Sunscreen

Options
I need a good recommendation for a non greasy sunscreen I can wear while running.
I am terrible about wearing sunscreen even though I really need it. I am super pale and have been burned many times in the past. The problem is that I hate the feel of lotions on my skin. I feel like I can't breath, like my skin is being smothered.:noway:
I don't even care much for lotions in the winter but sunscreen is the worst because I use it when I am hot and sweaty.
I would appreciate any recommendations. More natural, less toxic would be a great bonus too.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Banana Boat makes some good sunscreens.

You can check out the website Skin Deep to assess which are toxic and which are not and Paula Begoun's cosmeticscop for effectiveness.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I use - and love - EltaMD Sport. It's not cheap, but it's much more highly rated by the EWG than other sport sunscreens.

http://www.ewg.org/2013sunscreen/about-the-sunscreens/496416/EltaMD_UV_Sport_Very_Water_Resistant_Sunscreen,_SPF_50_/

I buy it on Amazon.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I am all about natural/non toxic sunscreens! I wear:

Coola (only their mineral sunscreens though)
    MyChelle
    Devita Solar Protective Moisturizer

All go on with a non-greasy or thick feel and do not clog my pores! They are a little more expensive than drugstore sunscreens but nothing compares to the quality!
  • slainte35
    slainte35 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find that Neutrogena Helioplex dry touch works great. I find it is not greasy especially when it mixes with sweat when I run and mountain bike.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your answers. That gives me a lot of options to look into and places to do some research.
    I knew you guys would know!!
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I can tell you ones I dont like. Yes to Carrots and Burts Bees. Both are very thick and hard to rub in.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I find that Neutrogena Helioplex dry touch works great. I find it is not greasy especially when it mixes with sweat when I run and mountain bike.

I like that one for my face. No-Ad Sport everywhere else.
  • aimeev2
    aimeev2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use Water Babies spray-on sunscreen. It's great if you have any kind of sunscreen sensitivity, goes on dry-feeling, and stays put. Good luck!
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I can tell you ones I dont like. Yes to Carrots and Burts Bees. Both are very thick and hard to rub in.

I second the Burts Bees one. I burned though that, and there was barely any sun.
  • MindyBlack
    Options

I second the Burts Bees one. I burned though that, and there was barely any sun.

Thanks! It may be even more helpful to know what not to buy. I hate wasting good money.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Bare Minerals do a powder one you brush on.

I use Avon SPF 50 - yeah, I'm that pale.
  • KristyTonn
    KristyTonn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like any of the spray on ones....can't stand the lotion feel...Neutrogena is great, especially the Ultra Sheer, as well as Banana boat spray on ones. I have even used store brands of the spray on ones, and these I like as well.
    For my face, I tend to use the Neutrogena Ultra sheer lotions. But I have also sprayed the spray ones in my hand, then rubbed it on my face....
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options

This was going to be my suggestion. This is what Brian uses when he's out riding his motorcycle and he needs it to be non greasy due to obvious reasons.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Banana Boat makes some good sunscreens.

^ I like their products too. The Sport version is good, and not too greasy/thick at all.
  • MindyBlack
    Options

This was going to be my suggestion. This is what Brian uses when he's out riding his motorcycle and he needs it to be non greasy due to obvious reasons.
    Oh my gosh!! I was like, "I didn't say that". Until you said Brian. Haha. I am pathetic.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    any that say sport spf 50 or higher
    i got a sport one spf 50- h.e.b. solutions but mine is greasy
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Hawaiian Tropic does an oil-free, sensitive skin, spray-on sunscreen that isn't greasy at all. Mine is 50 SPF.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    No-Ad sport spray SPF 50 is good, and for really high index days, Banana Boat Kids waterproof spray SPF 110 is very good. Wal-Mart has the lowest prices on both by a long shot. No-Ad comes in the big cans and lasts a while.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,853 Member
    Options

I liked Helioplex until I doscovered that it was staining the upholstery of my husband's classic car. Ouch!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I posted a similiar question recently. You can read this thread for some more options. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/985835-facial-spf-that-doesn-t-cause-blemishes

And I'll be checking this thread for more info as well.