My vacation NSV

Options
Edited to add: it's sort of a scale victory too I guess, but not intentionally... hope that makes sense, HAHAHA.

Just came back from being away 15 days - 9 days all inclusive (buffets galore and deserts, oh my!) and the remaining days either on the road or in hotels having to eat whatever, whenever. I went HAM just before leaving hoping to give myself a little extra wiggle room and told myself if I gained up to 5lbs, I'd be AOK with that.

I got home lastnight, slept, and woke up this morning to.....

1.2 lbs LOST while away. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

So freakin' stoked. I am now going from full vacation swing into full maintenance without having to be at a deficit again for a month or two as I had anticipated.

Here is what I did while away, in case it helps someone else. It's really all just common sense and good habits I think? But regardless, it worked, and I am so excited.

I did not log while at the all inclusive. I figured it would be too hard, and too stressful. Food wise I filled my plate up first and foremost with steamed veggies (I was lucky they had two varieties at lunch and dinner), fruit, and lean protein (they had plain grilled fish, steak, chicken). I would definitely sample some of the more saucy/calorie dense yummyiness as well, just in smaller portions. Things like sauced veggies and meat, pasta, soup, bread. I ate desert at all 3 meals - breakfast they had to die for chocolate bread, one piece. Lunch was always small, like a mini fruit tart or two, and dinner I always had a full sized desert (or two, a couple of nights). I drank moderately (1-3 drinks) a couple of days, no drinks at all several days, and drank heavy one night (8-10? can't remember, lol). I only drank diet soda and vodka to avoid extra calorie bombs in drinks. Aside from that I drank either tea, water, or diet something - never bothered to "drink" any calories as I preferred to eat them instaead. lol. I ate to "feeling full" most meals, to be honest, which was a bit strange as I really dislike that "distended belly" feeling but we only normally ate 3 times per day instead of my usual 6-7 small meals per day so it was kind of necessary to eat a good bit because it was usually 4 or 5 hours between meals. Not ideal, but it was what it was and it worked alright.

Activities wise there was a good bit of walking to and fro, hubby and I went to the gym 5 or so times to lift heavy (stronglifts), I ran outdoors and on the treadmill a total of probably 8 or so times over the 14 days. We swam, played beach volleyball, did flying trapeze for 2-3 hours, 6 days (MAJOR workout for the whole body and with climbing up a ladder 24 feet each time, a little cardio too I'd say). I did yoga several times either on my own or with a group (they had classes, score!). I also did bodyweight exercises whenever I could - air squats, push ups, planks, abs, etc. just to keep up with my normal routine and ability to feel good.

We drank lots of water the whole time except for the days we were on the road (not fujn to have to stop to pee every 45 minutes when you have 16 or 20 hours ahead of you - sigh).

I am now officially in maintenance mode and couldn't be happier. I love this community for all the support it has given me, and I know I'll continue to lean on MFP and my friends here as I continue my journey into maintaining this weight and healthful lifestyle for life. And maybe lean on some of you for bulk help in the fall? ;)

Replies

• Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
    A lot of people recently have been asking what they can do while going on vacation. Hopefully some of them will be able to read this and follow by example.
  • _namaste_
    _namaste_ Posts: 246
    Options
    Thank you! Maybe I posted in the wrong place since no one is responding... lol!!! :)
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • sailawaykate
    sailawaykate Posts: 126
    Options
    We swam, played beach volleyball, did flying trapeze for 2-3 hours, 6 days

Can I come on vacation with you? :)

Sounds like you had a fun time and congrats on the NSV!
  • _namaste_
    Options
    We swam, played beach volleyball, did flying trapeze for 2-3 hours, 6 days

Can I come on vacation with you? :)

Sounds like you had a fun time and congrats on the NSV!

LOL. :)

I'd love to go back again soon. It was such a blast, so lovely to get away from the stress of daily life just for a little bit. I miss it....
  • _namaste_
    Options
    Awesome job!

Thanks so much! :)
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Flying Trapeze on vacation!? Sounds like so much fun!
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! and congratulations to you on meeting your goals!
  • misspatrice562
    misspatrice562 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • ayanna32
    ayanna32 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    This was a good read, I'm leaving for two weeks in Spain on Monday and I've been wondering how to go about enjoying my vacation and no getting out of my healthy habits, thanks.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    That is great! You could have done a lot worse. You made good choices and don't sound like you had to stress too much over it.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I totally gained over the last week of vacation. Not too bad, and it could have been worse, but I did moderate things.

Props!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!