Is there such a thing as too much fruit?

Options

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    From wiki answers "can eating too much fruit cause diabetes?"

I personally would not trust medical advice from a wikki...

Dr Bernstein is actually a board certified doctor who has Type 1 diabetes and went back to med school in his later years at his own expense to prove to the medical world that carbs, like fruit play more of a role in diabetes creation AND control than what anyone at the time was willing to admit. All carbs, including fruit raise blood sugar and that is not good for a person who has diabetes or a person who is clinically over weight which is now considered "pre-diabetic".

Because of Bernstein's research and determination today a low carb diet (under a 40-100 carbs) is now #1 protocol that is advised to control diabetes and pre-diabetes (obesity). Also many are finding that adhering to a strict low carb diet (under 50 carbs) nearly ALWAYS reverses Type 2 Diabetes. In order to achieve that reducing your fruit intake is a must at first and then it can be increased but only by balancing it with both protein and fat and staying in a macro balance and a calorie target. And for Bernstein keeping your calories in check is as important as eating low carb.

For more info see his website http://www.diabetes-book.com/index.shtml

Yes there are all kinds of medical groups that argue with him that the diet is not sustainable in the long run, but regardless it is the cure to type 2. The medical profession is not without its own bias. The medical world enjoys getting kick backs from pharma companies and as long as people have diabetes they will need insulin and medications to control their blood sugar.

That is money in the bank for both doctors and pharma companies so why would any of them tell you to reduce carbs (ie fruit) if it will take away from their revenue source???

Fruit in moderation is fine. It is low calorie and many fruits are low on the Glycemic Index and high in fiber. But too much and it is just as bad as eating too much pasta or potatoes. It will spike your blood sugar and that done repeatedly over time damages the liver and the pancreas leading to both diabetes and fatty liver.

You data is mistinterpreted. Obesity is a far greater cause of diabetes than fruit. Furthermore, epidemiology links increased fruit intake with a decreased risk of obesity. So sure, if you're already obese and already have diabetes, then you need to watch your fruit intake. However, if you don't have diabetes yet then you really don't have to worry much about your fruit intake unless you're really eating a ton of it.

And then there is the plethora of other health benefits of fruit: fiber, antioxidants, etc.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    In regard to "too much fruit," i heard some rumor that Steve jobs was a fruitarian and ate almost all fruit, and that might be why he got pancreatic cancer. So I wouldn't recommend becoming a fruititarian.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    When fruitbats, hummingbirds and turtles start developing diabetes...maybe I will take this seriously.

This ... is terrible logic. Since vultures thrive eating diseased, rotting corpses, maybe you'd like to suggest that diseased, rotting corpses wouldn't be bad for us to eat either?
  • sailawaykate
    sailawaykate Posts: 126
    Options
    Depends on the type of fruit you're eating. Lots of fruit salad with syrup or juice (juice is nice, but sugar loaded without the benefit of fiber) is not getting you anywhere.

While fruit is nutrient dense and has lots of good qualities, it does tend to have quite a bit of sugar, and some fruits (like bananas) are more sugar-dense than others.

I would err on the side of less fruit, and aim for those packed with the most punch! Think apples, berries, and other whole fruits (i.e. if it's in a can, just leave it on the shelf at the grocery store, lol).
  • fastfoodv
    fastfoodv Posts: 41
    Options
    Fruit is very good for us. It has nutrients such as vitamin C, potassium, fiber and more. It is low in calorie, sodium and fat and is cholesterol free. I like to tell people to eat their colors, as the various hues contain different beneficial properties.

Fruit can aid in health by helping us maintain weight. Its fiber can assist in keeping us regular and full and its nutrients, such as its antioxidants, can aid in warding off certain conditions such as heart disease and some cancers. It can also affect overall immunity and body function. So definitely enjoy fruit.

But can you have too much of even a good thing? Yes. Too much fruit can add up the calories. For example, some fruit smoothies and other concoctions can be loaded with calories. If you’re diabetic, fruit affects blood sugar and serving sizes need to be monitored and paired with protein for blood sugar control. And those who have high triglycerides may benefit from cutting back on fruit intake.

Two to four servings of fruit per day is a good guideline for most. A serving size is equal to half a banana or one small one, a small to medium piece of whole fruit, 17 small grapes, ¾ cup of blueberries or two level tbsp of raisins. There are a lot of good Web sites that provide comprehensive serving size guides.
  • fruityfitness
    Options
    im hopefully starting a fruitarian diet from wednesday and gonna try work out everyday...i worked out my bmr as 1382 so if i eat 1000 cal and work out 700 id be burning 1000 cal of stored fat! thoughts?
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I eat as much fruit and vegetables as I want, its that processed western manufactured **** that I try not to eat lol:laugh:
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, my friend. Fruit, fruit and more fruit. Fruit for breakfast, fruit for mid-morning snack, fruit for afternoon snack, fruit for evening snack. Seeing the pattern? They are my snacks and it's what keeps me from reaching for crap (chips, cookies, etc.) Now I get that someone is going to come along and say something really brilliant like "well just don't eat the crap" but I'm hungry, truly hungry, my stomach is growling and if I eat fruit, I won't eat something else. So it's what works for me.

Now having said all that I'm hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) so I'm not affected by sugar intake. I would say if you're predisposed to diabetes, the fruit could be an issue (my diabetic husband has to be careful with his fruit intake), but if you have healthy blood sugar levels, the fruit isn't going to be the cause of your diabetes.

As for the stomach distress, it's never been a problem for me. Even at 8 - 10 servings per day, I am regular but not overly so.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    ahhh no no and NO and NOOOOOOOOO....explore the true causes of Diabetes..you may be surprised...:)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Not unless you eat so much you puke. Then you just wasted the fruit AND your time.
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    completely false...fruit does not has never and will not turn into triglycerides...as a student of biochemistry I know the truth here..
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything isn't good.

Although the case with diabetes really isn't valid. Fruits are high in fiber and fiber regulates blood glucose and insulin

^^^ this

and tell your friend to call the local zoo and warn the zookeeper not to feed fruit to all the other species of primates

although having said that too much fruit at one time can cause diarrhoea in humans, and in chimpanzees too apparently.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Fruit rocks. Eat up, Buttercup.
  • IzzyM210
    IzzyM210 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Apparently,yes...too much sugar, even natural sugar in fruits is bad in excess.I don't know about the diabetes thing though. I would cut down by half.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    In regard to "too much fruit," i heard some rumor that Steve jobs was a fruitarian and ate almost all fruit, and that might be why he got pancreatic cancer. So I wouldn't recommend becoming a fruititarian.

Ashton Kutcher hospitalised after adopting Steve Jobs' fruitarian diet

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/ashton-kutcher-hospitalised-after-adopting-steve-jobs/295296#rkyvlkWHxWA7PVzl.99
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    too much of anything is bad.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Ashton Kutcher hospitalised after adopting Steve Jobs' fruitarian diet

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/ashton-kutcher-hospitalised-after-adopting-steve-jobs/295296#rkyvlkWHxWA7PVzl.99

Didn't know steve Jobs was a fruitarian

The problem with the fruitarian diet isn't the fruit, it's the lack of anything else. It's deficient in many essential nutrients including protein.

but yeah, too much of anything will be bad for you if you take it to ridiculous enough levels.... and a diet that's too restrictive will lead to nutritional deficiency of one kind or another.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes you can eat too much fruit---but some of those rumors, good grief!
    Eat 2-3 pieces of raw fruit a day. An apple, some blueberries, strawberries or a pear. Stay away from canned fruit--it often
    has sugar added.
    Good luck!
  • rachelwarner32
    rachelwarner32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When I did weight watchers I was allowed to eat fruit and veggies and didn't have to count them into my points. With that said I lost 30 pounds in about 2-3 months. I'm no expert but I'd say they're ok especially if they keep you from wanting cakes and pies :happy: