What are you aiming for-- Goal size or goal weight?

Options
So as I was going through the success stories on here, I found out that many people were aiming to lose certain number of pounds but they reached their goal size way before their goal weight. Also many said that the number on scale got stuck several times but they dropped inches nevertheless.

So keeping this in perspective, isn't it better to have a goal size rather than goal weight? What are you striving for?

Replies

• FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    That is a very good question.
    For me, goal size of UK 14 would do me fine! But it would be nice to reach a target weight too!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what I would actually want in a goal size - I think I will buy a tape measure this weekend and start measuring myself to get an accurate idea. Right now, I've only been measuring by my belt, lol. Still, I have no clue what a good measuring size would be. I would never want to compare it to others because I have an odd body shape: My band size (for bras) is large for my cup size, but I actually carry my weight in my thighs. I don't have a big butt though! xD Instead of my stomach growing outward, it more tends to grow side-to-side (like with big love handles).

I can't say that I dislike my body type - my stomach is quite flat for my size, but I don't think I could determine a "good" place to be with size. In terms of clothing size, that's a mess because US sizes are terrible and I'm petite on top of it.

Maybe goal weight is just simpler. xD
  • angelicamendoza2
    angelicamendoza2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i would be happy with 189 :) far from it :(
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My goal is to look in the mirror and not hate what I see. That's all I want. Not sure what weight that is though.
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    I'm sort of aiming for both. I set a GW and an UGW for myself. I set the UGW when I realized I was getting closer to the GW and realized I could still lose some more. My GW is 150, I'm now currently at 150.2, starting from 172.8. If I didn't lose another lb I'd be ok with it, but not thrilled with it. My UGW weigh is to be 140. My goal size is a size 8 US. I'm currently in a 10. If I get to 145 and I'm a size 8, thats great. However, I think I may have to aim more for 135 for a size 8.

To each their own is what it really is. Like I said, I have both goals.
  • Amyy1982
    Amyy1982 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would love to reach my healthy weight which is 168lbs so I'm aiming for 160 or so but size 10 would be nice also :)
  • natmckn
    natmckn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that US sizes are not the best barometer for keeping a goal size in mind. I'm a different size in every store, and sometimes my size varies in the SAME store... Old Navy for example is ridiculous. Anyway because of that I'd rather focus on my goal weight and goal measurements.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I'm actually shooting for a goal body fat percentage under 20%. How much I weigh at that body fat percentage has changed by as much as 5 lbs, depending on how much I work out, but I really like how I look and feel at that body fat percentage.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have the number 140 (pounds) in mind but I have enough to lose, I'm really focusing on being healthier and I'll reevaluate the number when I get closer. I've never been close to that weight as an adult, so I can't shoot for a size, I don't know what it is!
  • canadianhockeymom
    Options
    Hi, I just joined today and never thought of using size as my goal, so this is a very interesting question. For now, I will be striving for my goal weight. We were on a family get away this past weekend, and looking at the pictures of myself with my adult children, I am embarrassed of the way i look. I don't want to stop having my pictures taken, but that is how I feel as of right now. I need to at least 30 pounds, and then go from there.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    A little of both. I set myself smaller goals so I dont get overwhelmed but I do have an end weight goal in mind, and at that goal weight I will probably be at a size 16 - give or take. But, I also plan to re-evaluate once I reach that goal.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    images_zps02d30a8f.jpeg
  • xXCammyxX
    xXCammyxX Posts: 7
    Options
    My first goal is to get out of the 200s. Once I achieve that goal I am rewarding myself with a haircut and highlights.
    I haven't been under 200 since I was 17 or 18, so 11 years ago. I started at 260 pounds.

Once I am there I will re-evaluate :o)
  • soontobemomma
    Options
    I have to agree that US sizes are not the best barometer for keeping a goal size in mind. I'm a different size in every store, and sometimes my size varies in the SAME store... Old Navy for example is ridiculous. Anyway because of that I'd rather focus on my goal weight and goal measurements.

Hmmm ... so may be then have a goal measurement in mind. I like this idea. And I agree with everyone on not knowing what size we end up with. Because I have not worn size 28( size 8) Jeans since I was 12. I am now aiming for size 26 waist size jeans ( size 4 I think). But to tell you the truth, I really don't know if my body can achieve that. THAT is my ultimate goal size. But I know I was size 10 a couple years back so it is easy to imagine myself wearing that in a few months. But my ultimate goal size.... I just am blank ..lol!
    So may be then it is easier to have a goal weight in my mind. That which is measured is managed. hmmmm.
  • dmwells3
    dmwells3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't have a size in mind, but my UMG is to hit 140 pounds and around 22% BF. I've been there before and like it.
  • kburrows82
    kburrows82 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For me I am mostly goal size..... I would like to be about a 12/14 which would put in in the weight range of 190-210 ish. I have a pretty decent shape even at 330lbs and size 22/24. I am broad shouldered wide hips so I know that I will always be a little on the larger side of the scale and Im ok with that. That is why I am more size based :)
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm really trying hard not to care what I weigh. I've been 135 lbs and a size 10 and 148 lbs and size 10. More a focus on lower fat/smaller measurements/taking up less space, rather than a gravitational pull. A size 6 would be what I consider the ideal size for me.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    I want to get to 130 lbs, maintain a size 4-6, and hopefully lose 2-3 inches on my waist. Once I achieve this, I'll be thrilled!!
  • Bigmarc9762
    Options
    Good morning Fitness Pals! I just joined the site and started cycling about a month ago. My goal is to lose about 25lbs as a start and go from there. I am starting to get in a routine with cycling and weight training. I also run races and have ran half marathons and 10 milers. at least three times a year combo. My bike training route is here in Washington, DC at Haines Point. One lap is approximately 3.2 miles. Yesterday I hit the gym in the am and then in the pm went by myself to the Point and cranked out 6 laps in some good humidity. I am a bit sore but I like the feeling knowing I was able to maintain about 17/18 mph and crank out that mileage w/o really planning to do so. I'm a big and tall guy who use to play football in college so I'm still carrying that weight. I'm 6'3 280. Today I will run 2 to 3 miles.

Staying motivated! Congrats to those who are working and meeting their goals!