like magnesium, which may be deficient in women prior to and during their menstrual cycles. Changing hormonal levels prior to and during the menstrual cycle can inspire all kinds of food cravings, and chocolate is one of them. So it's important to know what your craving and why..and that will help you make the healthiest decision for yourself...that helps cut down the feelings of guilt. I always crave ice cream with chocolate ice cream with chocolate and nuts. It's the protein, magnesium that I need..so Instead I drink skim milk, raw nuts and a small square of dark chocolate. And I feel a million times better with no guilt. Hope this helps.
  • cgirlygirl
    cgirlygirl Posts: 49
    Options
    You probably don't feel like it..and neither do I but workout! Do yourself that favor! Go for a walk, a jog, get on the elliptical, just move! You will feel better, have exercise calories and you won't feel so restricted. I really don't want to but I am going to the gym! LET'S GO!
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Oikos non fat Greek yogurt is my go to. It comes in many flavors. I also indulge in a piece of light sugar free chocolate.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Up your protein and make sure you're getting enough iron. Unfortunately I have the same fight each month. Exercising, believe it or not actually helps. It makes you feel better and you can have exercise cals to use if needed.
  • redheadedgal
    redheadedgal Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    That was me yesterday. Of course, it wasn't so much craving, just hungry. No matter what I ate, i was hungry 30 minutes later. I wasn't eating bad either. I ended up eating 3000 calories yesterday, but I exercised 1200 calores, so I went to bed with 13 calories to spare. Today is better, so far atleast! Good luck!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    On my first day I allow myself to eat whatever I want and then I exercise like crazy because it helps get rid of my cramps.
    I find it's a pretty productive way to give myself a bit of a cheat but ensure I get a good work out and it all goes towards making the first day more bearable!
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Buy the little squares of Dove dark chocolate, let yourself have at least one to just melt on your tongue and put the bag back somewhere out of site, was always enough for me to get by.
  • wingyanwin
    wingyanwin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i found eating a bit of dark chocolate really helps!
    sometimes the crave is so bad i would melt some dark choco and make a hot choco
    it keeps me feeling full and satisfied!!!
    try~
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    i found eating a bit of dark chocolate really helps!
    sometimes the crave is so bad i would melt some dark choco and make a hot choco
    it keeps me feeling full and satisfied!!!
    try~

You beat me to it ! :laugh:

I completely agree. I would suggest trying Ghirardelli's Midnight Reverie (85%) They sell it at most Walmart stores...OMG that choclate has amazing flavors.
  • celia4711
    celia4711 Posts: 15
    Options
    I used to have simply agonising cramps, mood swings, cravings - the whole deal - until I discovered I was gluten intolerant and cut out gluten. Now my body can go about its monthly business without my uterus torturing me every couple of hours. Obviously if you know you're definitely not gluten intolerant this won't help but it might be worth looking into.
    Simply eating less and exercising also helps.
  • SoVeracious
    SoVeracious Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have this same issue. I usually just eat whatever I am craving... I just monitor the serviing size. If it is something that is high calorie or causes me to go way over then I just make sure I work out a little longer or do a more intense cardio routine.