what exactly is to "eat clean"?

Options
Celebi03
Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
Ever since I joined MFP, I hear those two words a lot. I don't understand the concept of "eat clean". I mean, ever since I've changed my diet I still eat potatoes, pasta, rice(portions) and still lose weigh but according to some people, I'm not "eating clean" enough.

Replies

• redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It means eating natural foods with only natural ingredients. (basically nothing artificial or with added chemicals/preservatives.)
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    To me eating clean (which I don't) is avoiding processed foods and foods with artificial sweeteners, colors, etc. A person who eats clean would never eat fat free ice cream or light mayo. They would eat real haagen daz and homemade mayo.
  • Susieout
    Susieout Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It's not a phrase we use in the U.K.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    It varies person to person. But basically means eating whole foods and avoiding processed foods.

Pasta and rice are things you can be clean foods depending on who you ask and what kind they are.
  • photosarah
    photosarah Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My understanding of the phrase means no processed foods and no chemicals (no chemicals also meaning no food sprayed with pesticides).
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    My understanding of the phrase means no processed foods and no chemicals (no chemicals also meaning no food sprayed with pesticides).

Well that would be a one way ticket to the grave, guess clean eating isn't all it's cracked up to be
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Dusting the dust off the pack of doritos on the shelf.

But seriously, anything that has a mother is "clean" I suppose.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    To me eating clean (which I don't) is avoiding processed foods and foods with artificial sweeteners, colors, etc. A person who eats clean would never eat fat free ice cream or light mayo. They would eat real haagen daz and homemade mayo.

I thought processed foods was anything made by a company?
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I looked up this to find I eat clean anyway just didnt realise it!!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Ever since I joined MFP, I hear those two words a lot. I don't understand the concept of "eat clean". I mean, ever since I've changed my diet I still eat potatoes, pasta, rice(portions) and still lose weigh but according to some people, I'm not "eating clean" enough.

My advice would be if you are losing weight and your diet is something you enjoy and you feel is sustainable, then just keep on keeping on.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Basically, what I TRY to do, is: don't eat anything I can't pronounce. Look at labels and if you see a list of chemicals, it's better to move on to a different product. Even better, eat things that don't have a list of ingredients: fruits, veggies, meats, seeds, nuts, oils, etc.

Edited for failed coding
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    If it has a label, it probably isn't "clean".
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Basically, what I TRY to do, is: don't eat anything I can't pronounce. Look at labels and if you see a list of chemicals, it's better to move on to a different product. Even better, eat things that don't have a list of ingredients: fruits, veggies, meats, seeds, nuts, oils, etc.

Edited for failed coding

A brief introduction to phonics would vastly expand your menu.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Eating clean simply means eating food that is as close to it's natural state as possible. No processing or heavy preservatives.

Also see Paleo Diet

i.e.
    freshly snapped green beans = clean
    canned/frozen green beans = not so clean

organic boneless chicken breasts = clean
    Oscar Myer deli chicken slices = not clean

Usually if it's in a plastic bag or a box (aside from grains like oats and rice) it is most likely not clean. If you stick to the perimeter of the grocery store that's where your clean foods can usually be found. If it can sit on a shelf for months and months you probably do not want to put it in your body.

Oh... flash frozen is considered clean as well (good for fish/poultry)
  • shaxmath
    shaxmath Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just steer clear of the canned stuff and eat a lot of veggies and fruits. But I also eat white rice and bread and potatoes. I figure that as long as you eat these things in moderation, it's alright. There's no really clear definition, I think but for most people, eating clean means eating more fruits and veggies..hope it helps you!
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Eating clean means that you clean your food properly before you eat it

EdibleShower-480x340.jpg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Eating clean simply means eating food that is as close to it's natural state as possible. No processing or heavy preservatives.

Also see Paleo Diet

i.e.
    freshly snapped green beans = clean
    canned/frozen green beans = not so clean

organic boneless chicken breasts = clean
    Oscar Myer deli chicken slices = not clean

Usually if it's in a plastic bag or a box (aside from grains like oats and rice) it is most likely not clean. If you stick to the perimeter of the grocery store that's where your clean foods can usually be found. If it can sit on a shelf for months and months you probably do not want to put it in your body.

You already contradicted yourself, how did the chicken breasts get boneless, perhaps through processing!?
  • janisskoczylas
    janisskoczylas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I hate the idea that eating "clean" is so complicated. I had someone tell me the other day that the food we buy at the farmers' market isn't "real" food unless it is certified organic. o_O Way to make it even more difficult for the average Jane to eat "good". Bottomline, you shouldn't be eating fast food and processed food every meal. I try to eat clean, so I try to avoid lean cuisines and McD's. I grow and eat a lot and can as much as I can of my own veggies and fruits. We raise our own pork. We hardly ever eat out, and very rarely fast food. I think I eat mostly clean, but I don't obsess about it. Moderation.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    It's not a phrase we use in the U.K.

Yes it is!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If it has a label, it probably isn't "clean".

And the problem with that definition:

2qdoh28.jpg